• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting clothing build quality; First Lite, Kuiu, Sitka, Browning Hell's Canyon, Eberlestock, Stone Glacier etc.

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I have a variety of items from almost all of these, more of Kuiu than any other.

Used to be a Kuiu fanboy, but then I realized that it was a lot less warm, and less water proof than what Kuiu would like you to believe.

Never used to like Sitka, but it seems like they are making better items.

First lite wool is good stuff, but even thought it can be washed it can only be washed alone. I have two shirts that are near new and look like swiss cheese.

Really want to like Browning Hell's Canyon, but I have ripped out side seams on two pairs of pants. But hell they were $45 each on sale, for a pair of quiet soft shells, and we wore them skiing in the alps. If I got a good deal, I am a whore for a deal so I'd probably buy them again. I have no experience with their jackets.

Stone Glacier's Dehaviland pants are awesome. But pretty warm for our New Mexico climate. My biggest gripe is they do not come in loden green, or at least some kind of large pattern camo. Their version of coyote or flat dark earth what ever they are calling it is the same color as an elk. Kind of scared to wear it in the elk woods. But wearing them at work they are great.

Dude I'm honestly not a fanboy of any name brand hunting apparel.
    I bought a few articles of the above mentioned brands but I end up wearing cheaper synthetic clothes, and If it's wet or cold I break out my wool and military surplus goretex.
    I just can't pay Sitka prices for imported crap

I wear the sitka ascent pants during hunting season. Its my 3rd year with it for 3 months each season. Mostly up sharp rocks and sluding down gravel on the mountains. It keeps me cool in our humidity here and it hasnt torn or showed signs of serious wear yet. My brother wears sixsite snd likes his. Idk what model it is tho.

Probably the best kept secret for hunting apparel are Icebreaker Merino base layers for warmth, if you're into the layering game. After that, I tend to pick whatever shell or outer garment works best, regardless of brand. Those base layers go on every trip with me though, and make great travel apparel too.

I hunt in alot of Arcteryx leaf gear, pricey yes, but It has yet to fall apart, it is warm and reasonably light, the alpha outer wet weather shell works fantastic and I like the ''athletic'' or tactical if you want cut as I find it fits and moves well for hunting. I have over the last few years built up a full layering system of their kit and find it all works really well when you layer up/down as you should. I get the ranger green or croc colours as I am not a massive fan of camo hunting gear and prefer subdued colours. The items wash well, the alpha jacket and pants have been washed and reproofed several times as they get splattered in blood the whole time and its a simple process and results in the shell working like new again.

I forgot to mention, if money is no object, you are willing to wait, and you are looking for some seriously nice gear that is more along the "tactical" line, Patagonia's Lost Arrow Project is very much worth it.

Reactions: wrightsean
    A buddy used a lot of mountaineering clothing in Kyrgistan in December for an ibex hunt. He was still cold. I don't think there is always a right answer.

I'd like to have a King of the Mountain wool set.

im only after coyotes and i went homemade redeck style last season & i made my own;)....its called DIRT NAP CAMO :cool:..only other stuff i wear is a set of bibs and a matching coat in white with scattered brown leaf print for snow on the ground..Good luck :cool:

Attachments

• 48496197192_437fc9a247_k.jpg
      48496197192_437fc9a247_k.jpg
      877.1 KB · Views: 198
    • 48433936861_ca872b2bd1_k.jpg
      48433936861_ca872b2bd1_k.jpg
      729.5 KB · Views: 161
    Last edited:
    Reactions: jphil108
    If this link doesn't work try this search in youtube " camo test huntavaria".

I agree with 99% of what he says about having dead space in a pattern to provide depth.

I really like Kuiu base and insulation layers. I think my Sitka outer layers far superior to Kuiu. For non camo, wear anywhere option, Kuhl has some nice options my wife and I really like if conditions are dry. Im looking at First Lite rain gear as my Kuiu is only tough enough for sitting around the camp fire use.

But it all fairness to Kuiu's products, all of their pieces are lite weight arguably the standard for a multi day early season back pack hunt.

