• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision Bedding Question

tunacan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Utah, SLC
I will be bedding my Rem 700 tomorrow. The stock that I have is an HS Precision/ Aluminum block.

My question is.........
Do I want the recoil lug flush againist the aluminum block? Do I want to remove some of the aluminum to let the bedding compound fill in the void to create a better fit?

Should I bed the tang?
Everyone and everywhere I look gives different advice. I would like to hear what you guys have to say.

With the action screws in, but not tight, the gun has some front to back movement.
What causes this is the screw channels are quite a bit bigger than the screws.
What keeps it from moving back any further is is the recoil lug hits the aluminum block

Re: HS Precision Bedding Question

Tape the front, bottom, sides and bottom of the recoil lug with two layers of masking tape. Trim with a razor blade, make it neat. Use two areas (Masking Tape wrapped around the barrel) on the barrel to hold the barreled receiver up and floating in the bedding. Adjust the number of tape wraps so you get an even and level reveal between the bottom of ejection port of the receiver and ejection port cut out of the stock. That’ll float your barrel and give you a stress free bedding job at the same time.