• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Education recommendations?

AleksanderSuave

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2020
Detroit, MI
Im in the "adult learning to hunt" camp...had an awesome season, all things considered for my first one, took two in one day at the end of it, during rifle season.

However, all things considered, Im definitely lacking in scouting..and saw close to nothing during archery season.

Thinking taking John Eberhart's white tail workshop, but overall looking for recommendations on required reading for hunting, tracking, calling, etc.

Anything you guys can throw at me.

My goal next year is to take one during archery season, ahead of rifle season when most of public land up here has been ravaged.

Im in Michigan, always looking for more guys to learn from, not closed off to the idea of out of state travel for hunting or classes, but this year will be tough to swing it.

If you have aspirations to hunt out west then Randy Newberg has his Fresh Tracks youtube channel where he has videos (apart from his hunting ones) on how to draw tags, how to e-scout before a hunt when you don't live there, etc. He's sponsored by companies so I don't pay much attention to his gear choices but still it's not a bad resource for western stuff. Spot and stalk western hunting is an enormous amount of fun for me at least, coming from a background of mostly hunting eastern whitetails.

Serious comment, in case this is taken as sarcasm: take all the classes you want and watch all the videos too. But getting out during the offseason and walking the woods, learning the environment and learning to observe wildlife and yourself is going to be a critical component to hunting successfully. Hunting small game and predators with your gear and bow or rifle will teach a huge amount and allow you to work and adjust your kit and bow/rifle as necessary before season. Predators especially will teach you how much wind plays a part.

Reactions: Weasie
Serious comment, in case this is taken as sarcasm: take all the classes you want and watch all the videos too. But getting out during the offseason and walking the woods, learning the environment and learning to observe wildlife and yourself is going to be a critical component to hunting successfully. Hunting small game and predators with your gear and bow or rifle will teach a huge amount and allow you to work and adjust your kit and bow/rifle as necessary before season. Predators especially will teach you how much wind plays a part.
I follow you 100% on that. The class Im interested in specifically covers scouting, which Is where I think I need the most learning in.

I follow you 100% on that. The class Im interested in specifically covers scouting, which Is where I think I need the most learning in.
If it is from someone who knows their stuff, take it, cant hurt. Scouting and tracking are things a LOT of people are lacking in. And they are connected in relevant ways.