• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/Mid-Range Shooting Scope under $1500

Savageman2506

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2023
Arizona
Hello everyone.

I'd like to get some input on a few scope options.

• What is the platform for the scope? Zermatt Origin action, 24" barrel (Concept, rifle isn't built yet)
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .308 Winchester
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting and Mid-Range Target shooting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Low-light/poor conditions hunting possible, favorable conditions for Target Shooting
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 500 yards and less for Hunting, ~1000 and less yards for target shooting
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Undecided about SFP/FFP, I want a 30mm/34mm tube, MOA adjustments. At least 15x magnification at top end. Needs to be durable and reliable for hunting situations, and not susceptible to moisture.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Under $1500
I mostly hunt, and will be using it primarily for large game and predator hunting occasionally. But I'd like the ability to reach out and ring steel or crack rocks/targets at 1000 yards.

I'm a broke college student, so a $1500 expense is a very weighty decision for me, but it's something I think is achievable if I pinch pennies and sell a couple of my bottom tier guns.

I'll add the optics I'm currently considering and if I need to edit later, I can.

Burris XTR III Illuminated 3.3-18x50mm

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X56 CDS-ZL2 Side Focus Illum. Firedot Duplex

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21X50 DMR3 Riflescope G4P Reticle

Nightforce SHV 4-14x56mm Digillum MOAR Matte Black

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm Digillum MOAR Matte Black

I'm not crazy about Vortex, Athlon, or other scope brands, but I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about mid-tier optics. My most expensive optic currently is about $400, so maybe those other brands are better value for the money at higher price points.

I don't necessarily believe MORE zoom is better, but feel undergunned with a 3-9 or even a 4-12 scope, so I'm hoping for at least 15x magnification. I also prefer to have a lower power for the minimum magnification because of the chance of jumping/spooking big game inside 100 yards and the need for offhand shooting in those situations. So FOV at low magnification is somewhat important as well.

I'm sure there's been 1 million+ threads on this topic, so thanks for taking time to read this one too.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Meopta Optika6 offerings. There are several that would fit your criteria. I have the 3-18x50 and it's as good, if not better, than another scope I own that's 2X the cost. The glass is exceptional and I love the reticle.

Not sure why you don't like Athlon, they make a number of scopes that are excellent. Their Cronus line is made in Japan. I have the 2-12 which is a bonafide hunting scope. Not good for groups at 100 yards due to the dot size but otherwise a fantastic scope, especially at its price point.

Burris XTRIII would likely fit your needs. Get the FFP illuminated for hunting.

$1150 in cart

It’s 34mm tube. This one is MILs but MOA should be available as well

Here’s the 5.5-30 in illuminated MOA for $1350

Last edited:
Burris XTRIII would likely fit your needs. Get the FFP illuminated for hunting.

$1150 in cart

It’s 34mm tube. This one is MILs but MOA should be available as well

Here’s the 5.5-30 in illuminated MOA for $1350

34 mm tube works too, I'll fix that.

Is the 30x magnification necessary for shots within 1000 yards? I've heard more magnification often increases distortion and haze making shooting at a lower power more effective.

34 mm tube works too, I'll fix that.

Is the 30x magnification necessary for shots within 1000 yards? I've heard more magnification often increases distortion and haze making shooting at a lower power more effective.
If you don’t mind the added size and weight then I think it’s a good option.

What I would ask is what’s more important? 3.3 vs 5.5 on the low end (keeping in mind low light often is harder to see in with more magnification) or 18 vs 30 on the top end.

You can always use less than 30, but you can’t go higher than 18 if you don’t have it. Likewise for the lower end

For a hunting scope I’d prefer more compact. And 18 power is plenty to shoot 1k.

I did however find myself wishing I had more magnification for IDing deer at 500+ yards with my 4-16 atacr on my AIAT. That was for crop damage where your targeting doe only. So your hunting style will determine what you really need.

