• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes How's the tracking on the Bushnell ET 3-12x44?

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
Anyone here have experience with a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44, specifically with turret tracking?

I've used several ET scopes (6-24x50, DMR, XRS) and the tracking in all of these were accurate and repeatable.

Last week I watched a video series where the author claimed that his ET 3-12x44 did not track correctly so he replaced it with an NF NXS. Since the rest of the "facts" in the video series seemed accurate and reasonable, I can't dismiss the claim about the Bushnell as B.S.

I'm thinking about buying one of these for a .308 bolt gun, but questions about the tracking has me reconsidering.

Joe

Is the video viewable online anywhere? Did the video provide any evidence of this(grid board scope view)? And what was the point to the video, just to bag out Bushnell? Did the "author" comment on any attempts to have checked and repaired if indeed it was faulty? Who was the "author"?

They track fine at least mine have. Had a problem with one couldn't get the reticule to focus but Bushnell took care of it. They are a good mid-priced option if you can find a deal say 500-600 for one.

Is the video viewable online anywhere? Did the video provide any evidence of this(grid board scope view)? And what was the point to the video, just to bag out Bushnell? Did the "author" comment on any attempts to have checked and repaired if indeed it was faulty? Who was the "author"?

I just spent a few minutes searching youtube for it without success.
It was a 24 part series put together by a guy in Canada chronicling his journey to shoot f class.
Theory, ballistics, reloading, a little gunsmithing and bedding, etc.
There was a ton of first person footage, and I only disagreed with 2 things he said,
1. "blueprinting" an action is so named because the smith/machinist applies bluing to the action during one of the steps
and
2. some point about cartridge COL but I forget exactly what it was since it was 2 AM when I watched that segment

The author had no ax to grind or agenda, he just demonstrated with a box test that the Bushy ET was off by more than he was comfortable with, which is why he went with the NF. Maybe it was his shooting that day, but overall his shooting was pretty good in all of the video, so I couldn't just dismiss his results.

I'm going to sell off my March 3-24 to fund a project but I'll need a scope to fill the void, so I need something decent but not too pricey. The Bushy ETs come to mind since I've had good experiences with them, but that video stuck in my mind.

I'm looking for actual experience with the optic, not someone questioning the validity or motives of the guy who shot the video. I can judge that well enough without anybody's help.

Joe

Last edited:
I just spent a few minutes searching youtube for it without success.
I'm looking for actual experience with the optic, not someone questioning the validity or motives of the guy who shot the video. I can judge that well enough without anybody's help.

Joe

Somebodies got their knickers in a knot.

He was probably trying to justify the spend to his Mrs. lol.

Not arguing the point. Only asked as my latest purchase came down to that Bushy or the Weaver 3-15EMDR. The weaver won out on extra mag and the reticle. The G2 Bushy is at the top of my list for my next optic unless I can swing the extra for the 3.5-2 for a 308 600 yard hunter and tracking for that one will be important . I spent A LOT of time reading researching and watching anything I could on them both and never came across any mention of tracking issues with the Bushy. I've owned a few Bushys and never had an issue with tracking. Used a 3-12ffp once and seemed like a nice bit of glass for the money but only used the owners dope to hit steel to 500 and not evaluated them more than dialing back and forth and didn't have an issue with it and returned to zero.

Being as your line of questioning implies I'm incapable of differentiating between honest reporting and product bashing, it appears I'm not the one with knotted knickers.

As I stated in the OP, I've used a few Bushy ETs. They all tracked very well.

Nonetheless, I have no direct experience with the 3-12x44 (and clearly neither do you) so I asked for other's experience; I realize that the results I quoted earlier may have been erroneous, otherwise I would not still be considering the 3-12x44. I do not think the author's results were fabricated, and if you watched the video I bet you'd reach the same conclusion. Do you actually have anything relevant to contribute?

Joe

I used to own one and sold it to a friend who recently won our local night match in which we were shooting steel out to 800Y. It's been a good scope for him and I. I didn't like the tight eyebox on 12x.

I've had 4 of them; 2 of the original mil-dots and then replaced them with 2 G2DMRs which I still have. One is on a Force Productions billet receiver 10/22 build and one is on a .25 Edgun (precharged air rifle.) While they don't get a workout in the recoil department I like to shoot longer ranges with both of those rifles and because of the ballistics of each rifle the elevation knobs get a *lot* of use. On the .22 I machined a custom 55MOA base so the scope is only 2 mils up from the bottom with a 50Y zero and I've ran it up to maximum elevation many times. Both track very well and continue to track very well.

The eyebox does get a little tight at 11-12x and the reticle will "fade" if your eye isn't in the right position. Also, under about 5x the image gets a little bit of a "fisheye" quality to it. The 10Y parallax is really nice (other scope manufacturers take note!) I'd like to see Bushnell come out with an updated version that's say 3-15 or 4-20 with a little more forgiving eyebox on maximum magnification.

Last edited:
Being as your line of questioning implies I'm incapable of differentiating between honest reporting and product bashing, it appears I'm not the one with knotted knickers.

As I stated in the OP, I've used a few Bushy ETs. They all tracked very well.

Nonetheless, I have no direct experience with the 3-12x44 (and clearly neither do you) so I asked for other's experience; I realize that the results I quoted earlier may have been erroneous, otherwise I would not still be considering the 3-12x44. I do not think the author's results were fabricated, and if you watched the video I bet you'd reach the same conclusion. Do you actually have anything relevant to contribute?

Joe

Firstly all you said was you watched a video with no further information about it. Could be a "unboxing backyard test youtube series from "Pimpin Sam 1022". The internet is full of "videos" and people regurgitating what they read else where. As its a scope I have used (like I said previous exactly that my usage of this scope was dialing back and forth at a range) and as a result of that usage I am interested in purchasing for myself, all I did was request more information because I would like to watch it and asked questions that could of been covered if it was a more detailed video than Pimpin Sam would put up. Questions put forth as I have not seen it for you to hopefully answer if the video isn't available online to watch which was my initial question. You somehow managed to read something into it that wasn't there.

What was the exact issue with the tracking? Was it not tracking true vertically/horizontally and perpendicular to each other ? Was it 2% off 10mils consistently? Was it 9.6 one time then 10.3 the next?

Like yourself I'm here for information and provide what I can if I can. If you re read what I've written previous as pure text without whatever misconstrued context you've assumed it to be in you'd see that I have not run any line of questioning implying anything of the sort.

Having frequented this board for while now it is clear to me that every scope maker has a dud once in a while. In fact, there are regularly stories of the great warranty service people have received. I believe Bushnell has a lifetime warranty.

I have a Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 mil/mil FFP illuminated for sale right now. Unused. If anyone is concerned about that video and can find a new NF NXS for the same price I'm asking, even I might buy it. If not, there are many people using the Bushy with no problems with the tracking.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...l-ffp-3-12x44-mildot-et3124f-illuminated.html

Last edited: