• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HS Precision DBM Opinions

TonyC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
England
I am gathering the components for an upcoming 6.5mm build.

My intention was to use an AICS mag based DBM but I have just been offered a take off HS Precision DBM at a very attractive price.

I have heard that the mags can be difficult to come by, I recall a comment by Zak Smith that they are perhaps unreliable, but can find very little on here via search.

Any comments from users?

Cheers

Tony

Re: HS Precision DBM Opinions

I have one on a Remington 700 in .308 with the ten round magazine. No problems with functioning or quality. The only complaint is that the magazine release is inside the trigger guard and is not nearly as easy to engage as the magazine release on the AICS. I've only used the rifle at the range so I don't know how the magazines function when exposed to dirt,grit,sand,ect.

Mine has always functioned flawlessly. Holds the mag very tight. The release is a little cumbersome but not an issue once you are used to pushing that little sucker in and giving the mag a decent tug.

Tony,
I had one for a while but as the others mentioned, I didn't care for the mag release. My HS unit (STS) also had some lateral movement with a 10 round magazine, which gave it a rattle. I just ordered a Surgeon DBM this past monday, I can send you my thought on it after it arrives FWIW.

Shane

I had the HS system a few years back on my .260. It was horrible. I even had a brand new 10 round mag that cost $100 or more fail the very first time I ever used it. It would have to be a very, very attractive price.

I would recommend the badger or the surgeon over the HS.

I have the surgeon bottom metal in a PSS stock man it is the shit!!!! easy release, easy insertion, not too tight not too loose.
and the mag release is bad ass.

kt

new:

HS precison 280 plus 140 for a mag = 420

Badger 340 plus 80 for 1 mag = 420

when you start buying 2 mags or more the HS is no longer cheaper

Well Tony, I have a HS stock set up for the hs dbm coming to me that Fighthard offered up in the pay it forward thread here on the hide. It has no bottom metal or anything its just the stock so I am on the hunt for a HS DBM system to go in that stock as well.

Ive heard that some love it and some hate it so who knows. But if I could find a used kit for the right price off of someone who said they didnt like it Ill snatch it up and be set.

In the matches that I shoot around here we are often times moving from one position to another and our rifles must be clear when moving. And its easier to open the bolt and drop a mag then to drop the floor plate and worry about loose rounds falling out. Some of the complaints that I have read have said that is that the mag doesnt always seat when the bolt is closed. To me that is not a big deal, most of the times our bolts are open unless moving, but I figure that opening the bolt and inserting a mag will be quicker than single loading.

I have one on one of my REM700 and it works pretty good. I also picked up the set-up pretty cheap, but as was mention, as soon as you start buying mags you will be spending some money. I also have to say that the Badger is a good set-up.