• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Huge list of FFP scope and their reticles

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
Hey, second post here! Hello from the midwest! I was a (very) casual hunter, pheasant, mostly. But I went on my first prairie dog shoot and am hooked!

I just wanted to pass along a massive list of FFP scopes + reticles I found while researching scopes for prairie dog shooting. Using it, I found a scope, a Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56mm with the CCH reticle. Had a chance to look through one at Cabela's (TMR reticle), and was impressed by the eyebox. I'm sure it isn't a Hensoldt, but the eyebox and eye relief were better to my eyes than a Vortex Gen II Razor. I have a -10.5 correction on my eyes, which means I have Coke bottle eyeglasses, and find I REALLY need an easy to get behind scope. Maybe a Hensoldt is in my future…

Almost bought a Primary Arms 6-30X56mm FFP DEKA reticle, but discovered via Tiborasaurus Rex on YT that it is basically the same thing as the Vortex and Nightforce ATACR, so I dodged a bullet (sorry!) there, REGARDING EYEBOX/EYE RELIEF ONLY.

Anywaaay, here's the link: https://sageratsafaris.com/2018/06/16/master-list-ffp-long-range-rifle-scopes/

Hope it's helpful. It looks like it took a TON of work. Sure helped me.

Appreciate all the hard work that went into making this list. Very handy reference.

@carbonbased, I'm glad you found the list useful.

I'm trying decide what list to do next:
* CQB variable scopes (e.g., 1-6X type scopes)
* Red dots with 5000+ hours battery life
* SFP hunting scopes with illumination and side focus and min 9X magnification

@carbonbased
I'm trying decide what list to do next:
* CQB variable scopes (e.g., 1-6X type scopes)
* Red dots with 5000+ hours battery life
* SFP hunting scopes with illumination and side focus and min 9X magnification

How about SFP scopes with varmint reticles? Durning my research I could not figure out:
- at what magnification the wind holds were accurate at
- specifically with Leupold scopes, where are the big/little arrows are on the mag ring? (The arrows let users know where to dial the mag ring to get the correct bullet drop. For example, big arrow might mean = flat shooting calibers, I can’t remember but you get the idea.)

I found that Leupold, Swarovski, Leica, and Weaver all had varmint reticles, and I’m sure others did too. After fooling around with the manufacturer’s ballistic calculators and making my head spin trying to figure out where to zero, wind holds and more, I just bought a FFP scope. But some significant number of folks seem to like those varmint reticles…

Here’s the in-depth explanation of the big/little arrows on Leupold power selector rings (PDF):

https://cdnp.leupold.com/products/p...aiming-system-manual.pdf?mtime=20170626163401

Frankly, I think FFP is clearly the way to go if you want to use reticle holds.

I think FFP is probably the way to go, as well. But, I guess what I meant was that Leupold neglects to mention the specific magnification value per scope that they label the big and little triangles. For example, on a 6.5-20, no mention of what mag the arrows are at (12x? 16x? 18x?). Pretty crucial if the user likes 16x. If you had that info, the web might like you even more :)