• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting’s Newest Controversy: Snipers

View attachment 8000548

or the infamous 760 with see-through mounts. also known as the "Amish machine gun"

It’s the “Amish Automatic” or the “Mennonite Machine Gun” please and thank you. I’ve killed a few deer with my grandfather’s old 760 that I inherited before I moved on to bolt actions.

Only time I shot more than once was a buck I killed with the first shot but didn’t realize it was dead on its feet and took two more shots as it was running that missed.

I truly beleive a lot of this long range hunting is driven by tv hunting shows that always show a gigantic Whitetail buck being shot (which always fall dead at the shot) or ridiculously long shots where the deer/pronghorn/elk that always fall dead on the shot. I honestly believe that these critters are trained to fall (and play dead) when they hear a shot.

And now in Louisiana, we have groups who provide trained dogs who track and find deer that have been shot. This is a good thing, but it seems that far too many fellows are loosing the ability to track deer. They shoot, and it does not fall dead at the shot (like the tv, trained deer) they get on facebook and start begging for a tracking dog.

Tracking is just not that hard. And its not just about finding blood. Deer that are shot leave all kinds of information as they run through the brush/woods. Generally they are rather upset and not that careful.

My point, yes I am a stand sitter. But I scout my area and look for a great place for a stand. Being a guest on a lease, I am not always in the woods when I want to be, but scouting and care. Getting there early enough and staying late enough means getting some what lucky. Its hunting. Its the way it is. Passing shots a fella has no buisness taking, taking shots that are presented that are within reason and the hunter’s ability, tracking and finding the game and processing,

Its Hunting!

A final thought. When I was a very young man, hunting with wisen, experienced hunters during a time (1960’s) when seeing a deer, any deer was a rare and memorable event I was told this. (referring to when an opportunity to harvest a deer might occur)

“A man never knows when his time will come.“.

Years ago there was a Field and Stream article about guys using .50’s to hunt elk across canyons with 1000 yard shots.

Now I can do it with a 6.5 ManBun and a Quigley Ford #technology

• Haha
Reactions: hollowoutadime
Last edited:
Do you really need camo if you are shooting animals that don't know you are on the planet?
Ohh yeah. Cross breeding your camo? Digital hat and realtree shirt. Sheesh
I agree with your point about camo beyond 1000 yards being redundant; but for close in, especially archery season, it is better to contrast camo instead of matching. I do dark brown realtree 3d pants with a light tan ASAT 3d top. the contrast makes you look like less of a single large object sitting in a tree, and the 3d helps too. I've had deer within 5-10 yards all season, not a single one had a clue.

Long range hunting is easier than close range hunting. The hunter doesn’t have to be mindful of his movements or be quiet.

It’s funny how rifle hunters brag about how far they were away while bowhunters brag about how close they were to the kill. I’m guilty of both. No different than guys fishing from the bank casting as far out as they can to get to deeper water while boat fisherman fish towards the bank.

wait til they find out people are hunting medium-large sized game with air guns.

Reactions: cantankerous
View attachment 8000548

or the infamous 760 with see-through mounts. also known as the "Amish machine gun"
I grew up in Pennsylvania, and not only was that my dad's hunting rifle (till I got mom to upgrade him), but it was also the setup I shot my first deer with, a different rifle on loan from my uncle. both were the classic 30-06 760's w/see throughs. Core-lokt's a given.

Long range hunting is easier than close range hunting. The hunter doesn’t have to be mindful of his movements or be quiet.

It’s funny how rifle hunters brag about how far they were away while bowhunters brag about how close they were to the kill. I’m guilty of both. No different than guys fishing from the bank casting as far out as they can to get to deeper water while boat fisherman fish towards the bank.
I bow hunted with a group that put flags in the field at 30 yards around the stands. They didn't want anyone shooting further than that. Since I regularly practice out to 100 yards, I thought that was a little condescending. I got kicked out after the first hunt for killing my buck at 65 yards. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: BurtG
the website with that name sucks too. its the Greta Thunberg of hunting forums.
There seems to be a disagreement about NM doing away with scopes on muzzleloaders over there. Some say primitive weapons should be used as they were intended at close ranges. Someone else pointed out the irony given the name of the board.

thought snipers were purposefully trained individuals from specific programs, not your run of the mill farmer out tagging game animals
428D75FC-1F3F-46F2-AB49-63963B92CCBD.gif

I use ASAT.
I have several videos of deer under my stand looking at me and playing the head bob game. Then just going back to feeding and moving along.
I agree with your point about camo beyond 1000 yards being redundant; but for close in, especially archery season, it is better to contrast camo instead of matching. I do dark brown realtree 3d pants with a light tan ASAT 3d top. the contrast makes you look like less of a single large object sitting in a tree, and the 3d helps too. I've had deer within 5-10 yards all season, not a single one had a clue.

Did the politicians and corporate oligarchs thank him for what he sacrificed to enrich them? I bet not.
What the fuck do you care?
You think he is a piece of shit because he was on the goverment payroll (and still is).

The further you go down the hunting rabbit hole, the more and more you realize the jokes are real, and not jokes at all.

They literally have no idea how to dial on elevation or windage, nor do they understand the basics of it.

They overgun at these close ranges because they believe it defeats gravity and the straighter it shoots close the farther they can hit something.

We need to update this aspect of shooting, and designate close, medium, and long-range hunting, so it's not all tossed together.

You have straight pipe lever action types talking like they are long-range shooters and not going past 200, meanwhile the 6.5CM hunters are shooting Elk inside 400, so that is good.

