• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Mini in 6mm ARC

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Just put this together for Mrs. Walter. It's about 3 lbs. lighter than her AR in 6mm ARC with the same scope.

The scope is a little further back than I like, but we'll see what she says.

Haven't been to the range yet, but maybe tomorrow.

'Stick is spot on about 22" barrel being muzzle heavy. A chop and regular bottom metal might be in the future after she wrings this out. We'll see.

Scope is an Athlon Helos 2-12 in Arken 30mm lightweight rings on aluminum Weaver bases.

Advertised weight for the bare rifle is 4 lb. 10 oz, and that seems right.

214386.jpg

214387.jpg

I built my Mini in 6 RAT 4-5yrs ago, just as soon as I could get my hands on a Mini bbl'd action in 6.5 Grendel. Used a Krieger light Palma 1-8tw and finished it at 24", then put into a McMillan Game Scout with DIP aluminum DBM to replace the cheesy plastic unit. Don't recall now whether the 20 MOA sloped scope rail was from EGW or Warne, but I set up an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 in TPS TSR rings, and with a TBAC flash suppressor/mount, it weighs 9.75lbs. If I had it to do over, I'd have gone with a lighter contour bbl - Krieger #4 sporter or Bartlein #3 - and finished it at 22". But the light Palma was the lightest blank I hand on hand, and I was impatient to get it finished & shooting. Your wife's 6 ARC looks like it'd be a delight to carry while walking, and it's bound to swing nicer on running game than mine.
The lower rifle in the photo is another Mini in 20 Tactical with a Bartlein #2B in 1-9tw in a Boyds ProVarmint with adjustable CP. The laminated wood stock with CP hardware is no lightweight, but I built it with the thought of shooting prairie dogs off a bench with it.

Attachments

• DSC_1171.JPG
    DSC_1171.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
I just built this one for my father in 6.5 Grendel. PendletonUltralight stock, Oregunsmithing Obendorff style Bottom Metal and a Leupold 3-9. A good sub Moa rifle with light recoil.

Attachments

• E281749F-9942-4B12-9496-96D7D71855E0.jpeg
    E281749F-9942-4B12-9496-96D7D71855E0.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 245
  • A69B9780-1A98-49AA-8329-78CDA26C8297.jpeg
    A69B9780-1A98-49AA-8329-78CDA26C8297.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: 2c1fr
$185+ shipping. I also got the stock from the same place.

My Legacy Intnl. sales rep had 40+ of the Mini rifles in 6ARC that he was running a special on several months ago, so I ordered a couple of them in. I was disappointed because in the email ad he sent, they listed the muzzle threads as 5/8-24, so I figured the bbl's would be at least heavy enough to work with that thread. When they arrived, the threaded muzzle was just barely large enough to work with the 1/2-28 thread that they used. I haven't shot either one of them, as I bought them to re-sell, but this is a lighter bbl than I'd want for myself.

I used TBAC 9/16-24 flash suppressor/mounts on three lighter Bartlein & Krieger bbls that I put on Mini rifles I did for myself in 223AI, 22 & 6.5 Grendel, and they work well with my Gen 2 Ultra 7 which has the 6.5mm aperture. Not sure if anyone makes a suppressor with 6.5mm aperture & 1/2-28 threads that would work on the light factory 6 ARC barrels. Just for reference, the 223AI Mini weighs 8.5lbs in a B&C sporter-style stock/Jefferson Outdoors aluminum DBM, with its Kreiger #4 sporter contour finished at 24", and a rather heavy Weaver Super Slam 4-20x50 scope mounted on a EGW 20 MOA sloped scope rail.

Attachments

• DSC_0305.JPG
    DSC_0305.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 121
Does anyone have experience with their CZ mag bottom metal for the Mini?
I recently bought a CZ527 mag for the 6.5 Grendel for the purpose of getting that DBM for a Mini I chambered for 22 Grendel because of the issues I've had with feeding with the poly mags in DIP DBM. Haven't ordered it yet, but still thinking about it.

I like my little 6 ARC, Stocky's VGM and LoLo Tactical bottom metal. Still waiting on the Talley Lightweight mounts for all 3 to arrive so I can remount a couple of scopes and get a scope on this one.

IMG_8098.jpeg

nobody ever wishes for a blind magazine.
maybe an internal magazine with a hinged floorplate, but NOBODY wishes for a blind magazine

You would be wrong, I have two rifles specifically built with a ADL style magazine setup, both 358 Winchester on 700/7 actions

You would be wrong, I have two rifles specifically built with a ADL style magazine setup, both 358 Winchester on 700/7 actions
And some folks eat their steak well done.
Up to you, but there is no benefit to the blind magazine over a hinged floorplate setup.

And some folks eat their steak well done.
Up to you, but there is no benefit to the blind magazine over a hinged floorplate setup.

I didn't argue the merits of benefits, I simply stated that some people do build ADL style rifles, in fact when I build my mountain rifle, it too will be an ADL style with a Manners EH1 stock.