I wear a lot of Sitka, but have yet to pay full price for any of it. You can usually find good clearance deals on end of year closeouts and such. Most of my heavyweight gear and waterfowl gear is Cabela's brand clothing, but from before they went to shit. Also have a pile of their polar weight base layers that seem to be much better than what they offer today. Scheels has a reasonable priced line of merino wool baselayers I'd like to try as well and seem to have good reviews. The past few years I've been using a Heater Body Suit for my cold weather hunts, so really don't use much in the way of heavyweight clothing anymore. This is all static, treestand hunting though, not the more active demands one would experience out west. I've found Kifaru to be my preferred source of belts.

If I don't hike 8-9 miles it isn't a hunt. I am not a hard ass, it is just a product of living in the Rockies, and tons of other hunters on public land.

My cold weather tree stand stuff is from Germany, but it is all green or orange. I don't own farm land I can hunt on.

Huge fan of First Lite. Have nearly every single piece, and no problem washing any of it. I literally live in the lighter tee shirt layers year round. Have wash them countless times and not a single issue.

Sitka has treated me well, but I only have a few of their layers. People keep buying it for me, but it ain’t my first choice. Even still, I wear it, namely for duck hunting.

Wouldn’t mind giving Kuiu a go. I particularly like their day packs. It wouldn’t replace my kifaru, but it would be a nice companion to it.

I also wear Arcterycs. No complaints there.

The wool First Lite long sleeve shirts I have are awesome, but my washer, my dryer or something is eating holes in them when they are washed. Have to be mindful of it.

I have some first lite and Sitka gear. The Sitka outer layers and waterproof layers are top notch. My FL base layers didn’t fit as well as I had hoped but my FL furnace is a really nice heavy mid layer.

Dream hunt

They poach the fuck out of it. Every ibex they saw was running flat out at 500-800 yards. He is going to Kazakstan, Mongolia, Russia or Tajikistan next time.

Guides even told him they poach the fuck out of it.

Was kind of a fucked up hunt.

He is a gunsmith in Australia, I met him within a few days of moving to Australia and he and I became good friends. We hunted together for 3 years, and built quite a few guns together.

When I moved back to American his wife (who is smoking hot) started fucking around on him (I am pretty sure this was going on when I lived there, what kind of a chick goes on a bike ride at 9 pm with 5 dudes?). So he needed to blow off steam and after her and her lawyers and the judge pounded my buddy in the ass financially and emotionally he decided an ibex hunt was the way to do it.

He booked his hunt through Bryan Martin, with a group of Aussies. Communication sucked, because my buddy was out of the loop and information didn't get passed. About a week before he was to board an airplane to Dushanbe, an email came in requesting that the hunters had $3000 USD in hand to pay for tips (mandatory). About 5 minutes after they departed the airplane in Dushanebe they were shaken down for the tips.

They eventually got to the hunt area, and 5 hunters got 5 ibex. But he is fairly sure that only 3 hunters shot the ibex. The guides left them in base camp to retrieve the ibex that were surely wounded. And the elderly members of the hunt went back to camp (so the guides could go and shoot some more ibex).

He was offered to shoot an argali for photos for a fee. I would imagine (as did he), this would be a good way to end up in a Krygiz prison.

Anyway he got back to Australia, and the customs agents were so interested in his rifle and making sure it was safe that they never searched his duffel bag that had the ibex in it. Saving him thousands of dollars in Australian taxes.

He doesn't really recommend Kirgiz. And another friend of mine had almost the same experience.

I am thinking if I get to do a hunt like that it will be Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Kazkstan, or Tajikstan better situation for the hunters.

They poach the fuck out of it. Every ibex they saw was running flat out at 500-800 yards. He is going to Kazakstan, Mongolia, Russia or Tajikistan next time.

He is a gunsmith in Australia, I met him within a few days of moving to Australia and he and I became good friends. We hunted together for 3 years, and built quite a few guns together.

When I moved back to American his wife (who is smoking hot) started fucking around on him (I am pretty sure this was going on when I lived there, what kind of a chick goes on a bike ride at 9 pm with 5 dudes?). So he needed to blow off steam and after her and her lawyers and the judge pounded my buddy in the ass financially and emotionally he decided an ibex hunt was the way to do it.

He booked his hunt through Bryan Martin, with a group of Aussies. Communication sucked, because my buddy was out of the loop and information didn't get passed. About a week before he was to board an airplane to Dushanbe, an email came in requesting that the hunters had $3000 USD in hand to pay for tips (mandatory). About 5 minutes after they departed the airplane in Dushanebe they were shaken down for the tips.

