• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision Recoil Pad

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
I have a M700 in an HS Precision stock. It has a glued on recoil pad that's very thin. I'd like to replace it, but wonder if anyone knows what those stocks look like under the pad? I don't want to cut it off just to find out it'll be a big job to replace.

The HS Precision stock that I fixed up last year was hollow in the middle. I'm pretty sure it came off a Model 700 Varmint, it had the thin recoil pad too. I installed a grind to fit recoil pad but cut some off the back to clean it up and not make the LOP too long.

JB-5.jpg

I installed some screw in threaded inserts for the new recoil pad screws but these were mainly to provide clamping force when I glued the new pad on. I used regular two-part clear epoxy to do that, nothing to complicated.

JB-10.jpg

JB - Completed.jpg

As @Trigger Monkey showed with that great post, it's not terrible. My police model 700 stock was the same. I actually trimmed mine like a .5 inch and then put a recoil pad from a sps stock on there.

Reactions: jlorensen
The HS Precision stock that I fixed up last year was hollow in the middle. I'm pretty sure it came off a Model 700 Varmint, it had the thin recoil pad too. I installed a grind to fit recoil pad but cut some off the back to clean it up and not make the LOP too long.

View attachment 7780732

I installed some screw in threaded inserts for the new recoil pad screws but these were mainly to provide clamping force when I glued the new pad on. I used regular two-part clear epoxy to do that, nothing to complicated.

View attachment 7780738

View attachment 7780739
Is that Magpul bottom metal? I have one and any pointers would be appreciated.