• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howdy from a Norwegian transplant

InvaderZim

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2022
Houston, Texas
Hi all,
Been lurking here on and off for a little while, but strongly trending towards more lately.

I got a job offer in Houston, so wife and I moved ourselves over to the great state of Texas January 2020.

Back in Norway I was pretty active in practical shooting (IPSC), but only handguns in different divisions. As far as rifle and shotguns I had very little to no experience. Had an ambition to catch up on the lag and get somewhat proficient with rifles and shotguns once I got up and running here in the US.

Been to the range a few times with my .223 Wylde AR-15 build and starting to catch the bug. Shooting 1 inch groups @100 yards without knowing too much what I'm doing is turning out to be a lot of fun, but now I want to improve and eventually step up the distances.

So much to learn and so much gear to spend money on. 😉

Welcome,

I visited Norway in September for a vacation. Bergen, Voss, Stavenger were the places we stayed. Visited Preikestolen, Flam railway, Kjeragbolten and the other usual tourist spots in those areas. Incredible beauty in your country. Architecture and civil engineering are obviously highly regarded fields there.

I traveled hundreds of kilometers along rivers and lakes and saw almost no fisherman. I was surprised. Is it highly regulated?

Did you shoot any Stangskyting? I tried to time my visit during a competition but could not find one.

I was born in Bergen in fact, but mostly grew up in Northern Norway in the town my parents were from. North of the arctic circle.
The west coast is pretty dramatic for sure, seems you got to visit the highlights.

Fishing in the rivers is pretty regulated, yes. But river fishing is for the most part for salmon, so very seasonal (and very expensive). On lakes you can pretty much fish as you like, and of course from the sea. I think going out by boat and fish in the sea is more popular, the payoff in terms of catch is magnitudes larger. Like, 0.5 pound Trout, vs 25 pound Cod. There's a way bigger variety of species to catch in the ocean as well.

Had to look up Stangskyting in fact. That's some nifty bolt action work. Don't know how often it's held, the only references I can find on it in Norwegian are linked to "Landsskytterstevnet", the Norwegian Rifle championships held yearly. There's ~3500-7000 participants at these, so a pretty big meet.

Reactions: Xcount