• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Angler

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
What are y’all’s favorite hunting knives?
Not for killin’ , but for skinnin’.
If you could take one blade to cut up a deer with out on the field, what would you bring?

The honest answer is boring, but the new exchangeable blade knives such as Havalon are hard to beat for anything deer sized and smaller. For bigger big game such as elk and moose i like to have something a bit tougher.
like this one by Bos knives

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpeg
    IMG_2437.jpeg
    599.1 KB · Views: 123
For the past few years I use an Esse Iszulla 2 for damned near everything. Poultry, deer, racoon, bunnies, pruning berry bushes and opening boxes. It’s small enough not to EDC without frightening the meek among us. Big enough for most jobs. Powder coated 1095. Nothing fancy. Just works.

Breaking down the meat for packaging requires different tools.

Still carrying around a Buck Pak-Lite medium and caper.

Considering a Havalon, just haven’t been ambitious enough to get it.

For the last two deer hunting seasons I have gralloched in the field using a Havalon Forge with a blunt tipped blade, model nr. 70A https://www.havalon.com/70a-stainless-steel-havalon

Before that I used a Mora Companion https://morakniv.se/en/knife-series/companion/

The parting and de-boning is done at home, using a selection of F.dick knives: https://www.dick.de/messer/en/cutting/butchers-knives/boning-knives

For the more social hunts, I carry a "pretty wooden handle knife in a beautiful leather sheet" on the belt, and while it does an ok job when the need arises, it is not used very often.

It really is hard to beat the exchangeable blades for field work. Saves the hassle of sharpening after you hit bone a couple times. I have been running the outdoor edge pro something or other. It has the gutting blade built in and uses the 3.5" exchangables. It has a little more heft to it and a handle that fits my hand better than the regular Havalon or smaller outdoor edge. I switched to the outdoor edge from havalon one, because I got it as a gift from a friend I took on his first elk hunt and two, I like that the blade has a little more substance than the Havalon scalpel blades. I save the blades and unless they are real knicked up you can resharpen them at home and get another use if you want.

I have a buck that Ive had since I was a kid and a nice benchmade with D-7 but neither go out much anymore. Its kind of sad, but its convenient.

Reactions: 220wyo
This a pic I pulled off the web. I've had one for about 50 years. My knife is a little different and holds an edge real well. The saw handle has a hollow spot for holding wooden matches or something. I had to rebuild the sheath a while back and added a little pocket for a smooth steel and a small whetstone.
To be honest, I have rarely used the saw. If you know where, feet can come off with a few slices from even a pocket knife. Same for the rib cage. I carry it because I consider it to be pretty damned good survival kit.
Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 18.51.09.png

Buck 103 skinner, the one with the wooden handle. I’ve disassembled many many animals with it since I bought it when I was 14…first knife I reach for.

Reactions: Zolar
Charlton Damascus and Randall Model 26 Pathfinder circa 2000.
From Rob Charlton:
This is an older Model V62 Gen'l Chuck Yeager" Hunter/Skinner' we've been doing for years.
It's in 500+ layer "Forged-to-shape" (NOT "stock removal") O-1/Mild carbon steel in a
"Birdseye Pattern" with Buffalo Horn scales & german silver guard with RH sheath.
For the past several years we have changed steel mix to 500 layer 1080/15n20 steel
we call "Tsunami" patten with stainless steel guard & various handle material.

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpeg
    IMG_4177.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4179.jpeg
    IMG_4179.jpeg
    836.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4964.jpeg
    IMG_4964.jpeg
    628.8 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Genin
These aren’t Gucci but they hold an edge well, sharpen easily and are great for butchering.
They’ve doubled in price in 5 years but still very reasonable.

Those Forschner/Victorinox boning knives are awesome. We use a lot of Forschner knives in the kitchen

Reactions: db2000
I’ve been using a mora for a few years. Easy to sharpen. Takes a great edge. Light weight. Cheap…

Reactions: smcfarland
This is what I carry in my hunting backpack. It is extremely light and the knives are super sharp.

But if I could only have one knife instead of a kit, it would be the Spyderco Bow knife. And I have the Spyderco sharpening system, as well. You can do surgery with this knife.

Yeah, I know, it's Amazon instead of some gucci storefront. Live it with it.

Reactions: lash
1698284284980.png

A kit very similar to this - mimics and saw are almost identical, except the sheath does not hold both - two separate sheaths . It was a Christmas gift from my mother to my father the first year they were dating . After I got my first deer my dad gave me the knife - years later I asked about the saw and he gave me that as well.
High carbon German steel , nice antler handle- sharp as fuck.

