• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa Mini M40 Build

ColtSAA.45

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2017
Beaufort, SC
So I went ahead and finally built the rifle I've been envisioning for the last few months. It is very loosely based on a m40a5 look:

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 11.36.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 11.36.15 PM.png

Build details are:

-Howa Mini 223 HB barreled action from Brownells
-B&C M40 Stock
-DIP Inc Bottom metal and mag release
-TBAC 1/2-28 flash hider and TBAC .30 Ultra 7
-Outer Impact 20 MOA rail
-Leupold Mk3hd 3-9x40 Mil-Dot
-Harris BRM
-M1907 sling

I've decided on using 53gr V-max as the primary load. With 25.4gr H335 I am getting 1/2 MOA groups at 3120 fps. One of the big gripes about the leupold mk3hd is that it maxes out at 5.6 mil. For my purposes with shooting moderate weight 223, this allows for about 700 yards of elevation. This distance is right about where the bullet goes transonic, so I am happy with the max distance. Another complaint with the Mk3hd is the thick reticle. With the non-fire dot models, the reticle is very crisp and this scope has a nice mil-dot. I am very happy with it. The HACT trigger on the rifle is pretty great. I clipped a coil off the trigger spring and now have a very nice and light 2 stage trigger.

I am very happy with how the rifle turned out. These howa minis are diamonds in the rough. Many of the parts they come with leave much to be desired but with some inexpensive upgrades, they can be made into excellent rifles. I expect this rifle to put down many groundhogs, prairie dogs, and coyotes in the years to come. It is a super fun rifle to play around with at the range as well.

That looks really nice and also will be a lot of fun at the range and pdog towns. I have liked the 53 VMax in the 223 Rem with H335 25.2gr. It runs just around 2900fps in a 16-inch barrel. Guessing the Howa HB has a 20-inch barrel so maybe it will run 3000fps. :)

That looks really nice and also will be a lot of fun at the range and pdog towns. I have liked the 53 VMax in the 223 Rem with H335 25.2gr. It runs just around 2900fps in a 16-inch barrel. Guessing the Howa HB has a 20-inch barrel so maybe it will run 3000fps. :)
Yeah this is a 20” barrel. I was honestly hoping I’d get higher velocity than that load and a 20” barrel. It groups well and has low es and sd between shots so I’m happy with it.

Sorry, I should have read closer - 3120fps and 1/2 MOA. That works! and it looks like an accuracy node or close to it, enjoy the heck out of it. You have me drooling for one now..

Older thread but that is really close to what I’d like to put together.
Any idea what that rig weighs all up?
Thanks!

Older thread but that is really close to what I’d like to put together.
Any idea what that rig weighs all up?
Thanks!
Hey sorry for the late reply! The whole rig is about 8 lbs without the suppressor attached. Keep in mind that the tbac flash hider is pretty heavy so that adds to the overall weight. With a direct thread suppressor, the weight would be a few ounces less