• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howdy from SC…

danbrew

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2011
Howdy, danbrew here. Not quite “new” to the forum, but don’t believe I’ve posted until today. Joined back in 2011 or so, so I’d bet that I’m an ”old guy” (that’s for sure), yet now that I have something to say, thought I’d introduce myself. Southern boy that married a girl from Chicago - what they don’t tell you when that happens is that you’d better plan on moving to Chicago. So, yeah, about that. Spent 30 years in Chicago and raised two awesome kids. The kids went off to college and me & the better half looked at each other and were like, “what the hell?” So we literally dropped the 2nd kid at college and turned around and drove to SC where we’ve been for the last five years. Former 11B, ten years, but in the peacetime army. Stayed very active as a shooter, but it’s harder to do that outside of Chicago. Now that I’m easing into retirement, I shoot at least once a week. Primarily a pistol shooter, and 100-300 yd rifle shooter, mostly because the range I go to has a 300 yd range. Other ranges in the area are far less, one or two are 500 yd but are stupid expensive. There’s no really practical place to shoot out to 1000 yds except for one or two military posts that I can beg my way onto from time to time. Now that I have the time (and money, frankly), I’d like to develop my LD shooting, yet the constant battle I face with it is whether I want to dedicate the time and money to become really good at 1000 yd + shooting. Meh, like everything, it’s a battle between available time, available funds, and the mixture of other things that I like to do. One of my most favorite things, though, is hearing “ping” when shooting steel. So, yeah, that’s danbrew.

Reactions: DustBun
Howdy, danbrew here. Not quite “new” to the forum, but don’t believe I’ve posted until today. Joined back in 2011 or so, so I’d bet that I’m an ”old guy” (that’s for sure), yet now that I have something to say, thought I’d introduce myself. Southern boy that married a girl from Chicago - what they don’t tell you when that happens is that you’d better plan on moving to Chicago. So, yeah, about that. Spent 30 years in Chicago and raised two awesome kids. The kids went off to college and me & the better half looked at each other and were like, “what the hell?” So we literally dropped the 2nd kid at college and turned around and drove to SC where we’ve been for the last five years. Former 11B, ten years, but in the peacetime army. Stayed very active as a shooter, but it’s harder to do that outside of Chicago. Now that I’m easing into retirement, I shoot at least once a week. Primarily a pistol shooter, and 100-300 yd rifle shooter, mostly because the range I go to has a 300 yd range. Other ranges in the area are far less, one or two are 500 yd but are stupid expensive. There’s no really practical place to shoot out to 1000 yds except for one or two military posts that I can beg my way onto from time to time. Now that I have the time (and money, frankly), I’d like to develop my LD shooting, yet the constant battle I face with it is whether I want to dedicate the time and money to become really good at 1000 yd + shooting. Meh, like everything, it’s a battle between available time, available funds, and the mixture of other things that I like to do. One of my most favorite things, though, is hearing “ping” when shooting steel. So, yeah, that’s danbrew.
Not sure where in SC you are but The Clinton House in Clinton SC goes out to a mile. They have a Mile Day once a month. Get in touch with Mike Sexton. He’ll do you right. Coleman’s Creek is another mile range up in NC. Not too much of a drive. Good shooting.

Reactions: danbrew
Welcome from AL. Born in AL but I grew up right outside if Columbia then moved back to AL after college.

Not sure where in SC you are but The Clinton House in Clinton SC goes out to a mile. They have a Mile Day once a month. Get in touch with Mike Sexton. He’ll do you right. Coleman’s Creek is another mile range up in NC. Not too much of a drive. Good shooting.
Thx, I’m about as far south as you can get in SC down in the low country, pretty close to Savannah. Clinton is about a 4-hour drive for me… :( Fort Stewart has a 1000-yd range they occasional open up to mere mortals. I do kick myself for not doing 20 and being able to go over there all the time, but all in all, I’m happy with the trade-off. Lol.

Thx, I’m about as far south as you can get in SC down in the low country, pretty close to Savannah. Clinton is about a 4-hour drive for me… :( Fort Stewart has a 1000-yd range they occasional open up to mere mortals. I do kick myself for not doing 20 and being able to go over there all the time, but all in all, I’m happy with the trade-off. Lol.
Same for me. I’m in Murrells Inlet. I’m forever from anywhere. Takes me about 3:30. It’s worth the ride. Great property and people.

Looked down the list, saw you post, did a similar deal. My family was on orignal founding family of the Dutch Fork outside of Lexington. I am an old 82c5p. Surveyor/ Survey Chief Airborne. My family has 8 members whom applied for Rev war pensions, listed unit "Gen Marion's forces". We go back a ways in SC history.