• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting apparel

Ritten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2007
Houma, Louisiana
In the past I've always just pieced together stuff to hunt in. An old camo jacket with layers of sweaters, shirts and underarmor......cargo pants with two or three layers underneath for warmth. If it was raining I either stayed home or wore a poncho. Having ridden motorcycles for a number of years and put apparel through some serious beatings, I know there is some really good stuff out there that does what it says when it comes to keeping one warm AND dry.......but if it isn't designed for the highway then I have no clue.

I'm not afraid to pay for something if it's worth the money and I just wanted to see if ya'll have any particular brand (or system) that you've found to work in our diverse Louisiana winters (10 degrees to 75 degrees - rain and sun). I've decided to start gathering some clothes now so that perhaps I can beat the hunting season rush. I'm good on footware so just need recommendations for shirts, jackets, pants, bibs, etc.

Re: Hunting apparel

Sitka gear is spendy, but I've heard great reviews.

If that's not in the budget then look at offerings from Under Armour for inside layers and Rivers West for outer layers.

I'm partial to clothing made out of gore-tex material for wet environments. Under Armour has been working well for me in the heat, but most people i talk to either love UA or hate it, so you would have to try it out for yourself.

I used the new UA Extreme Cold Weather stuff in Alberta this year along with their layers. The stuff rocks, been using it a couple of years now.

Sitka is very nice stuff also. I don't have as many pieces of that.

But I got tons of UA and it works very well for Louisiana or anywhere else you go!!

If you want to spend the cash sitka gear is the best that i have ever owned.

I like the UA for a base layer then a merino wool for my next layer covered with the Sitka Ascent pant and the Sitka Coldfront Jacket. As previously noted the cost of the Sitka is steep but well worth it in my opinion. As you know, the LA winters are hardly worth calling them that so layering is a must when daylight brings 30* and by noon it is 80*.

Watch what u get in regards to gore-tex. I bought a new pair of the browning hydro-fleece about 2 yrs ago. It wasnt the same as the original far less 'fleecy'.
If you rub the actual outer shell together you can feel its fairly thin. If you get in thick stuff it'll SHRED quite easily.
Was going through stuff that not many in their right mind would an it looked as if I'd gone a few rounds with a wolverine by the time i was done.
The actual wool's are nice for cooler climates and some are now waterproof, not familar with the sitka so cant speak on it. Just get something durable an comfy.
Could check out my buddies stuff to depending on your location its nice for out west:
www.enigmacamo.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: POTUS12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you know, the LA winters are hardly worth calling them that so layering is a must when daylight brings 30* and by noon it is 80*. </div></div>

Exactly. I well know the benefits of layering. I already have a pretty extensive UA collection for wearing underneath racing leathers or street gear so I should be good there. The Sitka stuff seems to be high quality without being too bulky. Looks like we have a dealer in Baton Rouge so I may try to head over there this weekend to check it out in person.

+1 on the Sitka stuff. I have their full layering package and it is comfortable and warm. If you move and climb a lot, it can't be beat. Very flexible and lightweight, Dries fast and you can wear it for weeks and it won't smell like a goat. THeir MTN Acsent pants are my go to pants for just about anything.

Here in Utah weather changes frequently in the fall. I've seen 70 and dry change to 10 and snowy in a couple of hours and the country that I hunt in is steep and rough. The sitka gear is the best I've seen. Well worth the money especially when it rains and snows for 3 days strait and you have 3 elk to pack out like last season lol.