• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Humor / Advise Me - Scanner

Mike_Honcho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2007
So as many of you know the fire situation here in OR is pretty wild. I'm under a level 2 evac now and I'll be up all night listening to the scanner and plotting Google Earth to understand how much danger I am in. Thus far, we have some wind driven fires, some suspicious fires, and some out right arson all coming across the scanner. As you can imagine listening to the scanner (broadcastfly) and plotting the problems on the map gives one a real time handle on the level of confusion / how well things are being handled.

Since this may not be just fire in the not so distant future - I want some thing. I want a better way to scan frequencies and plot problems when the power and the internet is down. I realize I will be working with paper maps (got lots of them). What I do not have is a scanner. I want something that is both conventionally powered and battery operated. I want something that works like Broadcastfly (multi freq at once), is very capable, portable, quick to set up and not more than $300 if possible.

Thank you all

First, good luck and be careful.

Id think Gunfighter, where ever he is would be one tha could give good advice. I reckon he's still on vacation though.