• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing hs Precision stock on fatory Rem LTR .308

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
What size barrel channel do they have and can they be opened up if needed? I know they have some type of aluminum block that runs up the forearm. I'm going to rebarrel and wondering if a M24 contour will fit and free float.

An M24 contour won't fit without a good deal of cutting/sanding. The aluminum chassis runs up to the sling swivel on most, but is well below the fiberglass filler in the channel area so it's all composite you'll be removing. If you get an oversized lug, you'll have to do some aluminum cutting though. I'll try and post some pics later.

I tried to snap a few in my crowded gun closet and my camera was auto-focusing on everything but my rifle. If you need any specific info, let me know. I can pull the action out of the stock and make some measurements.

Pics:

IMG_20140212_212036.jpg

IMG_20140212_212120.jpg

IMG_20140212_212053.jpg

IMG_20140212_212016.jpg

Some more picture from another thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ve-pics-ptg-bottom-metal-instal-hs-stock.html

Thanks Gene,

This answers the question I had. I got a stock Rem. LTR with the Hs stock. I have a 10 twist obermeyer 5r with a M24 contour and I was just trying to figure if I needed a new stock before sending it to the smith. If it will fit I'll use the stock for now. I'm trying to get three 1K yard rifles so I can shoot all three class at HardRock. I'm running a stock LTR and not getting the groups at 900 and 1k. I'm told with my 178amax load running 2490FPS I'm just not getting out there before transsonic zone start to take affect. This past weekend I shot 1moa at 600 and 800 then went to pot at 900 and 1k. This seems to happen at most matches so I'm hoping a longer tube will get my velocity up to 2700 or so. I'm also have a .243 built as we speak, on a M70 action with a 28" bartlien 8 twist chambered for the heavies. So I'm hoping to have a 308 for 308 class and the .243 for anything goes. Then build my first full custom in .223 for the 223 class.

Ken

Like I said: it needs a lot of material removed to fit and float properly. I used a dowel with sandpaper and it took forever. Now that I have a mill, my next one will probably be done with a 3/4 ball nose end mill and just do the finish work with the sandpaper dowel.

FWIW, my experience with 178 a-maxes is that they handle the sonic transition pretty well. With their secant ogive, though, they don't jump well in a long throat like you'd have in a factory barrel. I switched to 175 SMKs because they don't get unstable with a lot of jump. Of course, all my shooting is only at 600 at the ranges in my area so I don't have to worry about the sonic transition anyway. I'd still discuss various chambers with your smith before he cuts your blank.

Sounds like good advise on the bullets. I running the 178's at mag length, they shoot very well from 100 out to 800. My load is Hornady match brass/Br2 primmer/44.8 Rl-15. When I worked this load up I was looking for a target/hunting round. It will shoot 3/4 moa at 100. I may have to try some 175SMK's out and see what they do. I'm one of the types that find something that works and sticking with it. But I'm beginning to see I need something else for the 900 and 1k targets. The range owner thinks I'm running to slow caused by the 20" barrel.