I’d set up a spotting scope but with the deer moving around, especially if you shot, keeping track of a spike mixed in with 10+ doe would become impossible with just the rifle scope. So I’d have a spotter or I’d be back and forth on the spotting scope to confirm ID on deer

Reactions: Savageman2506
If you don’t mind the added size and weight then I think it’s a good option.

What I would ask is what’s more important? 3.3 vs 5.5 on the low end (keeping in mind low light often is harder to see in with more magnification) or 18 vs 30 on the top end.

You can always use less than 30, but you can’t go higher than 18 if you don’t have it. Likewise for the lower end

For a hunting scope I’d prefer more compact. And 18 power is plenty to shoot 1k.

I did however find myself wishing I had more magnification for IDing deer at 500+ yards with my 4-16 atacr on my AIAT. That was for crop damage where your targeting doe only. So your hunting style will determine what you really need.

I’d set up a spotting scope but with the deer moving around, especially if you shot, keeping track of a spike mixed in with 10+ doe would become impossible with just the rifle scope. So I’d have a spotter or I’d be back and forth on the spotting scope to confirm ID on deer
usually I'm with at least one other hunter if I'm rifle hunting, so someone can spot/keep track, and I hunt bucks only for deer (no doe harvest in my state) although elk can be either sex depending on the tag. Elk are fairly easy to distinguish because of their size, but deer are too difficult. I failed to harvest a deer this past year because of low light conditions and being unable to determine which was a spike and which was the doe.

In regards to weight, I'd like a lighter scope, but I'm willing to sacrifice if it means a better overall option. My rifle isn't exactly a "back-country" light rifle anyways, projected weight is 8.5 lbs or so, so adding another 6 ounces is survivable.

Take a look at the Meopta Optika6 offerings. There are several that would fit your criteria. I have the 3-18x50 and it's as good, if not better, than another scope I own that's 2X the cost. The glass is exceptional and I love the reticle.

Not sure why you don't like Athlon, they make a number of scopes that are excellent. Their Cronus line is made in Japan. I have the 2-12 which is a bonafide hunting scope. Not good for groups at 100 yards due to the dot size but otherwise a fantastic scope, especially at its price point.
I'll look at Meopta. They weren't even on my radar.

I have heard some horror stories with Athlon for Customer Service, but they're just anecdotes from friends of friends, etc. so I don't have any actual firsthand knowledge of them.

Another vote for the Meopta.

For a hunting scope, I prefer SFP and no more than 3x on the bottom end. My woods are fairly thick and my average shot is about 50 yards.

AZ has varied terrain. If you'll be hunting in the foothills where you'll regularly be shooting 300+ yards, you might want FFP and something higher than 3x would be fine.

You listed the same criteria as me last year for my 308.

I selected the EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x44. 34mm tube. They have FFP and SFP, Moa and Mil versions.

You can find them used for $1,100 - $1,200 range.

Be sure to keep the thread updated and post pics when you get it all set up.

Hope this helps.

Another vote for the Meopta.

For a hunting scope, I prefer SFP and no more than 3x on the bottom end. My woods are fairly thick and my average shot is about 50 yards.

AZ has varied terrain. If you'll be hunting in the foothills where you'll regularly be shooting 300+ yards, you might want FFP and something higher than 3x would be fine.
yeah, 300 yard shots are common, if not standard. But, there's also thick wooded areas where 50 yards and under can occur. That's why I want a scope that has a lower power, large FOV on the small end.

You listed the same criteria as me last year for my 308.

I selected the EOTech Vudu 3.5-18x44. 34mm tube. They have FFP and SFP, Moa and Mil versions.

You can find them used for $1,100 - $1,200 range.

Be sure to keep the thread updated and post pics when you get it all set up.

Hope this helps.
Another that wasn't on my radar. How does anyone choose with this many options? Lol.

The build is probably a long ways away, I'm scraping together money for the action now, but I'll post it one day, lol.

Vortex LHT 3-15. Is take it over any of those choices for that application.
Why do you consider this scope better than the others? In the past I wasn't thrilled by Vortex's glass on the lower quality optics, my uncle and friends both have a few.

