• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report HSM Ammo will not group.

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
I have the tools to reload. But I bought a bunch of HSM 260 ammo loaded with 142 smk to shoot so I have fire formed brass to use when I start loading. My first range trip the ammo WOULD NOT group. And just this weekend my first 5 shots grouped at 1moa (which I feel was acceptable for the price I paid for the ammo). After that it would open to 2-3 moa. I know for a fact the rifle shoots. My gunsmith provided a test target with a 1 hole group shooting the corbon match ammo. I was wondering if anybody else has ever had issues with HSM ammo. Any thoughts?

Try another brand. Factory ammo is just one load. It doesnt mean that HSM sucks, it just mean that that particular load might suck. Also, there are dozens of other variables as to why your groups opened up. Your load selection is just one of them. You'll have to rule out all others first before saying that HSM ammo is the culprit. Its like going out to start your brand new car that youve never driven, it doesnt start, and then blaming it on the brand of premium gasoline you bought onyour way home.

I always have a hard time with 142s, with factory ammo I always have to go 139 or lighter in order to get good groups.

For whatever reason I can't get any 142s to group well, doesn't matter the brand. 139s from the same guys shoot lights out though.

I always have a hard time with 142s, with factory ammo I always have to go 139 or lighter in order to get good groups.

For whatever reason I can't get any 142s to group well, doesn't matter the brand. 139s from the same guys shoot lights out though.

My buddy and I have seen similar results. The 142's shoot great when your shooting distance, but if your expecting pretty little groups at 100y then 139s are your best bet.

That's kinda what I was thinking. That ammo, and my rifle, just aren't friends. I know that every trigger press, I had enough confidence that I wasn't yanking shots that much at 100 yds. And as I said, my gunsmith who built the rifle for me, was getting .25 moa with two test groups of 5 rounds with corbon match ammo. I was just curious if the same issue occurred with anybody with the HSM. Ammo. At least I'll get the barrel broken in with this ammo, and still have fun shooting it. And I also was planning on starting load development with the 139 scenars. It's a 1/8 twist barrel. Caliber is 260. (I guess you guys would have liked that info from the get go)

I've shit two groups out if my 260 with hsm 142 SMKs they worked good enough.

Mel over at sniper central who I talked to a bit before I bought a couple boxes of hsm from him, said that he prefers the 139 Lapua Scenar (spelling?) load noting a little better accuracy.

IMG_20130921_123536_338_zpsfeb2ab4f.jpg

I believe that was a 5 shot group at 96 yards or so.

Last edited:
My only experience with HSM ammo was disappointing.
We were shooting the 95 VLD in 243.
Our bracketed load development groups were all smaller than the HSM.
It was also a much lower velocity based on our POI.
Accuracy was inconsistent and over 1.5 MOA.
We didn't bother shooting the rest of the ammo because the bullets were worth pulling and reloading.

One could credit the poor accuracy to the seating depth of the VLD but in your case I doubt that matters as I have found Sierras to be very tolerant of jump.
I'd pull the bullets and replace the powder.