• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Mini Build

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
So I’ve gotten my heart set on building up a Howa mini. I’m pretty set on building it up with the following setup:

-Howa mini 20” barrel in 223 or 6mm arc
-JTAC industries elf owl chassis
-arca mlok bottom rail
-LPVO scope (like 1-6 or 1-8) in qd mount
-thermal atn lt scope with qd mount
-TBAC ultra 7 suppressor

So what I’m trying to build is a lightweight pack rifle that can be taken on trips easily and have day/night hunting capability. I’m undecided on caliber. A 223 would be great for ammo price/availability but is mostly limited to small game. A 6mm arc is good for small game and possibly up to deer size but ammo availability and longevity of the caliber is questionable. I already have a 6.5 Grendel but in some states that I hunt coyotes you are limited to 6mm or smaller. As such 6.5 is off the table.

I’d like to build up a kit of sort where I can easily swap the day scope for a thermal to night hunt with. I have used larue qd mounts in the past and have been satisfied with them. I know some testing has show that they have poi shift so I’m curious what a good alternative is?

The primary purpose of the rifle is as a lightweight predator hunting rifle off a tripod. I may be tempted to deer hunt with it too at some point. It will also be used for shooting steel of course. As I may be forced to move to a ban state at some point, I want a bolt action that can replace the jobs that my AR’s normally perform. What do you guys think of this list?

I have a howa mini-action 223 and enjoy it very much . Mine shoot's very well and 77 grain match kings excellent . I have a 20 moa scope rail on mine and I believe the company is called outer limit's . I thought about getting a different stock for mine but it really isn't that bad so I am just letting that hang out there for now maybe later . Bite the bullet and order you some extra mags from legacy sport's I know 36.00 sounds high for mags but I paid the same price for bergara 22lr magazine's . It is what it is . I killed a deer this year with my howa 100 yds no problem dropped where he stood . enjoy because I the end nobody is funding your rifle but you so build what you want .

What state has a maximum caliber for shooting coyotes? I didn't know that was a thing anywhere in the free world. I've heard of minimums, and I think South Dakota has a maximum caliber at night only, (which I think is like .277?). Michigan has a night time only limit of 6.5 maybe?

What state has a maximum caliber for shooting coyotes? I didn't know that was a thing anywhere in the free world. I've heard of minimums, and I think South Dakota has a maximum caliber at night only, (which I think is like .277?). Michigan has a night time only limit of 6.5 maybe?
I thought I saw a guy the other day saying they were limited at night to 243 or something of that nature in Kentucky .

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
Can you imagine the possum cop that writes you a ticket for shooting coyotes with a 6.5 grendel? That dude wore a "kick me" sign on his back all throughout high school, and was left inside lockers against his will.

• Haha
Reactions: sparky702
Not the “free world” but my parents own a farm in NJ (I know what everyone thinks). I go back a few times a year and do a lot of hunting there. The farm borders about 65,000 acres of public hunting land. We just built a 650 yard range on it this summer. The law for coyote hunting is no larger than 6mm or heavier than 80 grains.

I ended up picking the 223 20” barreled action from brownells. I figure I’d shoot a lot more with a 223 and it’ll be nice to train with a round thats not quite as flat as a 6mm ARC. I have plenty of other rifles for deer hunting anyways.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway