• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HR Monitors

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
What's a good HR monitor that gives an accurate calorie burn? I'm trying to track my calories as well as caloric burn during workouts and I don't think the one I have is very accurate.

Re: HR Monitors

Hey Brother,I've got a Timex Ironman. A bit pricey but it's accurate as hell. To burn serious fat and train for result you should raise your H/R to at least 85% of your target H/R and keep it there for more than 20 minutes.Most good cardio programs last 40-60 minutes. Getting an estimated VO2 and a MET calculation would also be a good thing because it's easy to track your progress. Being IAFF does your Dept. have Peer Trainers? They can run the tests to get you those numbers. There are formulas that can take other things into account i.e medications ect.,most serious guys are around 85%. To just get a baseline THR somewhere around 220 minus your age and then you would shoot for 85%of that. Your's may and probably will vary most people do. Mine by the book should be 167. 85% means I should workout at 142. My RHR is only 48 so mine never even approaches that. Guy's that workout know their body. Don't use any caffeine or and stimulants go run for 10 minutes and check your rate. That's the number your shooting for as long as it does not exceed 85% of that that base number. Seriously if your Dept. is in the IAFF WFI seek out a trainer and they can assist you.

I'm interested in your question. The only experience I've had with a calorie counting watch was terrible. It was over estimating by more than double.

I'm a daily calorie counter myself and would love to have an accurate measurement for those activities that are not easy to calculate.

JRose,

with all due respect, get into the 2010's plus:

You can only burn serious fat, as it were, if you can get the fat cells to release their stores. And if you insulin/glucagon response is f'd up, you can run at whatever % of whatever value you choose and you'll still look like all those "loads" on the freakin' treadmills, cycles, whatever, at the gym: they've been there every other day for two years and their bellies are still hanging over their belts.

Fat loss is about the nutritional composition at intake, the insulin/glucagon response thereto, and not about the utterly outmoded concept of "cardio." That is especially true if you are over 40, already fat, sucking up carbs, and engaging in worthless "exercise."

There's a ton of literature out there; e.g., Google "Tabata Protocol." Head over to www.archevore.com; read the latest two posts of the blog of Michael Eades at www.proteinpower.com; review the posts on www.bodybyscience.net. or, if you're into marathoning, look at this: www.furman.edu/first

the notion of "cardio" was crap in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and it's still crap today. Unfortunately, myths die hard.

We have no trainer in Dept, and I don't really know about any IAFF support in my area. I'll look into that.

My resting is 56, and the formula I used (weight, height, age) gave me 167 as well. I really, really hate running, but have just started running again for extra cardio/calorie burn (trying to tighten up the belly pooch). I'm using the LIVESTRONG calorie counter app and am trying to document fully all my input/output. The input is pretty easy because I know what the nutritional value is of food, but the output is tricky. I'm trying to get an accurate calorie burn count after runs/workouts.

My HR monitor is pretty accurate as far as HR goes, it matches the LifePak within a couple beats, I just don't have any idea how accurate/inaccurate the calorie burn function is.

For instantance. I'm 6'1" 183 pounds, 34 y/o and after a 2 mile 20 minute run with 5 minutes of walking for warm up, and 5 minutes walking for cool down, it says I burned 210 calories. Now half of that run was up a slight uphill grade.

Today I did a 20 minute run with no hills, and it says I burned 150. I have no idea if these are close to right or not.

Also, I did the 45 minute CardioX disc off P90x and it says I burned 110 calories for that whole work out.

Now with CardioX, I don't really get my HR up to the 160's until the last 15 minutes of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JRose,

You can only burn serious fat, as it were, if you can get the fat cells to release their stores. And if you insulin/glucagon response is f'd up, you can run at whatever % of whatever value you choose and you'll still look like all those "loads" on the freakin' treadmills, cycles, whatever, at the gym: they've been there every other day for two years and their bellies are still hanging over their belts.

Fat loss is about the nutritional composition at intake, the insulin/glucagon response thereto, and not about the utterly outmoded concept of "cardio." That is especially true if you are over 40, already fat, sucking up carbs, and engaging in worthless "exercise."

There's a ton of literature out there; e.g., Google "Tabata Protocol." Head over to www.archevore.com; read the latest two posts of the blog of Michael Eades at www.proteinpower.com; review the posts on www.bodybyscience.net. or, if you're into marathoning, look at this: www.furman.edu/first

the notion of "cardio" was crap in the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's and it's still crap today. Unfortunately, myths die hard.

</div></div>

I'll look into those links, thanks!

My nutrition is pretty good (I think). Today for example, I ate this (and this is pretty typical for my daily meals, as far as amounts):

Breakfast:
1 serving of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with skim milk. (in a hurry I might substitute 2 slices of wheat toast with strawberry conserve)

Morning snack:
15-20g protein bar

Lunch:
12oz grilled chicken
1 3/4 cup green beans
1 cup baked beans
1 small orange

Afternoon snack:
28 almonds
Or
3 celery stalks with Jif Natural PB

Dinner:
12 is grilled chicken
1 3/4 cups green beans

Post workouts usually see 3 scoops of Amplified GNC whey protein.

I generally don't get crazy on dietary intake and don't track what I'm burning. As long as you have no medical issues and keep your GBS around 90 or so stay off of empty calories you should be good. You don't have to run cycling and swimming even elliptical are better. I run because I like to. As far as good for ya,not so much. When it comes to good food it's damn near impossible to eat too many calories of a balanced diet. No cake to excess, keep the beer to a minimum. We're not Spartans. From the look of the above post your diet is in no way excessive. For a guy your size it's kinda light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: copdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JRose,

</div></div>

I'll look into those links, thanks!

My nutrition is pretty good (I think). Today for example, I ate this (and this is pretty typical for my daily meals, as far as amounts):

Breakfast:
1 serving of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest with skim milk. (in a hurry I might substitute 2 slices of wheat toast with strawberry conserve)

Morning snack:
15-20g protein bar

Lunch:
12oz grilled chicken
1 3/4 cup green beans
1 cup baked beans
1 small orange

Afternoon snack:
28 almonds
Or
3 celery stalks with Jif Natural PB

Dinner:
12 is grilled chicken
1 3/4 cups green beans

Post workouts usually see 3 scoops of Amplified GNC whey protein. </div></div>

I don't know what you currently weigh but that does not look like a lot of food man. Seriously read copdoc's links, he's spot on there. Tabata protocol intervals are a Mfer, just did some yesterday with the econo-prowler.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cardio</span> : best if done in the morning while the body is fasted , get up have a cup of black coffee sweetned with stevia and go wlak for an hr , brisk walk , get your heart rate in the 60%-65% range. If you do high intensisty cardio do somthing like sprints where it only elevated for a short time then back down and keep your high intensity cardio sessions to 20-30 min tops. Once you get into the 70% range your body will turn to breaking down muscle to supply the body with the needed glycogen.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Carbs</span> : carbs promote an insulin response , when carbs are presant insulin is presant , the body will not readly burn fat with insulin is presant , the more carbs the harder it is to lose fat unless your doing crazy amounts of physical labor or cardio

<span style="font-weight: bold">Diet</span> : find a macro nutrient balance that your body works with. Your current plan is very high in high glycemic carbs in the first meal,while that will kick off your metabolism it will cause an insulin spike that will likely give you some what of a lag feeling after. For breakfast your body is hungry give it somthing decient to eat
30-40g protein , 40-50g carbs (half from fruit) and 10-20g fats (egg yolks or almonds)The protein is needed cause the muscle are repairing , the fruit carbs will replenish the glycogen the liver is looking for and the complex/firerous carbs will fill the muscles glycogen needs , the fats will slow digestion some and help to blunt any insulin spikes
try to keep your snack strictly protein , like jerky or a lean hamburger patty. Your two big protein meals are very high in protein , i doubt your body can process that amount at one feeding so spread that out over your two snacks , say 4oz in a snack and 8oz in a meal.
try to get your carbs in the first half of the day , which you are but basicaly all with breakfast

Breakfast:
6 egg whites+3whole eggs , 1/2 cup oatmeal&fruit , 8oz milk

Morning snack:
4oz lean beef or chicken and a fruit (30g protein, 20-30g carbs)

