• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HSGI UDHP vs Eagle 6004 holster platform.

pyrotechnic

Private
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2003
Montana
I just purchased a Safariland 6280 for a G17 w/x200 and am looking for a good way to mount it on a thigh rig so it will clear the waist support on my ruck while backpacking.

The USGI (skd) model looks promising ( http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_UDHP_Holster_SKD_p/hsg.311.htm ), but is pricey.

The eagle is attractive due to cost ( http://www.triadtactical.com/Eagle-Industries-6004-holster-platform.html ) but it doesn't appear that it is adjustable for height.

I'm also considering the 6004-10 single strap leg shroud or maybe looking around a finding a 6004 platform for cheap and modding it myself to ride high with a single strap.

I like the idea of the nylon platform and the HSGI rig looks like it would be most comfortable and secure. Since it also surrounds the holster with a cover it appears like it would be more stable than the Eagle rig which would only support the holster through the three screws through the nylon. Is this the case?

Thanks guys,

Maarten

Re: HSGI UDHP vs Eagle 6004 holster platform.

The Eagle is adjustable for height Im pretty sure. That velcro belt strap can be secured at any length you want.

I modded mine to ride high with a single strap. I can't remember where I saw a thread to do it (Lightfighter or 10-8 maybe), but it was easy to do and works fine.

Depending upon your belt, another option may be the simple <span style="text-decoration: line-through">UDHP</span> UBL (Universal Drop Loop) drop loop from Safariland to use your 6280 without having to use a thigh rig.

My first choice would be the Safariland Drop Shank.

If that won't get you low enough, then the shroud would be an option. I run mine with a single strap with no modding. It doesn't seem to cause me any problems, but I am going to be switching back to the drop shank as soon as I reconfigure my other belt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyrotechnic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a Safariland 6280 for a G17 w/x200 and am looking for a good way to mount it on a thigh rig so it will clear the waist support on my ruck while backpacking.

The USGI (skd) model looks promising ( http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_UDHP_Holster_SKD_p/hsg.311.htm ), but is pricey.

The eagle is attractive due to cost ( http://www.triadtactical.com/Eagle-Industries-6004-holster-platform.html ) but it doesn't appear that it is adjustable for height.

I'm also considering the 6004-10 single strap leg shroud or maybe looking around a finding a 6004 platform for cheap and modding it myself to ride high with a single strap.

I like the idea of the nylon platform and the HSGI rig looks like it would be most comfortable and secure. Since it also surrounds the holster with a cover it appears like it would be more stable than the Eagle rig which would only support the holster through the three screws through the nylon. Is this the case?

Thanks guys,

Maarten </div></div>

The Eagle platform that you link has an adjustable belt hanger:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Eagle-Industries-6004-holster-platform.html

If you want, you can shorten the hanger until the bottom of the belt is touching the top of the nylon panel. If you want it that short, the "tail" of the hanger strap will be sticking out from under the bottom edge of the panel. I trimmed mine off and melted the end again.

Im currently using a 6004 on a duty belt using one leg strap. Riding it high enough to clear my armor. Then I use two keepers on each side to keep it from shifting.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Triad,
Thank you for info on the eagle rig, I'll probably be ordering it from you soon.

LW,
Do you tie down the bottom of the holster when utilizing the drop shank or is it solid enough to keep from flexing on the draw? This is my first Safariland and I read on some other forums about guys still strapping their holster to their thighs when using the drop shank. I'm not stoked about a thigh rig, but figured if I might end up tying the holster to my leg anyways I should look at the thigh rigs designed to ride high.

Thanks again,

Maarten

I have the SKD UDHP and like it very well. My only complaint is that my 6004 holster w/light seems to make the gun ride a little different. I think with a non-light holster, the UDHP would be the way to go. If using a holster for gun with light, get the single strap, low profile from safariland.