• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa mini HB profile

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Going to be ordering a howage barrel in 6.5 grendel for my wife's mini to replace the factory pencil barrel. It fouls horribly after 25ish rounds.

My question is, what do you think the barrel profile is for the stock howa mini HB?

The reason I am trying to get close to it is because we are dropping her action in a boyds at-one that will be inletted for the factory HB. I don't mind having to remove a little in the barrel channel, but I don't want to remove a lot if I can avoid it.

Not sure how helpful it is but at the end of the forend of my Bell & Carlson stock the diameter is .775" and .725" inches at the muzzle.
Scopes where in the way so difficult to measure the starting diameter at the action

I am just bad a identifying the proper contour. To me a straight taper, sporter, or palma all look the same.

Looks like ~0.72" at the muzzle. If you'd be interested in a much heavier contour, shoot me a PM, I have a 6.5G Howage barrel on my Mini 1500 that's basically brand new, stainless McGowen, cerakoted and threaded, and I never shoot it. I wouldn't mind moving that fella along down the road.

ETA: Ah, sorry, just saw you're getting the stock pre-inletted, not looking for a new barrel. I had to do some substantial hogging-out of my B&C stock for my McG barrel, it's heavier than I think you want.

Last edited:
A few years ago I got one of Boyd's laminated stocks for my Ruger GSR that needed some relieving in the barrel channel. Pretty surprised at how soft their wood was. It didn't take much time at all to alter the contour using a half-round file and sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

Ah, sorry, just saw you're getting the stock pre-inletted, not looking for a new barrel. I had to do some substantial hogging-out of my B&C stock for my McG barrel, it's heavier than I think you want.

I'm trying to do both actually. My wife's howa has the lightweight sporter barrel, and it can't maintain accuracy through a whole day without cleaning.

We are also replacing her stock with a boyds, because she is so short and they have best was to snag a 12.5" LOP without paying for a full chasis. So our plan is to get the stock AND rebarrel, but I am trying to find the closest contour option to the factory HB. I don't want to order the wrong contour and have the thing weigh as much as truck axle. I know I will have to carve some out because it won't be exactly the same profile, but I am just trying to find out which of the standard options is the "closest" to the factory HB offering.

Typically a factory pencil barrel will be a 1 or 2 sporter. Depends on what manufacturer though because they aren’t all the same. You should measure it at a few points along it to match.

If you’re dropping it in a heavy ass boyds you aren’t That concerned with weight. I would go a bit thicker to a 5 or so that’s thick enough for threading and will like take a few more rounds before heating up. Only cut it a bit shorter to compensate. That will pull the center of gravity back and it will feel lighter in the hands with it more evenly distributed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptNemo
So apparently preferred barrels has a very good breakdown of their barrel contours and what sets them apart from each other. If I had spent more time clicking around their site in the first place I would have answered my own questions. =P

Looks like ~0.72" at the muzzle. If you'd be interested in a much heavier contour, shoot me a PM, I have a 6.5G Howage barrel on my Mini 1500 that's basically brand new, stainless McGowen, cerakoted and threaded, and I never shoot it. I wouldn't mind moving that fella along down the road.

Older thread, but sent you a pm on this.