• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting build

FrozenMinnesotan

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2018
Ne MN
Looking to possibly build a hunting rifle either off a factory rifle or semi custom route. Mostly used for deer hunting in NE MN. Longest shot is sub 500 yards and never carried very much.
Here's what I'm thinking. Feel free to offer other options and or feed back.

Optic - nx8 2.5-20
All stocks will be mesa altitude except for cross and waypoint.

1) Tikka ctr 308 factory just in mesa stock using ctr mags

2) Tikka lite standard barrel or with proof carbon
Tikka performance rail and outdoorsman xl parts
Factory bdl

3) bergara ridge SP 308
Egw rail, factory bdl

4) sig cross all factory

5) Springfield waypoint all factory

6) Mack bros action, bartlein 3b 20"
TT special, Hawkins bdl or dbm about $700 more expensive overall but possibly better. Really close in price to Tikka lite with proof carbon

I would think the ctr or cross depending if you want a chassis or stock.

I don't think the custom will provide much improvement over the factory offerings for what your looking for. Customs are nice if you want a non standard caliber or twist, or if you have aditional criteria you need to meet.

I read the Tikka are very nice and I like my cross enough to reccomend one as well. I've shot my 16" 308win Cross to around 940yds consistently and it's very accurate.

I’m working on something similar. Tikka long action in 300wsm in mesa precision with 22” carbon barrel. Mountain tactical long action mags. I think that fits a pretty good middle ground and keeps weight low and is on the shorter side. Sig cross is nice with the folding stock. The Springfield waypoint gets you something very similar to the tikka, carbon barrel, carbon stock route

Yea. There's so many options these days. I had a origin in a Jcs composites stock with a proof medium Palma at 20". Was around 11lbs after that. Want something a little lighter for ease of carry just in case I do go west. It looks like I'm gonna have to look into the ctr and cross more

what cal are you thinking?

do you shoot off sticks or tripod etc?

I always thought a Seekins Havak Element would be a sweet hunting rifle for how light it is. They’re not cheap but they look setup perfect for hunting