• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa twist rate

Specnaz22

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2021
Bulgaria
Hello sorry for my stupid question.I want to get Howa 1500 in 6.5 creedmoor. But in my region they have only one with 26" barrel and 1:10" twist rate. I read that 6.5 creedmoor work best with 1:8 twist rate. Should i get her or should i search for something else with different twist rate for long range.

Hello sorry for my stupid question.I want to get Howa 1500 in 6.5 creedmoor. But in my region they have only one with 26" barrel and 1:10" twist rate. I read that 6.5 creedmoor work best with 1:8 twist rate. Should i get her or should i search for something else with different twist rate for long range.
You might want to check that rifles twist rate with shop again.
All Howa 6.5Creedmoor I've seen in last four or so years are 1:8
Legacy don't list any 1:10 6.5Creed
https://www.howausa.com/2021-howa-catalog/
Unless it's a custom barrel??

Reactions: Specnaz22
You can get away with a 10-twist on most bullets but the 140-156gr bullets are marginal to unstable at the MVs that you’re likely to achieve. If you want to shoot 140’s or heavier, find an 8-twist, it’s good for the everything including the Berger 156gr EOL at 2500 fps (at sea level).

Is this a new rifle? As detailed above, Legacy Sports shows 1-8 twist for the 6.5.
I'm not aware of anyone ever putting a 1-10 on a 6.5 anything. Even the original Swedish Mauser had a 1-8.5 or so twist.

The sammi spec is 1/8 so it is highly doubtful it is a 10 twist. It might be stamped 1/8 and the clerk's eyes are worse than mine now and he can't read it correctly