• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting in west PA

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
I'm going to be a new resident in Debois Pa starting next week and am looking forward to hunting and fishing up in that part of the country. Anyone with knowlage of the area, laws and the like would be wonderful.

Re: Hunting in west PA

start with the PA game commission website, you can get a PDF of the R&R, and a great forum for discussing all things hunting in PA can be found at www.huntingpa.com

I'm just north of pittsburgh and hunt all over the western half of the state. There's ample game lands owned by the PGC, but they get shot up pretty quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Work. Thats where they're sending me. </div></div>

You could be going to much worse places!

Welcome to PA, it's probably the closest thing to TX you'll get in the NE region... except we routinely get snow and our deer don't get racks anything like the TX bucks do.

I'm sitting in Philly airport right now waiting on flight to Allentown. We then drive to Westfield area. Pa has plenty of deer, at least up in that part of the state. The genetics in that area produce some very nice racks also.

But I'm hunting private land too. That makes a difference always

well, youl be about half an hour from the biggest gun shop in PA..... grices gun shop, clearfield pa

I live a spell in SW NY, and hunted NW PA occasionally...between Erie on the left and Cowanesque Lake on the right.

Two observations....the people in PA are some pretty strange characters, and the game laws are some of the most fucked up I've ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the game laws are some of the most fucked up I've ever seen. </div></div>

Yeah, no shit.

Assuming you mean DuBois, your talking about my hometown. As far as TROPHY hunting and fishing goes, our area leaves something to be desired. However, we have plenty of game and lots of public hunting grounds.

For whitetail, black bear, turkey, and small game, try a quick google search for S.B. Elliott State Park and Rockton Mountain. Thousands of acres of public hunting grounds can be found all around I80 and routes 153 and 322. I go to camps in both of these areas and have success every year. Other areas of interest will be Penfield near Parker Dam State Park (off of route 153), and the state game lands a few miles N-NW of DuBois, E of route 219 (could not find a reliable name on a map). All areas i speak of are within 25 miles of DuBois.

For trout fishing, you will want to search Anderson Creek in the Rockton area, Wolf Run (borders 219 N of DuBois), and the Sandy Lick Run which flows directly through DuBois.

For Bass, Walleye, or Panfish check out Treasure Lake, Bimini Lake, and Kyle Lake.

Some things to watch out for are antler restrictions, which require 3 or 4 points per side depending on the WMU (wildlife management unit) you're hunting in. Also, doe harvest is restricted by WMU as well. You will want to research the WMU boundaries before applying for doe tags.

If your looking to travel a little further, I HIGHLY suggest heading NE on 255 / 555 to the Sinnemahoning area where you'll find gamelands, prime fishing streams, elk, and the most beautiful country PA has to offer all along the way.

I might be younger than most in this crowd, but i've logged a mile or 2 in all of these areas. I hope this info helps you get out in the woods.

Welcome to DuBois.

BTW, what line of work brings you to the area? Ill venture a guess and say Marcellus drilling...