My friend built an Origin and got a used Viper PST 2 for $800 and it seems okay, but for another $200 or so the Leupolds or Nightforce SHV's looked better to me personally. I have no experience with the LHT's.

Why do you consider this scope better than the others? In the past I wasn't thrilled by Vortex's glass on the lower quality optics, my uncle and friends both have a few.

My friend built an Origin and got a used Viper PST 2 for $800 and it seems okay, but for another $200 or so the Leupolds or Nightforce SHV's looked better to me personally. I have no experience with the LHT's.

You can’t compare their low end Chinese shit or even their Phillipino lines to the Japanese Razors. Razors are very good scopes and I’d take one over any of your choices.

You can’t compare their low end Chinese shit or even their Phillipino lines to the Japanese Razors. Razors are very good scopes and I’d take one over any of your choices.
okay, but why? Crisper edge-to-edge clarity? Better focus? Better FOV? More positive turret clicks?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I just want to know what makes Vortex better, other than their warranty, which most manufacturers have anyways.

yeah, 300 yard shots are common, if not standard. But, there's also thick wooded areas where 50 yards and under can occur. That's why I want a scope that has a lower power, large FOV on the small end.
The 3-18 Optika6 would serve you well, FFP or SFP, 50 or 56mm obj. They have a 4.5-27 too, but that's more than I'd want on the low end.

I just noticed Meopta has a 15% off sale for their C4 reticle scopes as well, which is the one I was interested in. That's very tempting

Brownellls has an MPO (i think) that is Japanese Made at about $1K. at $1500 you may be able to swing a used Razor (and yeah they are worth it).
Give the guys at CameralandNY a call--they usually have specials, deals, and generally can hook a guy up with what you describe.

Razor Glass is much cleaner and crisper. I am not a scope junkie, but when I got one, I was like "**********" Now I get it

Holy crap the MPO is on sale for $700.

okay, but why? Crisper edge-to-edge clarity? Better focus? Better FOV? More positive turret clicks?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I just want to know what makes Vortex better, other than their warranty, which most manufacturers have anyways.
The Razor line is a mess IMO.

-The Gen 2 and Gen 3 Razors are far to heavy for what you want.
-The LHT 4.5-22 is almost perfect but the low end FOV isn't that good for close work, the LHT 3-15 would be a good option but it's SFP only.
-The AMG is fairly lightweight and good glass but again the low end FOV isn't very good.

Id gladly take a Phillipine made PST G2 or a XTR3i over the above Razor options for a hunting/crossover rifle.
The 3-15x44 PST is actually a pretty nice scope, lightish weigh, good FOV, and not too big.
Biggest issue is the exposed windage, but you can wrap that in insulation tape.

The 3.3-18 XTR3i is probably the better option, there are mix views on the reticle thickness for hunting use but its probably your best choice.

I have hunting scopes and i have target scopes. I am not a fan of trying to get a target reticle to work for hunting. I have a 3.3-18 and a 5.5-30 Burris XTR3, and i don't care for them in a hunting environment. Mine aren't illuminated, but i don't care for illumination, it messes with my eyes (astigmatism)
For Hunting in low light the Burris Veracity E1FFP is a MUCH better choice. The problem is that you only have one turn of the elevation knob once the zero stop is set (under 24 MOA) so you won't get to 1000 yards with a .308.... BUT i heard Burris is now out with the Veracity PH that has some built in electronics and a 36moa elevation turret. That might be going on my elk rifle, but i don't know if i like the reticle as much as the E1ffp.

That said i do have a 3-15x50 Burris XTR2 on my 28 nosler mountain rifle, but it has a very thick G2B reticle... so it works pretty good, and i shoot to 1100 on steel with it a lot. But they have discontinued that reticle because the trend is thin.

I know i didn't really help you with your main questions, but you can take my advice or not. (BTW i have 3 bighorn actions, a TL3, Origin, and a proof research Elevation that uses an Origin, and i really like them a LOT)

Last edited:

You probably would be just as unhappy with a lower quality Burris/Bushnell/Leupold, but that isn’t stopping you from considering their higher end lines…

Had an XTR 3i and SHV 4-14 pass through my hands/rifles and both get sold. Wasn't wild on the XTR's reticle or the SHV's eye box. My requirements were very similar to yours.

