• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunters around virgina beach

JWM0321

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2011
NM, USA
This year was my first year putting in for big game in nm. I came up bust on all 3. Turns out I will be in virginia for most of hunting season anyways so I would not have been able to go. With anynluck I may have some time off in VA. Any hunters in that area have any advice on where to go. Are deer tags over the counter? Is there more flexibility with private lands? What are some considerations for limitations on weapon?

Any help would be great thx
Jeff

Re: Hunters around virgina beach

With whatever it is that's making you spend hunting season there, there has to be people around you that hunt. Ask them what it is that they do. You might luck into an invite that way. Hell, that's what I would do right out of the gate.

Most of what you need to know otherwise..... VA DGIF

A lot of what you'll find "down east" (east of the Blue Ridge) is private hunt club scenarios who lease and protect large tracts of land. They run dogs down there pretty routine. You could look around and find some other large property that the owner might let you hunt, but you'll hafta do some leg work to find it.

You need permission in VA to hunt on private land. If it's unposted land then you need to have verbal permission, if it's posted land then you need written permission. That is taken seriously most everywhere you go, and the land owner does NOT need to call the law for it to be enforced. Any LEO or Game Warden can check you and write you a ticket if you do not have permission, even if the land owner is unaware of what's going on. It's a top shelf question when you are stopped by a GW....do you have permission to be here. Be it known that GWs WILL go wherever they please to check you out. I chewed out two of them last year for leaving a cattle gate open to come in and check on me.

Being someone from out of town it would be a smart move to have written permission regardless of what the situation is. I work a farm here just up the road on my days off, am best friends with the landowner, have keys to all the gates, shoot there all the time on our private 1000 yard range.....and still carry a card that says I can hunt it. It just leaves no room for error that way.

If you decide to go public land there's a lot of that too....research the rules that apply. Here's a link to Tidewater and eastern VA WMU's... link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries maintains 39 management areas totaling more than 201,000 acres for the benefit of all citizens for a variety of outdoor recreational opportunities. Many management areas are open for some type of hunting. These lands are purchased and maintained with hunting, fishing, and trapping license fees and with Wildlife Restoration Funds. We encourage the public to utilize our land and enjoy the bountiful natural resources found on each area.</div></div>

Deer tags ARE over the counter. All you need is a wallyworld, proof of hunter safety, a driver's license, and a wallet full of cash for non res licenses. You will have, when it's said and done, a VA hunting license that covers all typical 4 legged small game and non migratory game birds; and a big game license that covers deer, bear and turkey. If you want to archery hunt, or muzzleloader hunt, big game, then you will need those seperate licenses too.

You'll need to study up on the GMU's which usually go by county, and what dates/days are what, and what tags to use for the specific area you want to hunt. We have "doe days" for anlerless deer, and the rest of the time is bucks only. All that crap is in the VA DGIF link above. There's likely too much difference between any two GMU's to list here.

As far as limitations on weapons, look that over too for the specific area you will hunt. Lot's of local regs in certain areas of the commonwealth that you must comply with....especially in the populated areas of "down east". Link to local firearms regs, http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

Good luck to you....I guess.