• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HUB to both Tilt Bbl Pistol and Rifle Interface?

mebgardner

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2024
Arizona
Suppressor is both Intermediate (300 Supers, 5.56, 308) and Handgun (9mm) rated. It also has a HUB interface.

Does there exist a HUB adapter that will adapt to 9mm tilting barrel handgun (piston, I dont think there is another system that works in this app), and also adapt to non-tilting barrel interfaces that are larger than 3-lug? (that is, larger than PCC subs thereabouts).

Why would someone ask for such a thing, right? Say someone has a "Go" bag with a collapsible, or folding, or takedown short barrel AR pistol in Intermediate caliber and also keeps a semi-auto handgun in the same bag. Switching from AR to handgun could require a move of the mounted suppressor. Sure, you could put two cans in the bag, but the takedown does not fit if one is attached. Or...

One can and two applications.

We dont have to thread lock the HUB interface to the can, but most manufacturers recommend to do that. So lets do that, the HUB adapter is thread locked to the can and is not field changeable.

Is there a HUB adapter that will accept a Piston and Spring adapter for tilt barrel semi-auto 9mm, and also accept a non-piston adapter / barrel mount for 30 cal? A Bonus would be to provide for some sort of QD interface, like a taper or interrupted thread.

There are mounting systems, like Griffin, that will work if I'm willing to not lock the HUB interface. The HUB to suppressor adapter can be changed to adapt to either piston or non-piston apps. It's time consuming to do that, and leaving the HUB unlocked is not a great solution.

The short answer is no. In fact, the long answer is no…

The short answer is no. In fact, the long answer is no…

That's what I thought. How about from a different angle?

Do you think it's possible for me to just leave the Piston and Spring interface in place on the can, and use that for a fixed barrel application with the appropriate muzzle device?

One tradeoff is price, of course. The interface for the tilt barrel app is more expensive.

If it's possible, please talk about any other tradeoffs that occur to you. Thanks.

A quick internet search suggests that using a Nielsen device equipped can on a fixed barrel firearm risks baffle strikes. IDK for sure though. The only sure option is to replace the booster assembly with an appropriate mount for the rifle, or replace the spring of the Nielsen Device with a fixed barrel spacer. Both require removing device to make changes…

Reactions: mebgardner
A quick internet search suggests that using a Nielsen device equipped can on a fixed barrel firearm risks baffle strikes. IDK for sure though. The only sure option is to replace the booster assembly with an appropriate mount for the rifle, or replace the spring of the Nielsen Device with a fixed barrel spacer. Both require removing device to make changes…

An area for innovation then. Maybe a slip ring to lock the piston, a keeper system. I mean, I would buy it. No one is building it, so there is no question of patent infringement.

The tradeoff would be that the part would be even more expensive, and not as KISS as separate systems.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
The Suppressor Stages of Ownership (SSO) are:
  1. Intense research. Typically dB is the laser focus.
  2. Trying to figure out how to have one suppressor work for everything
  3. Ignoring everyone that says that’s near impossible, and then they have the balls to follow that up with, “You’ll just wind up buying a bunch of suppressors.“
  4. Which you also ignore
  5. Relief at a decision
  6. Giddiness when ordering
  7. Depression, increasing as the wait grows longer
  8. Restrained frustration when calling the ATF for status
  9. (wait intensifies)
  10. Red-faced anger
  11. Resignation
  12. Surprise
  13. Delight!
  14. Baffle strike
  15. Sadness
  16. Happiness when it comes back fixed
  17. Contrition when one realizes that it really does suck to have just one suppressor for everything
  18. Discovery that other technical suppressor factors are far more important than dB
  19. Intense research for next suppressor

Last edited:
The part I left out is:

Mental exhaustion, while trying to figure out the ideal mounting solution​

This is sort of a constant. It doesn’t really fit in any one place.

Zen state is realizing that direct thread is next to godliness. Life is blissfully simple in DT state. I’ve been there, but I want to taste the forbidden fruit of secondary retention.

I know in my heart this will end in sadness, but as I am human, I cannot escape the Suppressor Stages of Ownership, even as I write them down for you, gentle reader.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I forgot another sort of constant in the SSO. You often think you have this one figured out, but you never really do:

Nagging confusion over the law, like individual filing versus trust, settlors, trustees, executors, one shot trusts, driving over state lines, moving, wills…the list goes on and on…​

Last edited:
Reactions: AMGtuned
That's what I thought. How about from a different angle?

Do you think it's possible for me to just leave the Piston and Spring interface in place on the can, and use that for a fixed barrel application with the appropriate muzzle device?

One tradeoff is price, of course. The interface for the tilt barrel app is more expensive.

If it's possible, please talk about any other tradeoffs that occur to you. Thanks.
You need a lockout spacer. You'll never buy one in the F4 world, because "you can't add material".