Had a VX5HD too. Found the reticle overly limiting as a crossover. My dad liked and snagged it. Fits his needs for a hunting 308, and that's all it does, but it does it well.

In that price and mag range, I'd offer:

My Tract 4-20 has been a really fun scope. Great reticle and locking turrets. Like a modern TARS body with an MR4-ish reticle. Sits on a 6mm for me with 2 seasonal zeros. A 100 TGK for deer and 115 DTAC for steel to 1200. Does crossover very well.

Everything I own from Maven has been excellent, and hunting / hunting-crossover is their game. While my 5-30 jumps out of the price bracket, they have offerings within it. Shocking clarity for what you pay and toolless. I use mine on a 6.5-284 for hunting at distances you'll be on targets, without issue.

My only remaining SFP optic is a Leica 2.5-15. I love it...though I'm undecided if its for everyone or just my own needs. I do know they can be had these days for blowout prices. Mine's on a light 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting pigs, but I have every confidence it could plink steel beyond 1k.

You probably would be just as unhappy with a lower quality Burris/Bushnell/Leupold, but that isn’t stopping you from considering their higher end lines…
I have firsthand experience with the Leupold VX5HD and I'm pretty happy with it for the price point, just wait for a sale... I don't have experience with the higher end Vortex, but I'm not as impressed with their lower end as I am with the leupolds.... That's why I said that.

Don't need to be hostile, I already admitted I was ignorant about higher end options, and it was a general question...

Razor LHT 4.5-22

Brownellls has an MPO (i think) that is Japanese Made at about $1K. at $1500 you may be able to swing a used Razor (and yeah they are worth it).
Give the guys at CameralandNY a call--they usually have specials, deals, and generally can hook a guy up with what you describe.

Razor Glass is much cleaner and crisper. I am not a scope junkie, but when I got one, I was like "**********" Now I get it

Holy crap the MPO is on sale for $700.

Like @beetroot said, I'm not sure the LHT is right for my gun, although I'll have to consider it. It just seems heavy and 4.5 seems like a fairly high starting power for my needs, considering close shots are possible.

The Zeiss and NF @FuhQ suggested look good, but 5 and 6x low end mag. is definitely too much. Those would be good target or prairie dog shooting scopes though.

I have hunting scopes and i have target scopes. I am not a fan of trying to get a target reticle to work for hunting. I have a 3.3-18 and a 5.5-30 Burris XTR3, and i don't care for them in a hunting environment. Mine aren't illuminated, but i don't care for illumination, it messes with my eyes (astigmatism)
For Hunting in low light the Burris Veracity E1FFP is a MUCH better choice. The problem is that you only have one turn of the elevation knob once the zero stop is set (under 24 MOA) so you won't get to 1000 yards with a .308.... BUT i heard Burris is now out with the Veracity PH that has some built in electronics and a 36moa elevation turret. That might be going on my elk rifle, but i don't know if i like the reticle as much as the E1ffp.

That said i do have a 3-15x50 Burris XTR2 on my 28 nosler mountain rifle, but it has a very thick G2B reticle... so it works pretty good, and i shoot to 1100 on steel with it a lot. But they have discontinued that reticle because the trend is thin.

I know i didn't really help you with your main questions, but you can take my advice or not. (BTW i have 3 bighorn actions, a TL3, Origin, and a proof research Elevation that uses an Origin, and i really like them a LOT)

Had an XTR 3i and SHV 4-14 pass through my hands/rifles and both get sold. Wasn't wild on the XTR's reticle or the SHV's eye box. My requirements were very similar to yours.

Had a VX5HD too. Found the reticle overly limiting as a crossover. My dad liked and snagged it. Fits his needs for a hunting 308, and that's all it does, but it does it well.

My Tract 4-20 has been a really fun scope. Great reticle and locking turrets. Like a modern TARS body with an MR4-ish reticle. Sits on a 6mm for me with 2 seasonal zeros. A 100 TGK for deer and 115 DTAC for steel to 1200. Does crossover very well.