They eventually got to the hunt area, and 5 hunters got 5 ibex. But he is fairly sure that only 3 hunters shot the ibex. The guides left them in base camp to retrieve the ibex that were surely wounded. And the elderly members of the hunt went back to camp (so the guides could go and shoot some more ibex).

He was offered to shoot an argali for photos for a fee. I would imagine (as did he), this would be a good way to end up in a Krygiz prison.

Anyway he got back to Australia, and the customs agents were so interested in his rifle and making sure it was safe that they never searched his duffel bag that had the ibex in it. Saving him thousands of dollars in Australian taxes.

He doesn't really recommend Kirgiz. And another friend of mine had almost the same experience.

I am thinking if I get to do a hunt like that it will be Pakistan, Mongolia, Russia, Kazkstan, or Tajikstan better situation for the hunters.

Wow what a story. Ive always wondered how it really is over there.

Second the recommendations for sixsite (USA made and fantastic customer service) and arcteryx leaf (the best for waterproof/breathable). I’ve found firstlite to be hit and miss, and they do not stand behind their products. For base-layer, I stick with icebreaker or minus33 wool in solid dark colors. King of the mountain is supposed to be great, but cost prohibitive.

Probably the best kept secret for hunting apparel are Icebreaker Merino base layers for warmth, if you're into the layering game. After that, I tend to pick whatever shell or outer garment works best, regardless of brand. Those base layers go on every trip with me though, and make great travel apparel too.

Merino wool for nearly everything here in northern Wisconsin. I have mostly switched to "Minus 33" for my hunting layers as they offer a variety of thicknesses. Expedition weight is nice and thick, ideal for stand sitting for many hours.
    2 layers for socks -everyday icebreaker quarter height under thicker tube height, both merino. Boots vary with temp
    3 layers of pants -thin merino layer lines up to quarter sock, then thick merino layer over tube sock, then camo scent lock style shell of appropriate thickness for the outside temp
    3 layer upper -thin merino long sleeve or t shirt (temp dependent), thicker quarter zip high neck merino, then camo scent lock shell to match the pants
    every top layers over the matching bottom layer and I wear an icebreaker merino neck gator layered under the quarter zip and over my icebreaker hat.

This is probably the best peice of hunting equipment I have ever purchased, though mine predates the thumb holes.

Reactions: Leftie
    After spending thousands of dollars on various "hunting" brands over a few years, I came to the conclusion that they mostly suck. More general outdoor companies (Arcteryx, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, etc.), typically have much better offerings (in terms of quality) and you can usually find them for much cheaper. It's also a bonus to have solid color offerings instead of camo.

Reactions: FjallJager
    Merino wool for nearly everything here in northern Wisconsin. I have mostly switched to "Minus 33" for my hunting layers as they offer a variety of thicknesses. Expedition weight is nice and thick, ideal for stand sitting for many hours.
    2 layers for socks -everyday icebreaker quarter height under thicker tube height, both merino. Boots vary with temp
    3 layers of pants -thin merino layer lines up to quarter sock, then thick merino layer over tube sock, then camo scent lock style shell of appropriate thickness for the outside temp
    3 layer upper -thin merino long sleeve or t shirt (temp dependent), thicker quarter zip high neck merino, then camo scent lock shell to match the pants
    every top layers over the matching bottom layer and I wear an icebreaker merino neck gator layered under the quarter zip and over my icebreaker hat.

This is probably the best peice of hunting equipment I have ever purchased, though mine predates the thumb holes.

@Austan and I share very similar layering philosophies, down to the quarter zip high necks, and the icebreaker hats.

Another really, really useful product for any weather condition are liner socks, although I've replaced traditional liners with merino "toe socks" when putting in long distances. They reduce sweatiness, and have definitely saved my feet from a lot of nasty blisters. I only wish that they made these in an "over the calf" version instead of just crew, as they would be the most perfect liner sock ever.
    https://www.injinji.com/liner-crew-nuwool.html

Injinji also makes an over the calf compression sock that I haven't tried, but I'm likely to pick up a pair for long-haul travel. If you aren't wedded to wool as a next-to skin layer for your feet, these would likely be a great choice to supplement an outer sock.