But the solution that's out there, is a spacer that replaces the booster. In the F1 world, we have "ASR tubes", where the first 1", 1.5", or 2", is a built in spacer of sorts. Just unthread the booster, and replace with a DT mount. The shelf keeps the guts in the tube. I'm unaware of F4 manufacturers that make tubes this way.

Putting a booster equipped can on a fixed barrel weapon, is begging to hurt someone or something.

You need a lockout spacer. You'll never buy one in the F4 world, because "you can't add material".

But the solution that's out there, is a spacer that replaces the booster. In the F1 world, we have "ASR tubes", where the first 1", 1.5", or 2", is a built in spacer of sorts. Just unthread the booster, and replace with a DT mount. The shelf keeps the guts in the tube. I'm unaware of F4 manufacturers that make tubes this way.

Putting a booster equipped can on a fixed barrel weapon, is begging to hurt someone or something.

Thank you! Thats a clear path forward for me. Really, thank you for the advice that keeps me from inadvertently hurting someone, never a good look.

I have not dipped into the F1 world, my skills dont include machinist. I'm still somewhere between stage 2 thru 4 for this go-round of the wheel.

I started thinking of the mechanism that could possibly be built into the booster part, but quickly realised I'm way over my head. An annular lock ring, with an increasing width cam on two internal sides that force the piston to no longer be moveable. But, the law, and the human interface, and addition of more moveable parts, and the temperatures / pressures. Way over my head.

More Cans is the eventual solution, as I Turn the Wheel (or, the Wheel Turns Me).

Can you define this “lockout spacer” a bit more? Mounts and adapters (including Nielsen devices) are not restricted and you can buy them and change them around at will. A fixed barrel adapter replaces the spring in the booster and makes the suppressor able to be fired on a fixed barrel gun. I pulled this off the web as an example of a commercial option.

IMG_5909.jpg

The downside is that it doesn’t make use across multiple platforms easier than changing out the HUB adapter, as you must remove the booster to replace the spring. In the OP’s use case, he might as well just replace the booster with a more appropriate adapter.

For my part, I do not thread lock adapters to cans. I apply a light coat of lube so that they, eventually, can be “easily” disassembled. I’ve never had a can try to disassemble itself while in use doing this.

Can you define this “lockout spacer” a bit more? Mounts and adapters (including Nielsen devices) are not restricted and you can buy them and change them around at will. A fixed barrel adapter replaces the spring in the booster and makes the suppressor able to be fired on a fixed barrel gun. I pulled this off the web as an example of a commercial option.

View attachment 8369380
The downside is that it doesn’t make use across multiple platforms easier than changing out the HUB adapter, as you must remove the booster to replace the spring. In the OP’s use case, he might as well just replace the booster with a more appropriate adapter.

For my part, I do not thread lock adapters to cans. I apply a light coat of lube so that they, eventually, can be “easily” disassembled. I’ve never had a can try to disassemble itself while in use doing this.
Obligatory IANAL: it would appear to me that replacing the booster spring would be ok.

Taking out the booster/LID/Neilson, and replacing it with a standard blast chamber spacer, and regular DT type end cap, would more than likely be a no-go; due to having the blast chamber spacer loose/extra when the booster is in use.

Easy button appears to be the product you linked

View attachment 8369380

There are also the multiple manufacturers that will not sell caliber specific end caps separately anymore; due to the convoluted nature of the ruling/interpretation. Take that for what you will, but this is not much different than having the parts for the proximal end instead

View attachment 8369380

Would you say it never became unlocked (without thread locker, so I mean ("untight")? Loose? Disassemble could mean a few things to me, so that why I'm asking.

How do you usually tighten that interface? That is, if it remains tight, how did you originally tighten it?

I'm considering it, going without thread locker on the HUB interface, so these details are important to me. It's a "Go bag" system, so I'm probably F'ed already if I'm struggling with switching suppressor between multiple small arms.

This is not working out as I hoped. I can see I should consider other options. Handgun likely first out of yhe bag, so QD mount on it.

Last edited:
Would you say it never became unlocked (without thread locker, so I mean ("untight")? Loose? Disassemble could mean a few things to me, so that why I'm asking.

How do you usually tighten that interface? That is, if it remains tight, how did you originally tighten it?

I'm considering it, going without thread locker on the HUB interface, so these details are important to me. It's a "Go bag" system, so I'm probably F'ed already if I'm struggling with switching suppressor between multiple small arms.

This is not working out as I hoped. I can see I should consider other options. Handgun likely first out of yhe bag, so QD mount on it.
Yeah, I’ve never had a can loosen from the mount. If anything, they get more difficult to remove. But, as to tightening, the can(s) are cut for a spanner wrench and the mounts either have wrench flats or are also cut for a soanner wrench. Grip the wrenches like they’re nutcracker handles and squeeze until they stop moving.

This forum is going to be hard on my wallet, I can see that clearly now.

Last edited: