• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Humidity: Safe vs ambient

longrange772

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2021
US
General question around humidity. I know NRA recommends safe humidity between 30-50% and I have definitely see rust start when safe got over 60%. I always have my guns in a safe when not in use but I know some people that have their firearms more readily available but don't recall anyone ever complaining about rust for their firearms outside a safe where the ambient humidity conditions are regularly 65-70%. I was wonder if because precipitation in some fashion is more likely to occur inside the safe. Anyone else have similar observations/experience?

I run a large golden rod and have 2 absorbent bags in each safe. I've never checked the humidity in the safe, but I've been good for the last 40 years.

Same as above but no golden rod. I just run (2) Eva-Dry 500s (rated at 500 cubic feet each). Only other thing I did was add some weather stripping around the door to create a better seal.

....available everywhere, refillable and very low cost, 1 in bottom of safe and 1 on upper shelf of safe and you're G2G.