Everything I own from Maven has been excellent, and hunting / hunting-crossover is their game. While my 5-30 jumps out of the price bracket, they have offerings within it. Shocking clarity for what you pay and toolless. I use mine on a 6.5-284 for hunting at distances you'll be on targets, without issue.

My only remaining SFP optic is a Leica 2.5-15. I love it...though I'm undecided if its for everyone or just my own needs. I do know they can be had these days for blowout prices. Mine's on a light 6.5 Creedmoor for shooting pigs, but I have every confidence it could plink steel beyond 1k.

Thank you for the input. The Tract scopes seem impressive for the price point. I'll have to compare specs to some of the other options.

@want2ride did you have the same issues with the XTR3 reticle being too coarse for hunting, or was it just too busy?

Also, the Veracity PH is not legal for hunting use in Arizona, because it's an electronic/calculating scope.

I have firsthand experience with the Leupold VX5HD and I'm pretty happy with it for the price point, just wait for a sale... I don't have experience with the higher end Vortex, but I'm not as impressed with their lower end as I am with the leupolds.... That's why I said that.

Don't need to be hostile, I already admitted I was ignorant about higher end options, and it was a general question...
The VX5/VX6 are pretty great for the price, I just wish they had a decent reticle for cross over use (and more mil options).

If you are happy with SFP and plain duplex then a firedot VX5hd is pretty hard to beat, although the LHT 3-15 should also be considered.

Trijicon actually do quite a few options that guys in RokSlide seem to like a lot, could be worth looking into if you are happy with SFP.

The VX5/VX6 are pretty great for the price, I just wish they had a decent reticle for cross over use (and more mil options).

If you are happy with SFP and plain duplex then a firedot VX5hd is pretty hard to beat, although the LHT 3-15 should also be considered.

Trijicon actually do quite a few options that guys in RokSlide seem to like a lot, could be worth looking into if you are happy with SFP.
I like the Leupolds okay, I was shooting my buddies Sig Cross at 500 yards with the VX5HD Firedot pretty easily, but it doesn't have enough MOA adjustment to reach 1000 yards.

I have snagged my last couple of Mk5 3.6-18 with the T3 reticle on here used for $1300 and $1400. They make wind calls at distance super easy.

The glass is great and they have the best turrets in that range. I like them much better than the S&B PMII turrets.

We use them regularly for night shooting and they do very well under low light conditions and with clip ons.

Also lightest weight in their class.

Ah, I forgot about this one, and I have a 3-18 that may find it's way to the PX soon. And yep, there are a couple models under $1k. Great glass, excellent in low light!

I was a Trijicon fan long before I discovered Rokslide, and the 2.5-10 Credo on clearance for a little over $500 is tough to beat. I have one behind my C35 and like it a lot.

Hello everyone.

I'd like to get some input on a few scope options.

• What is the platform for the scope? Zermatt Origin action, 24" barrel (Concept, rifle isn't built yet)
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .308 Winchester
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting and Mid-Range Target shooting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Low-light/poor conditions hunting possible, favorable conditions for Target Shooting
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 500 yards and less for Hunting, ~1000 and less yards for target shooting
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Undecided about SFP/FFP, I want a 30mm/34mm tube, MOA adjustments. At least 15x magnification at top end. Needs to be durable and reliable for hunting situations, and not susceptible to moisture.
  • What is the price range you can afford? Under $1500
I mostly hunt, and will be using it primarily for large game and predator hunting occasionally. But I'd like the ability to reach out and ring steel or crack rocks/targets at 1000 yards.

I'm a broke college student, so a $1500 expense is a very weighty decision for me, but it's something I think is achievable if I pinch pennies and sell a couple of my bottom tier guns.

I'll add the optics I'm currently considering and if I need to edit later, I can.

