• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa thread size - options for reusing Savage threaded barrel

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I figured some smart people here may be able to help.

Short end of it...I picked up a Howa 1500 BA in 6.5 CM for next to nothing with the intent of getting a new 308 barrel. Not an issue other than a long wait for a Howage or an expense new barrel spun up by my local Smith. I'm in the project cheap and would like to keep it that way.

But, I have an old Savage 308 barrel sitting in my safe that isn't going to get any use. I have no idea how a M22 x 1.5 thread pattern sizes up compared to a Savage thread pattern. I don't know which larger or if the Savage threads can be re-cut to M22 sizing. Maybe just cut the ass end off the barrel, cut new threads and a new chamber.

Any thoughts or opinions on my chicken shit to chicken salad venture?

Thanks.

Most Savage barrels, barrel nuts, and actions are threaded 1.055"-20.
M22 = .8666"

Most Savage barrels, barrel nuts, and actions are threaded 1.055"-20.
M22 = .8666"

Well...I guess my hair brained idea is still alive. At least in the realm of "with the right amount of money anything is doable".

For the Howa dimensions, does the barrel shank size matter? I've seen blanks from 1.06" to 1.25". Thanks for the information.

Well...I guess my hair brained idea is still alive. At least in the realm of "with the right amount of money anything is doable".

For the Howa dimensions, does the barrel shank size matter? I've seen blanks from 1.06" to 1.25". Thanks for the information.
Absolutely it matters.

The depth of your action needs to be known to match to tenon. You could end up with a bolt that won't close....or worse yet, an unsupported chamber.

Reactions: 308pirate
If you are wanting to do it on a budget but can’t locate a barrel ready to go you might look at sending the action to ER Shaw. Not a super elite barrel, but I don’t think your are looking for that anyway based on your posts. Just send it to them and have them do the chamber, headspacing, etc.

If you are wanting to do it on a budget but can’t locate a barrel ready to go you might look at sending the action to ER Shaw. Not a super elite barrel, but I don’t think your are looking for that anyway based on your posts. Just send it to them and have them do the chamber, headspacing, etc.
I'll check with them. Thanks.

You can buy a short chambered barrel from them then finish chambering it yourself.
I have used a couple of their barrels. They shoot very well and are well made.
I too have used their barrels and action truing services and have been pleasantly surprised. One in particular is extremely accurate with a min SAAMI chamber. I have taken a lot of game with it. A lot of that performance comes from serious reloading efforts with respect to all the components but I have gotten very good results from box ammo as well. For non-PRS hunting rifles I am happy with them.

Google Howa 1500 prefit barrels, and you will find quite a few manufactures that now make Howage (Uses a barrel nut to set the head space.) barrels now.

So, with a barrel nut wrench used with torque wrench and head space gages, you can change the barrel yourself.

Note: They also make them for Remmington now (Remage).

Google Howa 1500 prefit barrels, and you will find quite a few manufactures that now make Howage (Uses a barrel nut to set the head space.) barrels now.

So, with a barrel nut wrench used with torque wrench and head space gages, you can change the barrel yourself.

Note: They also make them for Remmington now (Remage).
I checked and most places had 5 month lead time or greater. I don't feel like rolling the dice on months that would likely end more.

Criterion had 6.5 CM nitrided barrels in stock. But I'm looking for 308.

This is called spending a dollar to save a nickel.....I am not knocking you I have done it many times myself and I always kick myself in the ass in the end.
That's what I'm trying to balance. The barreled action was purchased for a song. I got a Bravo chassis on sale, plus a discount for a blem.

But, I just snagged a new Howa barreled action in 308 - 16.5" barrel. Found a discount code too. I'll sell the 6.5 BA and will be in the 308 BA for $400. El Cheapo victory.

Reactions: Steel+Killer