Side note ;my first deer was a buck- small little swamp 10 point in southern MI, shot it at first light . Dad told me to just sit tight - about 8:30 a much bigger bodied 4 point walked up the hill and boom - dad got his buck! Double header bucks on opening morning before 9am. In the top of my very best memories and prized possessions.

Last edited:
Aftermath- if you don’t mind me asking how did you come by your old German knife /saw combo?

About 10 days ago we skinning and quartering a bull elk. Buddy broke 3 havalon blades and we were trying to see where they ended up so someone didn't get hurt. I had my fixed blade and no issues. Been using White River Knives for many years. Buck knives before that. Have a few Argali Serac knives I keep for light weight trips. These days I prefer anything with S30V or S35V and they have treaded me well over many animals. Use a good sharpening system and the knives will stay sharp for a complete bull and even longer.

About 10 days ago we skinning and quartering a bull elk. Buddy broke 3 havalon blades and we were trying to see where they ended up so someone didn't get hurt. I had my fixed blade and no issues. Been using White River Knives for many years. Buck knives before that. Have a few Argali Serac knives I keep for light weight trips. These days I prefer anything with S30V or S35V and they have treaded me well over many animals. Use a good sharpening system and the knives will stay sharp for a complete bull and even longer.
That was my big concern about using those types of knives that use removable scalpel blades. Fixed blade is good any day.

I have 2 knives I always carry hunting. A small gerber vital that uses similar blades to the havalons. All the blades I have broken have been trying to push through hide or jointing and have been easily findable. The razor knives all have a similar weakness in that the blades are thin and won’t hold up to hard use. Use them for skinning and gutting. For heavier use I carry a Kershaw antelope hunter mainly because I like the shape and size. It’s just cheap Chinese steel (8cr13MoV or similar), but it holds enough of an edge for dealing with elk, and I have no issues resharpening it to shaving sharp. Other important reason I have it is the handle is orange so it doesn’t get lost when set in the grass in the dark.

I love these for skinning. It really makes for quick work and protects the hide.
I think Gerber makes it but now I can’t find it online anywhere so I just drew a crappy pic 🤣

IMG_0437.jpeg

One thing I noticed about butchering game. I hardly see anyone using a honing steel out in the field; most users go straight to the stone.
I’ve watched professionals go to a steel 3 or 4 times before finishing butchering a bull…

I’ve had a Cold Steel Master Hunter for well over 20 years now. Always does what I need it to do.

Also have a kit my BIL gave me, don’t remember the brand but it gets some use. It has a wide assortment of useful tools though

I do not mean to threadjack, but it skinning different than gutting/cleaning? Those who taught me are long gone and I'm learning again from scratch.

TY for the suggestions though while I lurk. Ironically (as mentioned in this thread) my original was a buck 110. I think I still have it, but some jerkoff bent/broke the tip when I loaned it.

I do not mean to threadjack, but it skinning different than gutting/cleaning? Those who taught me are long gone and I'm learning again from scratch.

TY for the suggestions though while I lurk. Ironically (as mentioned in this thread) my original was a buck 110. I think I still have it, but some jerkoff bent/broke the tip when I loaned it.
Well send it to Buck- I found a 110 while metal detecting after hunting season years back . I don’t think it was lost I think discarded because it wasn’t rusty but tip and lock broken. Buck fixed and sent it back to at no charge.

Who is so fucking lazy they can't sharpen their knives?
I have so many knives I've lost count. I like really little ones for skinning and capeing, and normal butchering knives for cutting up deer and elk.

You don't need to spend a bundle for good knives (although I have over and over). If you don't care about fit and finish, but just want what professional butchers use every day at work they're actually pretty cheap.

Currently us a North arm knives Lynx for larger jobs and the Bird and Trout for the smaller stuff. I carry both in my pack. I’ve broke down entire elk and deer with each of them. Never needed to sharpen in the field.

The newer steels are pretty nice.

Well, as far as I can tell, gutting is removing the guts without nicking the bowel or stoma. Skinning is taking off the hide carefully to avoid tearing and unnecessary cuts. Then, the hide can be used for clothing. And also having enough usable hide for a trophy, if that is desired.

Reactions: lash and RedTimber
I need start hunting some new things, to come up with some excuses. I'm already past "That's my muzzle loading knife' and "that's my turkey hunting knife"...

