• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting camo

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
For those of us deer hunting it is always funny to see friends, and others, go out and get all Gucci with the camo. I have a few friends that evey year they are getting the newest and "best" camo they can buy. I still wear a pair of brown jeans and a neutral color shit or coat. Never had an issue getting critters from rabbits to deer.

Remember my grandfather going out in his work clothes and having no issues. Same with people like Fred Bear in his jeans and a flannel. Have always wondered how much the camo really did, or if it is all just a mind game with yourself. It ends up coming down to wind, scent, and noise. Control these and typically you will be fine.

Was currious how many of you guys here are the Gucci type, and how many just say fuck it and go hunting.

Haha 20 dollar wrangler carpenters pants and a t shirt, maybe a camo sweatshirt if it’s cold enough. I’ve got two really nice sets of camo, but the deer in NC don’t care, so I don’t waste my time. The one must I have is a nice set of wolverine waterproof boots.

I wear jeans and a jacket most days…. If I wear camo… it’s just a old military surplus jacket or something.

Reactions: woogie_man
Just earth tones here. All my clothing is brown, green or grey anyway.

Mostly solid earth tones for me as well. Some of my heavier clothes are camo, and of course what i use for spring turkey hunting.
The solid earth tones get fewer raised eyebrows in my uppity suburban neighborhood.

A lot of deer killed over the years here in Pennsylvania in the PA Tuxedo .....a red and black plaid woolrich hunting coat and pants.

Was currious how many of you guys here are the Gucci type, and how many just say fuck it and go hunting.
I use camo as I think it helps but I sure ain’t “Gucci”.
For up close applications like bow hunting and keeping the mature does from seeing you while waiting for big bucks, I believe it helps. Besides I already own it for crow and coyote hunting
Now I will admit the most important aspect is be still and work the wind.
of course so much hunting in the Deep South on private land is from enclosed spaces where it really doesn’t matter what you wear.

All camo is good for is attracting the game warden.
I used to hunt with a dude that wore his work uniform ( light blue/white pin stripe shirt, dark blue pants/jacket) and would sit on a 5 gallon bucket behind a clump of dog fennel with his shot gun while chain smoking cigarettes and the bucks would head straight to him.
The color of your clothes are much less important than being still and making slow, deliberate motions when you do have to move.
Hunting with the chain smoker also thought me lots about using the wind to my advantage as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalthoff
I've gotten more into the one color/solids game. In real cold temps the old school camo bibs and gear come out.

You didn't really get into what game species you are focused on. As others stated I'd bet you could wear anything hunting any game animal....just sit still enough.

Camo is the same as equipment. In everyday use Bushnell is essentially the same as Safran Vectronix, but when you are in extreme conditions you see more of the things that set them apart. There is 20+ brands that could be"gucci" so it ultimately comes down to convenience or personal preference.

Reactions: Kalthoff
For those of us deer hunting it is always funny to see friends, and others, go out and get all Gucci with the camo. I have a few friends that evey year they are getting the newest and "best" camo they can buy. I still wear a pair of brown jeans and a neutral color shit or coat. Never had an issue getting critters from rabbits to deer.

Remember my grandfather going out in his work clothes and having no issues. Same with people like Fred Bear in his jeans and a flannel. Have always wondered how much the camo really did, or if it is all just a mind game with yourself. It ends up coming down to wind, scent, and noise. Control these and typically you will be fine.

I'd assume you would take the position that its the shooter not the rifle. I would agree with you on that and also say its the same for hunting. Hunters and people who hunt are as different as shooters and people who shoot. If you know, you know. And if you don't, no equipment will change the outcome.

Oh most definitely you need good equipment, and you need to know how to use it and its limits. I will go out for almost everything from rabbits to deer in jeans and a shirt, typically neutral colors. Havent had any issues as of yet.

I do find it funny to see the people at the sporting goods store buying thousands of dollars worth of clothing, just to buy more next year. Suppose the clothing makers are hunting as well....and there are plenty of people taking the bait.

Saturday I wore light brown wrangler pants and a realtree tshirt. It actually had sleeves which doesn’t always happen

My rifle was covered in spray paint also.

not too fancy, I just like getting in the woods

Oh no, You have Got to have a newest HECS camo suit made out of scent free carbon fiber conductive stealth material

Camo patterns be damned, but First Lite has been the best cold weather performance gear I've used. It outperforms Sitka for me. Really incredible stuff. I won't hunt without it now!

Reactions: woogie_man
Cold weather is different than camo though. The cano at that point is the same as any other graphics or anything on a shirt or pants

how would this fare opening day in wisconsin or PA?

1631155448963.jpeg

I am the gucci’ish type now.

I wasn’t always. I use to, and occasionally still, wear earth tone color non-cotton synthetic clothes I’d use for hiking.

I have the money to blow now. I’m in the under armor line up mostly. I don’t really buy the camo for the camouflage. It’s the fact that every year I do may 3 to 4 states and close to 30 days a year in the backcountry. Sometimes as far as 20 miles from any truck or trail.

I like specific gear made for specific purpose. I’d be buying it anyways if it was through mountain hardware or arcteryx etc. So why not.

However, I can agree that dudes go hard on the camo buying specific patterns for hunts and blowing $1000s of dollars on Sitka gear….$1000 getting you some pants a top and a jacket. Lol

this has always and probably will always be a huge debate. i can't knock anyone for their choice because I'm the dummy who owns a lot of Sitka but they also make a very well made product. i haven't had the first regret yet. in the early season here in SW Georgia i do wear camo while in the stand bow hunting. it might not make a difference (i'm almost positive it doesn't) but it's just a peace of mind thing. come rifle season when we're in Box stands or the "mobile Ground blind" i'm usually in some jeans/MK and a warm jacket. i've sat in the pure open with the same attire. Hell, i've got a deer on the wall that was killed in my work clothes. (slacks and a button up) all i did was leave the office, change into my boots and climbed up into the stand, a ladder stand at that. so no i really don't think it matters. of course i've only hunted whitetail and pigs so maybe it matters with other animals, i couldn't tell you. there's people who still paint their face.......

I used to destroy 2-3 pairs of jeans a year hunting. So far my 2 year old pair of Kuiu pants are going strong. But I went with solid colors so I could use them for stuff other than hunting. I'll never wear a pair of jeans into the mountains again.

Years ago it was easy to find blaze orange with camo breakup on it. Now, only sweatshirts. And what I want is a goretex shell that I can layer under as needed. It makes no sense buying a camo jacket and then having to put a blaze orange vest over it to be legal?

The vest just becomes a pain in the ass. And I DO want to be visible to other hunters out there.

Kuiu has been a game changer for my style of hunting. Yes I’ve done it for many years in jeans/BDUs/etc.., but the Kuiu stuff is way more comfortable and has lasted well. Their attack pants are worth every penny in my opinion.

Wow never knew Aron Snyder started rokslide. The more you know.gif
Yep ... a few Rokslide guys quietly hanging out here ... and vice versa.

With a few significant field shooters running Kifaru, it would be fascinating to know just how much knowledge, tips, etc from extreme backcountry hunting have made their way into field competition practice ...

I only wear Gucci camo so I look cool for pictures.
Blue jeans and red and black checkered flannel works most of the time.
A basically just don't wear bright colors, something comfy and easy to move on. Sometimes hunters overthink everything.

Reactions: Ranchhand
For those Antelope drops here in Wyoming, the head mask is key. Without it they all know me....fuckers

BCACF64E-E439-46F6-94D1-1573BF4545C1.jpeg