• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Huge Jewfish and then some

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
We decided to get a group together and hit Florida before the oil arrived. We had 3 couples and one or two cold beverages to aide our fishing prowess as we braved the heat. Tom had never been saltwater fishing so we decided we should start him out with a few smaller fish first
wink.gif

Tom's 10ft lemon shark that required one or two hot laps around them boat before we got him in. Tom and I actually had to drag Billy back into the boat. Billy is 130 soaking wet and pretty much bounced off the outboard when he set the hook. Tom grabbed his right leg and I grabbed the rod.
FloridaFishing048_edited-1copy.jpg

FloridaFishing059_edited-1copy.jpg

Tom wasn't satisfied with the small shark so we hooked him up with a TX sized Jewfish. We estimated it to be 500-600 lbs based off of the dimensions. It actually took Tom, Billy and I on the rod at once to get this guy to the surface. The girls were there with beverage support.............
FloridaFishing072_edited-1copy.jpg

FloridaFishing078_edited-1copy.jpg

We hit the beach one afternoon for some snook..........and of course beverages.
FloridaFishing340_edited-1copy.jpg

We headed way off shore one day and absolutely murdered some cobia, Bonita, amberjack, and snapper. We actually had to quite because the fish box wouldn't have even held a 1oz sinker at that point.

IMG_6091copy.jpg

IMG_6081copy.jpg

All in all it was a good day.........
IMG_6132copy.jpg

We have some more photos coming. I'll post them as soon as I get them from Lesley and Mark.

Re: Huge Jewfish and then some

Man, that looks like an amazing time. The two opportunities I've had to go saltwater fishing in the Gulf have been memorable and fun. Awesome.

Hope there is room in the freezer for the fish. Or maybe a big cook out is in store.

Great catch!

Geez incredible pics and some killer fish I am jealous!! I think the biggest fish I ever caught may have been 2 lbs and 10 inches or less.

Looks like you had fun.

that is one good sized hebrew, that big boy would have filets the size of the beef that brock cooks up in wv.

too bad they wont open up a lottery or season for them

those are some good eating sized snaps too

Oh, I've got pictures of Jered trying to bone the whale shark. Actually, he attacked TWO different whale sharks! I'll dig through some pictures shortly.

Our fearless leader also talked us into letting him tow a couple kayaks with a jet ski into the middle of Sarasota Bay to fish.

sarFish_25_L.jpg

"Broken Arrow! I say again - Broken Arrow!"

Um, I mean, "Broken Fishing Rod!!"

I forgot I took this picture. Jered was showing off some ultra cool fishing rod he brought with him and he BROKE it! LOL. Even Jered had to laugh at that one. I think he blamed me though since I brought a banana on the boat after being warned it was bad luck.

brokenRod_L.jpg

Okay, the pics suck but the action was happening so fast and the boat was moving a lot so I just couldn't get better pics.

This is the SECOND whale shark Jered sexually assaulted on the trip. This is him swimming out to the poor creature...

whaleshark01.jpg

And this is Jered riding the whale shark like a cowboy rides a bull. He was on that shark for a LONG time too before the shark finally got pissed and threw him off.

whaleshark02.jpg

I think Leslie has better pics of the whale shart up close.

I don't feel that I was sexually assaulting the whale shark. I was actually going for a noodling record. I just couldn't swim fast enough to get to the mouth.

I also found out that they don't like it when you hold their tail. You can see the zig zag trail of where my feet went in the water when it took off. Lesley wanted to touch the tail and I thought that I could pull her up to the tail but when I grabbed on all 20 tons decided it had a different idea about how things should go.
IMG_6126copy.jpg

I think the fact that there was a large shark in the water the first time that we were at the whale sharks was enough to keep Tom in the boat managing the beverage stash.
IMG_6097copy.jpg

Dude, that takes ballz!
Looks like a great time had by all...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: knockemdown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, that takes ballz!
Looks like a great time had by all...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ballz or lots of cold beverages. We are internally having the debate as we speak.

BALLZ, regardless Jered!
I know 'cause mine hit my throat the 1st time I jumped in out in the deep, albeit under different circumstances (stray rope spun up in the wheel & needed cut out). After that 1st time, it ain't so bad going in now...
wink.gif

That friggin' Jewfish was a goliath!

i should have flown on down to florida and fished with you before i picked up the rifle! don't think you'd have gotten tori in the water with the sharks though!