• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HSM 7.62x51(.308) 178gr. Hornady A-Max, New Range???

hornet shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Canyon lake Tx
I found a good deal on this ammunition but I have never shot anything HSM. I usually stick to SW Ammo 178s but they won't let me buy any right now. Is it worth snapping up the 40 boxes? This will be used for long range steel and hunting.

While I have not shot that particular load from hunting shack, all other loads that I have, shot very well. If I need ammo, I know what I would do. If you do, let us know.

My experience with HSM shows very comparable grouping to Federal Gold Medal in the lighter AMAX bullet loading.

I've got amazing accuracy with the 168gr Amax for 308 from them. In two of my 308 rifles it shoots better than Gold Medal so I stick with it.

The HSM 168 (i know your looking for 178gr) A Max was our issued (from prior admin) duty ammo. It shot good out of my rifle at 100yds, seemed to open up a bit at 300. We are now out if that load, and will be testing Black Hills here soon. Certainly worth a chance/try on HSM.

HSM is GTG. Good folks...loaded here in Montana. Most likely loaded on a Dillon 1050 , new components , with an Operator checking quality control through out the process.

I've watched their folks load ammo a few times when I visited the factory to pick up Range ammo. Appears to be a Quality Operation.