• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HPBT tips deforming when reloading?

D.A.T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2006
Kansas
I was loading some 68 Gr Hornady HPBT and I had some bullet deformation when seating the bullets.

It deformed in a ring a little down from the tip.

Hodgon's list 26 Gr as a compressed load. I am having this problem at 25.5 gr. It left small ring marks but I could not feel depressions in when I loaded 25 Gr.

I am no where near the listed OAL of 2.235, I am loading to 2.265

Re: HPBT tips deforming when reloading?

Seating stem. I've had this problem with some Hornady .30 cal bullets and Hornady dies, they make a stem for those that corrects it.
What you can do is put your seating stem in a drill and coat a bullet in grinding compound and spin the stem on it to custom form the stem to the bullet.
When I had my issues I didn't see any definitive impact on accuracy, but I didn't like it, and they'd occassionally stick and pull back out while seating.

Hornady will send you a new seating stem if you call and ask. I had this problem with my 25 WSSM. They got mine out at No charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was loading some 68 Gr Hornady HPBT and I had some bullet deformation when seating the bullets.

Hodgon's list 26 Gr as a compressed load. I am having this problem at 25.5 gr. It left small ring marks but I could not feel depressions in when I loaded 25 Gr.

</div></div>

Make sure your neck tension is .002"-.003" anymore and you'll get the ring you're seeing.

I used Lapua virgin brass, maybe I should neck size them?

I am using Lee dies by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was loading some 68 Gr Hornady HPBT and I had some bullet deformation when seating the bullets.

</div></div>

Make sure your neck tension is .002"-.003" anymore and you'll get the ring you're seeing. </div></div>

Absolutely. This can be a big problem for those that use a Dillon RT1200 for .223 brass and overlook the part of the instructions that the cases still need to have the necks expanded. The trimmer/sizer ONLY sizes the necks down and due to varying neck wall thickness can yield some excessive neck tensions. Yes, a BT bullet can be inserted but with excessive neck tension, the bullet itself becomes the "expander" and even the right seater plug/stem can mark or deform a bullet.

Although neck tension may or may not be a problem, the "ring" mentioned doesn't make a rat's ass to anything........

"..the "ring" mentioned doesn't make a rat's ass to anything..."

Roger that. As mentioned, it's happens when the entry to the seating plug has a sharp edge. That can be rounded easily by chucking the seating plug in a drill and spinning it while holding a piece of medium grit sandpaper at the shoulder to the cavity to round it off a bit.

Compacting/compressing largish charges of slow powder requires more than usual seating effort and that's causing the 'cut' ring marks to appear on your bullets.

I have a personal distaste for compressed charges and will either go with less powder or switch to a slightly faster burning powder to prevent the need for compressing a charge.

I get that little ring on 204 ruger Vmax bullets, they still shoot minute of prairie dog at 600 yds, don't wory those little things, the ring doesn't even contact the rifling and is uniform so all the bullets will shoot the same no matter.