• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Humidity Controlled Cabinet

Rocketmandb

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2018
    So, I think I'm going to get a humidity controlled cabinet (typically used for camera equipment) to store my opened containers of powder, The reason for this is that I've been loading my 300 PRC from an opened jug for the last few trips out, and my go-to load has been running a little hot resulting in sub-par SDs. For my latest loads, I decided to open a new 1 pounder to see how things changed. The result was that I lost 20+ fps and my SDs dropped back in line (~6 fps).

Humidity has been pretty low here in CA (roughly 35%), and I think my open jug has been impacted. We go through pretty serious seasonal swings (many days of 90% plus in winter to <15% in summer), and it is clear to me that it is impacting my loads enough to cause me problems. So I'm thinking that the solution is controlling humidity for my open containers. I don't need a big cabinet, and there are a number under $300.

In my next house, I'll install a room-sized humidity controller in my reloading room.

I'd need something far bigger to store powder, but I think it's a good idea.

I'd need something far bigger to store powder, but I think it's a good idea.

I'm not looking to store everything, just the powder I've previously opened. I'm only currently using H1000, RL26, H4895 and Varget, so I think it will hold one or two 1 pounders of each.

EDIT: There are also some significantly bigger ones, they just get extremely costly.

Worked up a load for a rifle early April. Powder has sat in my basmenent since. I run a dehumidifier, but occasionally it gets turned off or quickly fills with water, ect. My load in April was running 2800-2830, last night it ran 2760-2770. I'm going to crack a new jug and see if it takes me back up to 2800-2830. See if humidity got to my open jug.

I think a wine cooler would probably work. It would give you some temperature and humidity control.

I shot out of the new jug last night, velocity (labradar) was 2775 avg over 4 shots. So I kicked the charge weight up from 52.6 to 53. Clocked 3 in at 2830 avg (Alright I'm back in the speed zone, 2800-2840 is very forgiving). Group was a touch bigger (half moa) than typical groups. At this point I grab the old powder, hit 53grs for 3 shots they groved in around 2830 avg as well but they also printed a touch bigger than typical. I'm being picky here but I wanted to learn, charge weight up .4 tenths, groups slightly opened up..

I went and cleaned my barrel, bore scoped it, dried everything very well. Burned 1 shot as a fouler. I went back to my original load charge, 52.6. The 3 shots came in at 2810 avg, and group was trying knots .3"

What I came up with is my barrel was due for cleaning. But I had roughly 35 shots documented at the time I saw the velocity drop off. It's a newer barrel 160 rounds. RL 23 and 123 Scenars. I'll keep notes and watch closely @ velocity and be ready to clean far sooner than anticipated I guess. Anyone have similar experiences?

Last edited:
    I shot out of the new jug last night, velocity (labradar) was 2775 avg over 4 shots. So I kicked the charge weight up from 52.6 to 53. Clocked 3 in at 2830 avg (Alright I'm back in the speed zone, 2800-2840 is very forgiving). Group was a touch bigger (half moa) than typical groups. At this point I grab the old powder, hit 53grs for 3 shots they groved in around 2830 avg as well but they also printed a touch bigger than typical. I'm being picky here but I wanted to learn, charge weight up .4 tenths, groups slightly opened up..

I went and cleaned my barrel, bore scoped it, dried everything very well. Burned 1 shot as a fouler. I went back to my original load charge, 52.6. The 3 shots came in at 2810 avg, and group was trying knots .3"

What I came up with is my barrel was due for cleaning. But I had roughly 35 shots documented at the time I saw the velocity drop off. It's a newer barrel 160 rounds. RL 23 and 123 Scenars. I'll keep notes and watch closely @ velocity and be ready to clean far sooner than anticipated I guess. Anyone have similar experiences?
    I’d keep shooting and see if there’s a pattern. I don’t expect new barrels to settle down until 200-250.

In terms of what this thread was about (humidity!), to really know if it was a factor here… you need data. Specifically, put a humidity sensor inside the keg.

But… given you only have 160 rounds down your barrel… I’d just shoot it some more.

Yes, sorry for derailing from the humidity. That was the original thought of my situation, just wanted to report back on recent findings which didn't circle around humidity.