After spending thousands of dollars on various "hunting" brands over a few years, I came to the conclusion that they mostly suck. More general outdoor companies (Arcteryx, Patagonia, Outdoor Research, etc.), typically have much better offerings (in terms of quality) and you can usually find them for much cheaper. It's also a bonus to have solid color offerings instead of camo.

I also wouldn't discount older technologies or solutions. There's a reason why Wax/Tin cloth are still around, as are thick, boiled wool garments. If they fit your need, then use it. Solid color offerings are definitely a bonus too. I've gravitated towards solid colors for layers and then if I need camo, I wear a lighter over-garment. That seems to work best for me...

Those are interesting socks Leftie. I might have to try a pair.

Another thing I didn't metion about my clothes set up is that if I plan to walk most or all of the day, I simply do not wear the heavy expedition layer, and pack it small in a pack with my cook kit in case I decide to sit for an extended period or the weather gets nasty.

The socks take a little getting used to due to having to put each toe into each toe-sock part, but they're really great.

To echo @Austan's post above, I tend not to wear the heavy expedition layer either when I am moving . I tend to wear breathable layers when I'm active, and keep a lightweight wind shirt in an accessible pocket in case I encounter high wind or light rain/snow. I also use it as a way to keep body heat in, and underneath an expedition layer or shell if I need to trap warmth and keep moisture out at the same time.

My "shell" and insulation layers are generally only for really nasty weather or extended sitting, although for extended sitting or trips afield, I find that blankets or poncho-liner type insulation is more efficient than a dedicated insulation garment, as they are more efficient in being multi-use and taking up less space in a pack than dedicated insulation layers for sitting.

Reactions: Austan
    I have run Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek, Kings, Scree, Cabelas, Bass Pro, LEAF, Beyond Clothing.

For a GTHB my choice are Sitka, LEAF and Beyond.

Base layer wool only, Meriwool/IBEX/WoolX/Meriowool/Ridge/Voormi.

For lighter outside layers, I prefer Windstopper from Sitka or Kryptek.

The good stuff always cost, pay whatever you feel comfortable paying but dont let the lack of proper clothing keep you from your hunt!

That sucks i thought bryan martin ran a top notch operation. I would not be happy dealing with that shit after paying that for a hunt. If i win the lottery a markhor hunt in pakistan is on the list.

Patagonia makes great shit but their anti predator hunting stance will keep me from wearing it with all the other options out there. Dont see much talk about Kryptek but the pieces i have perform as expected.

I also wouldn't discount older technologies or solutions. There's a reason why Wax/Tin cloth are still around, as are thick, boiled wool garments. If they fit your need, then use it. Solid color offerings are definitely a bonus too. I've gravitated towards solid colors for layers and then if I need camo, I wear a lighter over-garment. That seems to work best for me...

Just no!

Tin cloth? So you can sound like 10 banjos as you hike up a mountain?

I can't really see it as an option, lived in Alaska, throughout the Rockies, spent time in Afghanistan with the military and lived in really rainy places like SW Germany and the Puget Sound.

I have lots of wool, but oil skins and tin cloth are for the 1800s.

I can't really see it as an option, lived in Alaska, throughout the Rockies, spent time in Afghanistan with the military and lived in really rainy places like SW Germany and the Puget Sound.

I have lots of wool, but oil skins and tin cloth are for the 1800s.

I totally agree with you that there are MUCH better options available now, and it's archaic stuff (which is heavy and makes a fair bit of noise) , but I do think that tin cloth and the like still has a place, especially as a layer when working in or moving through thick brush.

I've ruined a few high-tech garments thanks to a poorly placed bramble patch or thicket, where even many of the soft/hard shells with DWR that work great everywhere else get shredded. Is it sexy? Not at all, but it works, and it will keep you reasonably dry. I actually like oilcloth for upland and for waterfowl hunts.

If it's not your thing, I don't blame you.

I do think that regardless of the brand, washing in Nikwax and similar products to restore DWR on outerwear is important to preserve garment functionality and waterproofing.

Jealous of you having lived in Alaska, that's beautiful country.

If you're looking for warm/proof outer layers try Drake's line of waterfowl jackets. Get a shell jacket if moving around a lot and an insulated one if still or sit hunting. They are incredibly water/wind proff and are pretty resistant to wear and tear from brush hunting.