• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision bottom metal question

G and R

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Central, OH
I have HS-P bottom metal for a 700 BDL long action. If I were to purchase another floor plate/bottom metal assembly from Pacific Tool and Gauge, would it need to be fitted? My question is...Does HS-P's bottom metal match that of others? So long as it is the same (700 BDL LA)?

Re: HS Precision bottom metal question

I tried to fit a standard Rem. bottom metal to my 700 LA that had a HS Precision DBM and found that for whatever reason the receiver had been machined so that a standard Rem mag box would no longer work. Not sure if this is a requirement to make the HS work or what. So I'll be interested to hear what a gunsmith says too.

The HS Bottom betal is a drop-in replacement of the BDL floorplate.

Remington factory dbm models do not use the HS DBM system. The Remington factory dbms use a different receiver that, like vincoco noted, does not allow the use of a typical internal spring/follower system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HS Bottom betal is a drop-in replacement of the BDL floorplate.

Remington factory dbm models do not use the HS DBM system. The Remington factory dbms use a different receiver that, like vincoco noted, does not allow the use of a typical internal spring/follower system. </div></div>

I think I have the factory dbm receiver because the factory magazine box will not work. However, I was trying to replace the HS precision dbm that the rifle (custom) came with. It seems to work OK but I like the BDL syle floorplate better. Now it seems I stuck with the HS dbm.