What equates to success in the hunting world is crazy to me. I mean I guess I understand, using the tools like guides and such, but the short range guys are the biggest proponents of what people don't need meanwhile it's deer stand luck, as in, the longer you sit the luckier you get.

I have not read past this yet, but needed to comment on it.

The person that showed me how to hunt was my uncle.....and we hunted. You did not sit in a treehouse and wait for something to come by, that is not hunting that is just killing and any idiot could do that. We walked along the ground, looked for flat spots of grass where they bed down, walked trails, followed them.....hunted them.

After he passed all the will to do it left me, he was the closest thing to a father that I had. And that above was what he thought about the entire deal, and as a result what I think about it.

I have a feeling I will change my mind if we really get to the bug eating stage, but at least I do have the skill and practice to do it.....just not the body.

Reactions: Grizzly48
wait til they find out people are hunting medium-large sized game with air guns.

They already know, they just want to go after the "real" gunz first.

As soon as they figure out the more easy target are airgunners they will have the same "laws" that firearms do.

Several years ago one of the bigger airgun sites had a "long ranger" contest. You would shoot one of those trick golf balls that explode into dust when you hit it.

Videos of 600 yard shots on a golf ball with an airgun started showing up.

Personally I think it was the worst idea ever....a little like the "lead and dust collectors"......I think these idiots are going to ruin it, just like drone flyers ruined radio controlled airplanes for everyone. Get the fucking feds attn and no good will come of it.

Deer are stupid and don’t care if your wearing carpenter pants and a t shirt. I’ve got mixed feelings about camo. This yearling was about 30 yards from me, I was in a makeshift ground blind with open windows.
E5AD0E51-D88A-48C0-ACEB-9B1CA8912DB6.jpeg

Deer are stupid and don’t care if your wearing carpenter pants and a t shirt. I’ve got mixed feelings about camo. This yearling was about 30 yards from me, I was in a makeshift ground blind with open windows. View attachment 8000901
Camo isn’t necessary at all but it’s fun to dress up for some people. It’s why cyclists riding down the highway wear that stupid looking spandex outfit. These animals notice movement. No camo or special detergent and deodorant required.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Camo isn’t necessary at all but it’s fun to dress up for some people. It’s why cyclists riding down the highway wear that stupid looking spandex outfit. These animals notice movement. No camo or special detergent and deodorant required.
Might actually agree with you on something it seems 🤔

Deer are stupid and don’t care if your wearing carpenter pants and a t shirt. I’ve got mixed feelings about camo. This yearling was about 30 yards from me, I was in a makeshift ground blind with open windows.
nice shitting action pic there. :LOL: I've had them close all year. this is an open, exposed ladder stand. I even had a dumb opossum sitting on the branch next to me a few feet away.

IMG_1830 - Copy.jpg

IMG_1785 - Copy.jpg

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Tailgate? I enjoy wagging my dick right in people's faces. Some times the people behind you appreciate the deer. sometimes I get the vegan activist who is loosing her shit and blowing the horn. :LOL:

View attachment 8000905
I drove across Tulsa with 3 sets of hooves sticking up out of the bed of my Dodge, I got a few thumbs up and more than a few dirty looks.

There seems to be a disagreement about NM doing away with scopes on muzzleloaders over there. Some say primitive weapons should be used as they were intended at close ranges. Someone else pointed out the irony given the name of the board.
Yeah I was in that thread, banning scopes makes already shitty shots worse at all ranges but the guys doing the long range shooting will continue to do so with high quality irons but less opportunities. Will most likely lead to more lost and wounded game. I feel bad for the older guys with bad eyesight, I know my dad doesn’t shoot irons at all due to his eyesight.

I have not read past this yet, but needed to comment on it.

The person that showed me how to hunt was my uncle.....and we hunted. You did not sit in a treehouse and wait for something to come by, that is not hunting that is just killing and any idiot could do that. We walked along the ground, looked for flat spots of grass where they bed down, walked trails, followed them.....hunted them.
It really depends on the location, here in PA the landscape is rather fragmented by property lines and the properties aren’t terribly large. You can get away with a bit of still hunting but it doesn’t take much to start bumping deer and it only takes them moving a couple hundred yards to be off the property entirely.

Additionally PA has one of the highest population of hunters in the state and we personally have 15 guys hunting on about 500 acres across several properties, it works for stand hunting and driving but having 15 guys wandering around in the thick woods in close proximity is a safety issue waiting to happen.

Reactions: BurtG
TrackingPoint rifles are made for those who either can’t hold a gun steady or can’t / won’t DOPE the rifle.
I bought a TrackingPoint 6.5 Creedmoor for a relative some time ago trying to get them interested in shooting. (That was a waste)

It’s ~ a 1 MOA system if you can read the wind.

The targeting system is is their secret sauce and is good but not great. It calculates the shooting solution with 20 variables including wind, elevation, temp, humidity, vibration, and other inputs / sensors contained in the scope.
(They effectively took the “SHOOTER” ballistic app and put it into the scope)
The catch is you have to be able to tag an exact spot on the target then press a button. (Or you could hold another gun with good technique, pull the trigger and be as accurate if not better than the tag with th TP).
And you have to know the wind speed and direction and enter it manually.
So from 200-700 yards it shoots better than any beginner / novice, and those who have no clue what to do with the Mil / MOA reticle marks.

From 700-1200 its a crapshoot.

But if you know how to DOPE a scope is and how to use it, you’ll consistently shoot better than a TrackingPoint.

Both my bolt Delta 7 in .308 and semi DD5 in .308 with a Nightforce ATACR shoots substantially better than the TP (at 1/2 the cost).