• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HS Precision stock that comes with the Savage FCP

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
Guys, I am anxiously awaiting my Savage 10FCP with HS Precision stock. I did a ton of research comparing the HS Precision stock vs the McMillan that Savage offers. I ended up getting the HS because of two factors. Firstly, after reading a lot of reviews, it appears that for a casual LR shooter who wants to be ready out of the box, the HS is a better option. If you are going to have work done to the stock, then the McM may be the best option. I fall in the former category. Also, the HS saved me around a hundred dollars I can apply toward scope/LRF. My question is about the HS stock. I didnt do a lot of research on the stock itself. Exactly what model from HS is it? Is it considered a good one?

Re: HS Precision stock that comes with the Savage FCP

Its basically the same as a PST 25. Yes they are good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its basically the same as a PST 25. Yes they are good.</div></div>
I dont see that that stocck fits a Savage on HS' website.

HS may not have it on their website. The stock is the same as the PST25. I have one and it is nice.

hydro, I had added a Karsten cheekpiece to mine, it was high for me. More than likey, you will need a little something for a better cheekweld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great thanks. Is the cheek weld sufficiently high that none needs to be added? </div></div>

Not on my Remmy 700 with Seekins 20moa rail and low rings. I added an Eagle stock pack, affords a stickier weld and just about the right height.

This is the stock I used on a Savage that got me wanting one for my Remmy, I like it a lot, the vert grip with swell is superb and like someone told me, great for prone or really getting flat and low on a bench, but I would like a butt hook and for the stock to be more durable, its taking a beating already. And like you, I wanted a totaly drop in, it was not, HS does not make it for the Xmark trigger so I had to Dremel a groove for the trigger and some for the bolt stop lever. The price and time to ship was another factor for me. I am just a gumby trying to shoot and it works. After 25 yard zero on a cold barrel, I got my first sub 1".

Good luck

Thanks for the great info, guys. Anybody care to share some pics of their Savage 10FCP's with HS stock? Or any rifles with the HS that will be on my Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the great info, guys. Anybody care to share some pics of their Savage 10FCP's with HS stock? Or any rifles with the HS that will be on my Savage. </div></div>

Here's a few pics of my Savage 10FCP. I have since added a few goodies to it (US Optics anti-cant, Eagle cheek pad, Pod-Loc)

Shoots pretty good for a stock rifle.

2w4z59h.jpg

160bw9f.jpg

hydro556,

I'm also thinking about getting a 10FCP sometime within the next few months, So I'm glad you started this thread.

308Thunder,

Where did you get your bolt knob at? Its quite nice.

Johnson_2010,

The bolt knob is from www.badgerordnance.com

I had my local rifle-smith do the installation along with cleaning up the bolt lugs and action a bit to make it smoother. The Badger bolt knob makes follow up shots much easier by using the back of your thumb to rack the bolt you are able to keep your head down and focus on your follow up shot quicker.

The action on my Savage was good but still needed a little fine tuning (have your local smith do this for you when they install the bolt knob).

I will say this...the metal Savage uses on the factory bolt handles is VERY hard not as easy to install the bolt knobs on as Remington.

You won't be disappointed if you choose to get a Savage, I can get nice dime size 3-4 shot groups out of mine if I do my part.

I am looking to have my smith build a custom for me soon using the new target action Savage is offering. I'm not sure if I will stick with .308 or go with 6.5X284. I don't hand load so it will probably be .308 (I’m saving now for the USO scope I want to put on it first before I even have him start on the gun)

Most of all have fun shooting whatever it is you decide on.

Take care

I just got mine, and the barrell is full of tooling marks across the rifling.
frown.gif
Were yours nice&shiny?

I wish LL would limit the size of pictures. These panoramic shots make it impossible to scroll and read all the text without scrolling across too.

Grrrrrrrr……

if you want one from HS Precision u have to call them. make sure you know your action screw spacing, if u waffle on that, even a little, they wont sell to end users.(ask me how i know) when i ordered mine they had a few tactical and varmint styles in stock and ready to ship for the 4.25 actions. $350, had it in less than a week

lear

i have one, and i like it. and as far as the rifling problem with the tool marks, i had none. mine was almost perfect.

Well, I returned it and got another one, this one shoots ok. I believe I read someone bedded their HS Savage, that seems intresting, with the aluminum in the stock and all.. The aluminum part doesn't touch the receiver evenly, as you can see from the scratching in the receiver. I'm intrested in that, if that enhances accuracy.
smile.gif
Does anyone remember posts about this?

Has anyone seen that rifle with the green stock? I bought one and have not seen another?