Reactions: Ronws
I just bought a stonewall skinner from Montana knife company that I really like also have customs from Alan Warren and Gary Little that are great knives.

Last edited:
I've got an Ontario RAT 3 that I've used on my last dozen or so deer.

Sharp, it'll gut and skin the entire carcass without giving you any issue or need to stop and resharpen. After the skin is off, I use other knives for butchering.

I then simply scrub and oil it, give it a good sharpening, and put it away for the next deer.

Worst I ever tried was an old Rapala fillet knife for skinning AND butchering (stupid idea). I must have had to resharpen that thing 5-6 times, and certainly F-ed the blade up permanently by taking a lot of little chunks out. That was on my first deer, and was a lesson learned for life.

I went deep into knives over the past few years, I bought a David Winston skinner and was amazed at how well it did on 2 deer, and then bought a Gene Ingram knife...then bought 3 more as I found a refined smaller blade that's well made is real capable (I skinned, quartered 5 deer before I hit the blade with a steel so it would pop hair again), then used it to process the same deer since it was so comfortable to hold. Since he has quite making knives, I just use the 1 and keep the others for something to pass down to my kids

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026-233845.png
    Screenshot_20231026-233845.png
    705.5 KB · Views: 47
Buck Special 6" fixed blade...the only knife I ever needed ...no saw. Skin & cut off elk heads, quarter up elk with it, for packing them out...also kept it handy for defense against large critters while packing out meat, as I would not pack a rifle, after packing the head out on the first trip, during the long mutiple meat packing trips.

I roll with an older BlackJack custom skinner in 52100 ball bearing steel.
Wicked sharp and holds the edge damn near forever.
Hated the original laminated wood handle so I made a new one of cocobolo.
The thing cost about 250-300 back in the 80's.....so I imagine if they still made them it would be about 1k now and that's scary to even think of replacing it.
Good thing it's tough as hell.
Maybe I'll edit this and post a pic or two....maybe not, dunno.

I just got into hunting last year, and bought a White River M1. Haven't used it on an animal yet, so how well it works I can't say. It does seem quality though.

I looked into the replaceable blade knives like the Havalon, but just heard too many reports of them breaking. I don't have any desire to deal with that.

Reactions: Ronws
No wimpy thin skinning knives, for me, had a Gerber Skinner blade break off first try when skinning a bull elk yrs ago, finished the job with the trusty Buck Special, no need for sharpening, during quartering, when ya start with a sharp knife. Who packs all that shit many miles in? Then you gotta pack it back out. I traveled light, ya may have to jog 10 miles in the snow, alone in a wilderness area. Called hunting, most shots will be close, you can smell them, 100 yds about max, most are much less, as the elk are tracked down, in the pole thickets, many snowy canyons in. This is 100% sucessful year after year, but really hard young man's work. Your knife has to be a dependable tool, your life may depend on it.
To see if the advertisement was real at the time about 1972 a hunting friend, at the shop took a hammer and pounded his new Buck knife blade through a steel bolt mounted in a vise, with surprisingly no harm to the blade... a rather humorous endeavor.

I just got into hunting last year, and bought a White River M1. Haven't used it on an animal yet, so how well it works I can't say. It does seem quality though.

I looked into the replaceable blade knives like the Havalon, but just heard too many reports of them breaking. I don't have any desire to deal with that.
Looks good, similar to my Spyderco except you have the finger curl. Anyway, I use the knife to trim meat in the kitchen and it works very well. I bet yours does, too. Try using it trim fat off of a pork loin or something.

Reactions: kthomas
I keep a replaceable blade knife in my kill bag as a backup. I just can't seem to let myself throw it away. I really dislike it. Blades do not secure 100% and looking for a razor in the gut pile gets old really f'n fast.

I always keep a folder in my pocket and a fixed blade as a backup in my pack.
This year I picked up a benchmade tagged out and it served well on two deer. I either keep a half faced blades or Randall in my bag.

Reactions: kthomas
This a pic I pulled off the web. I've had one for about 50 years. My knife is a little different and holds an edge real well. The saw handle has a hollow spot for holding wooden matches or something. I had to rebuild the sheath a while back and added a little pocket for a smooth steel and a small whetstone.
To be honest, I have rarely used the saw. If you know where, feet can come off with a few slices from even a pocket knife. Same for the rib cage. I carry it because I consider it to be pretty damned good survival kit.
View attachment 8256613

I found a knife like that when I was a kid. Remember the handle being really loose and not knowing how to fix it. (Think late 60's early 70's.) No internet back then. Haven't seen it in years.