Lunch:
8oz grilled chicken
1 3/4 cup green beans + 1 teaspoon EVOO

Afternoon snack:
4oz lean beef or chicken , 1 serving almonds

Dinner:
8oz is grilled chicken
1 3/4 cups green beans + 1 teaspoon EVOO

if you workout before noon have a protein shake with 40-50g Whey isolate protein and 4-5oz pineapple.
if you workout after noon have the same shake with either serving of almonds or a tablespoon of peanut butter

JJ,

So I do need to adjust my diet a touch? Tell me this. With my workouts, first thing in the morning only happens every third day at best, when I'm getting off work. The other two days it's a real crap shoot... It might be 08:30, 15:00, or even 20:00 hours that I get to workout. Is this F'n up my progress badly? It's unfortunate, but I just can't keep a steady workout schedule with my job.

Today for example, I was only able to do half of my P90x Chest, Shoulders, and Tricepts workout before I had to get in uniform. I can't finish the other half untill after 16:00 hours when we're allowed to workout (stupid policy I know, we can sit here and stare at the walls and eat but can't go down and workout...).

I'll also say that I'd like to find a happy medium to healthy living and getting ripped. I know I don't have it in me to live as strict as some do, but if I can make small adjustments here and there that will give me decent results, I'm game.

I dont think it matter as much as to what your training falls as much as to where your eating does.
As long as you cut out or way back on your carbs a while before you sleep then it should be fine. I know if i train after a heavy carb meal i get indigestion realy bad so if i have to train in the AM then i just skip breakfast and workout fasted then follow that with breakfast and if somthing happens where i can't make it before breakfast or in the evening i just skip that day , generaly skipping a day of working out will do you way more good than bad so dont sweat it.

Now when you say first thing in the am when your getting off , is that realy the morning for you , have you just got out of bed? just because its the AM hrs doent make it "your" morning.

IFBB pro body builder and personal trainer Phil Hernon has a plilosophy of not eating unless your hungry and it makes perfect sense , you don't piss or take a dump on a timer do you? listen to your body , if your hungry then eat if your not then don't , the calorie needs will be differant from day to not only depending on what your doing that day but what you did the day before , I know the day after a big leg workout i'm hungry all day. If i take saturday and sunday off and just laze around the house then Monday my calorie needs are WAY less than others.

I have a buddy thats a nurse and here is what we found works for him. On a 12hr shift pack three meals , he keeps a shaker cup and several sample packets of protein in his locker and some little 100 cal packs of almonds. He eats his breakfast and goes about his day if in a 2-4 hr hrs he is hungry he has a shake and almonds if not he waits to eat his second meal and the same goes for the third meal. now if its the day after some intense training and he is running his ass of at work he may have 3 shakes a day along with his 3 meals , others he may only eat the three meals.
the trick is to figure out when your hungry , im not talking about when you thing "hhmmm i could eat somthing" i'm talking about when your gut says "hey asshole im not happy!!"

for his meals he packs 2 that are
60g protein , 30g carbs and 15-20g fats , all from food , protein and fats come from meat and/or eggs , carbs come from either sweet potatos or brown rice or oats <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> fruit 1/2 and 1/2
the third meal is 60g protein and 30g fat , again from meat and or eggs , and a salad with EVOO dressing , NO carbs.

Well, early morning means that I'm out of bed at 06:30, go downstairs and have my workout done before 08:00. Then I'll eat breakfast. I used to do a strawberry and bananna smoothie with 12oz of skim. I kinda got away from that and started doing the wheat toast or Kashi in the AM because I thought I needed a little bit more carbs since now I'm in the last two weeks of P90x and I've started doing around 20-30 minutes of extra cardio (running).

I'm generally left confused of what's right and wrong with diet. I hear so many different ways.

As to eating when I'm hungry, I seem to be hungry all the time. Lol.

I'm usually hungry when I wake up, and sometimes I'm not so much hungry at my 09:00 snack, but when I skip it, I get pretty hungry before lunch. Same with my afternoon snack. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes not, but either way if I skip my snack I fear I'll hit starvation mode before my meal. I don't eat anything past 7 or 8 PM, usually not past 6:30 PM.

I've seen so much transformation in the past 3 months that I feel like I'm on the right path, I'm just really after that last lower belly fat that's keeping my 6 pack, a 4 pack. Lol