• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting/fishing with chest pack

Kayakfish1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Greensboro nc
How many here run a chest pack when out hunting/fishing/or any other general outdoorsy activities?
I've been looking to find a chest rig I can carry my crap in while hunting that could serve double duty while wading for trout or salmon.
I dont typically carry a lot so I hate to carry a full on backpack since the majority of my hunting is <.5 miles from the truck/atv (really just a small ifak, lrf, smallish fixed blade, protein bar and water.
I've seen the hill people gear packs and they look like what I'm wanting (zippers instead of any velcro pouches, not overly "tacticool") but I'd be open to any suggestions from anyone with hands on information.
Thanks!

I just bought a small cheap sling pack for extra fishing gear when taking my wife with me fishing for steelhead. Liking it so far even though I haven't gotten her to go yet. Basically got it to carry a hoodie and drinks/snacks for her. She doesn't like the cold...

Another vote for Alaskan Guide Creations. Several models to choose from. I run the KISS model

Crye JPC. Can often find used for much cheaper price. Not trying to look like an operator, but it distributes the weight much better than a standard chest rig. Also very low profile for getting in/out of vehicles, or if shooting from prone. I do quite a bit of night hunting and it's nice having my essentials on me.

I have a plate carrier but don’t really want to go that route, I think I’ll go with the hill people gear pack.
thanks for the help

I’ve used the Orvis pack for flats fishing for years. Sucker slings 45 across the chest and when I’m not digging crap out of it, I rotate it to my back.

84756486-0995-46A0-A393-F370D9C757BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like my Alaska Guide Creations binoculars chest rig. It has lots of little compartments for things. I carry my 10mm glock on my chest with waders on when I am fishing in rivers in bear country.

I bought one a few months ago. Holds a big pair of 56mm objective Minox binoculars and a laser range finder in the front pouch. You can throw 5 or so rounds in the ammo bandoleer in the LRF pouch. There are two other pockets, I put my keys in one, and my hunting license in the other. I put my wallet in the back pocket.

Love it!

I bought mine through Vortex, as they had a Christmas sale and I got it for 50% off. It is the same one made by AGC. I whole heartedly recommend it.

I got a Hill People Gear bag about a year ago, half thought it may be more gimmick than anything. It is my absolute go to for yard work (I’m talking logging, tractoring, welding, land clearing yard work)! It protects the gun, it keeps it accessible no mater what I’m wearing, where I’m standing/sitting, laying down, hanging from a tree. I carry a 629, a reloader strip, folding utility blade knife thing and my phone all day and they are there whenever I need them but I don’t notice them. Did I mention I don’t have to adjust any of that while I move from activity to activity? Wish I could EDC it to town.

I use an Eberlestock for binoculars and Kestrel hunting. I use a Hill People Gear for everything else particularly when I'm carrying a pistol....catfishing, knocking around the woods, checking the trap lines, etc. Son uses an AGC for binoculars. All 3 well made and useful.

I’ve only used the AGC so far, but it’s a quality made chest rig. I bought it in black Ovis and came with auto lock buckles. The hybrid design works for me to put windicator on one side and petzl eLite on the other. Also a plus is there is no magnets

I ended up with a hpg sar kit bag, very good quality and not to tacticool. Used it for a week up in upstate ny chasing salmon and had zero issues and ive been using it for deer hunting now. Heading for a population control hunt with ncwrc in a couple weeks which will involve a lot more hiking than my typical hunting does so hopefully the pack will be gtg with a climbing stand and hiking a few miles each way.

Attachments

• received_2910940439192608.jpeg
    received_2910940439192608.jpeg
    931.5 KB · Views: 89
I’ve been look on into a chest type bag the the hill people , best friend and hunting partner just bought a large farm in KY and we’ve access to the Daniel Boone national forest- don’t figure I’ll need my elk hunting rig for day trips but something light weight and easy for IFAK snacks pistol rain jacket, interesting thread thanks guys!

@knuckleballz, how are you carrying your glock 10mm with the AGC? Which model AGC? Which model glock?

I do a lot of high round count night hog hunting with thermal. HPG Kit Bag is awesome for keeping the gun fed, and holding batteries, phone, etc. Bino pouch on the front is pretty awesome for general hunting season.

I'm a big fan of the Hill People Gear chest packs. I have both sizes without the Molle ad in non tactical colors. I do not want to look tacticool on hiking trails etc etc. I hunt, fish, bike and hike with them on. I still carry a pack for most of that, but it's the best way I've found to keep things I want handy, handy. Like my phone... and extra fishing stuff. Highly recommend.