• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting and Fishing in Hawaii

Backspace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2012
Florence, SC
Going on a 10 day trip to Hawaii this may and would really like to do some fishing, spearfishing, or maybe even some hunting. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

What Island/s are you visiting? Are you able or willing to charter a flight to other islands?

We are staying on the big island. I assume i could figure out how to get to one of the other islands.
I would plan as far out ad you can. Flights between the islands can go from $80 to $800 very fast. Wife's "uncle" has seen prices upwards of $1600

Thankfully the Big Island does have hunting and fishing opportunity.

All of the hunting guides supply the rifle for you. It’s hard to get a rifle there to use for a hunt. They need to be checked in with the police if they have time. All kinds of guided hunting opportunities for you.

Given some luck you can find a local guide to take you pig hunting. Don't need a gun. They use dogs and a big knife. There are also goat and fallow deer, but opportunities are very limited. I hunted fallow deer on Lanai, the season was one day long. Deep sea fishing would be my recommendation. Marlin are available and quite a trophy. You can get snorkeling gear anywhere, and a spear gun. Need a book on what's good to eat.

Since you’ll be on the big Island Hilo is your target for fishing. I am sure you can search the Internet for charter out of Hilo for your bigeyes and yellow fin tuna

I was very disappointed when I went fishing in Maui.
Their guides keep the fish you catch and sale it to the restaurants 🤥!
My girlfriend has family that lives there and I planed to have for them but NO😡
Make sure you know before you go!

All of the hunting guides supply the rifle for you. . They need to be checked in with the police if they have time. All kinds of guided hunting opportunities for you.
Wait what??
It's still the USA where 2A applies.. why would the police say you have to check in a bolt gun??

Wait what??
It's still the USA where 2A applies.. why would the police say you have to check in a bolt gun??
No clue. The guide informed me this is how it works. Just go with the pig and they will hand you a knife to hunt with.

They have some of the worst gun control laws in the nation. Makes CA look like a fucking paradise. I grew up there and left as soon as possible. If you want to have some fun get yourself a mask, snorkel, and a three prong spear and ask a local guy where is a good free diving spot. Get a book too so you know what to shoot. There is generally no bag limit and I think the only size limit is on kumu, ta'ape, and to'au fish if I remember correctly.

Cheap, easy, and tasty fun. If you don't know how to cook the fish you catch, look it up or just wrap in foil with mayo or butter and garlic and onions, spices,etc. Easy and hard to screw up.

This is way more bang for your buck than a fishing charter but those are good too.

spearfishing on big island isn't as a rule very good. deep water can be, but most reef fish will be pretty wise to the guy swimming with a spear

about all i did for two years was fish and surf around Hilo.

i guess it isn't great on other islands either, but spear fishing in other places has me spoiled. you really shouldn't eat a lot of the reef fish due to ciguatera

it's pretty ez to hunt goats, pigs and deer on other islands.. can't remember what regs are on Kona side..

i always like catching hole hole from out of the wailuku. catch about a dozen and have a mean fish fry. bread ball on a hook.. use a piece of stick as a rod and find some line.

Only Roe fish were known to have common problems with ciguatera as far as I can remember.

All fish are wise to being hunted in easily accessible spots. Just be a better hunter, lol.