• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HS Precision Stock Question

Wiskey_33

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just got an HS precision take of stock from another member in place of my Hogue stock.

Anyhow, not a fan of the thin rubber buttpad, and am wondering how to get it off to replace it. Just tear it off? Are they just glued on?

I guess I could buy a Limbsaver slip on if it would be too much a pain.

Thanks.

Re: HS Precision Stock Question

I dont know about the buttpad, but keep i9n mind that you may need to relieve some of the stock for the trigger and safety to work.

I got a take off stock in the pay it forward thread and I had to open the trigger area up for my trigger and safety to work properly when torqued down.

Look at them both side by side from the top down and you will see where it may need to be relieved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know about the buttpad, but keep i9n mind that you may need to relieve some of the stock for the trigger and safety to work.

I got a take off stock in the pay it forward thread and I had to open the trigger area up for my trigger and safety to work properly when torqued down.

Look at them both side by side from the top down and you will see where it may need to be relieved. </div></div>

It's all good. Put it together last night and it fit just fine.

Which H-S Precision Stock do you have? Is it one with an adjusable but pad (like the PST-025) or is that stock fixed? If it is a take-off stock from a remington rifle (ie. fixed) then the buttpads on those stocks are glued in so you would need to use a knife to either pry it off or cut it off. There should be a thread talking about this same subject that was posted a few weeks ago.

Oh by the way if you have the adjustable ones like the one I have (PST-025) then those are held in with 2 screws.

I took the buttpad off of one with a sharp knife and firm consistant downward pressure. From the top of the comb down. The inside needed to be slightly relieved for the R3 recoil pad I put on it. (simms R3 recoil pad with limbsaver gell material). I attached the pad with two screws. This worked perfectly and I never had another problem with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wiskey_33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it off.

Thanks.

Now...what recoil pad to use? </div></div>

I took the recoil pad with me to the gun shop and opened every Limbsaver package they had until I found one that matched. I think it was a Citori shotgun.

What was referred to about ensuring it will fit, HS stock when I ordered mine came defaulted to old school 700 trigger and I had XMark and the XMark has an extra wide axle and while it will fit, it binds at times. A Dremel fixed it.