Burris XTR III Illuminated 3.3-18x50mm

Leupold VX-5HD 3-15X56 CDS-ZL2 Side Focus Illum. Firedot Duplex

Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21X50 DMR3 Riflescope G4P Reticle

Nightforce SHV 4-14x56mm Digillum MOAR Matte Black

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm Digillum MOAR Matte Black

I'm not crazy about Vortex, Athlon, or other scope brands, but I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant about mid-tier optics. My most expensive optic currently is about $400, so maybe those other brands are better value for the money at higher price points.

I don't necessarily believe MORE zoom is better, but feel undergunned with a 3-9 or even a 4-12 scope, so I'm hoping for at least 15x magnification. I also prefer to have a lower power for the minimum magnification because of the chance of jumping/spooking big game inside 100 yards and the need for offhand shooting in those situations. So FOV at low magnification is somewhat important as well.

I'm sure there's been 1 million+ threads on this topic, so thanks for taking time to read this one too.
While the DMR III is an outstanding scope, the reticle is too Fine for low light hunting and not illuminated either. It is also much heavier than I would want on a hunting rifle.

I recommend you wait patiently for a pre-owned Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHS, LRHSi, LRHS2 or an LRTSi to become available. Wouldn’t go with the non-illuminated LRTS, as the reticle is too fine on the non illuminated version. They are great crossover scopes and like everything in the Elite Tactical series are rugged, dependable, track precisely and retain zero. They come up fairly often in the $900 range.

Another I would consider is the Tract Toric 2.5-15. Did a review on one and it performed very well.

John

So, let me add my 2 cents. Be advised that I am a 308 guy. I have 4 rifles in .308. A few moe rifles after that in other calibers.

If you are looking to hunt at mid range of 500 and longer distance target (we all know you are going after elk on the next hilltop, wink, wink,) you might choose another caliber since you have not yet built the rifle. For longer distances I would suggest .300 WM, .300 PRC, even the new 7 mm PRC. 7 mm Rem Mag, if you are worried bought ammo availability.

The reason I would suggest the magnum cartridges is for practical shots. My favorite source on shooting was a sniper in the Rangers and he preferred .300 Win Mag because it held well in the wind the sand box. He would dial elevation for distance and then hold right or left edge of target zone into the wind and get a hit. This can also work for hunting. That being said, it could inform you scope choices. So, choose one with good glass, simple reticle, lighter weight, even a capped windage turret.

Full disclosure, I am also a fan of Vortex optics and extremely lucky. I have had only good experiences with their products.

But I also like Arken. And they do have a hunter scope. The EP4 4-16X44. Illuminated reticle, lighter weight, easy to use turrets, zero stop. One caveat. You will need some vibra-tite for the allen head set screws. They will back out on you.

OTOH, many is the deer and elk that fell to a Leupold. So many options that could fall inside of your budget.

Long story short, choose glass quality over whiz-bang features, regardless of cost.

Last edited:
So, let me add my 2 cents. Be advised that I am a 308 guy. I have 4 rifles in .308. A few moe rifles after that in other calibers.

If you are looking to hunt at mid range of 500 and longer distance target (we all know you are going after elk on the next hilltop, wink, wink,) you might choose another caliber since you have not yet built the rifle. For longer distances I would suggest .300 WM, .300 PRC, even the new 7 mm PRC. 7 mm Rem Mag, if you are worried bought ammo availability.

The reason I would suggest the magnum cartridges is for practical shots. My favorite source on shooting was a sniper in the Rangers and he preferred .300 Win Mag because it held well in the wind the sand box. He would dial elevation for distance and then hold right or left edge of target zone into the wind and get a hit. This can also work for hunting. That being said, it could inform you scope choices. So, choose one with good glass, simple reticle, lighter weight, even a capped windage turret.

Full disclosure, I am also a fan of Vortex optics and extremely lucky. I have had only good experiences with their products.

But I also like Arken. And they do have a hunter scope. The EP4 4-16X44. Illuminated reticle, lighter weight, easy to use turrets, zero stop. One caveat. You will need some vibra-tite for the allen head set screws. They will back out on you.

OTOH, many is the deer and elk that fell to a Leupold. So many options that could fall inside of your budget.

Long story short, choose glass quality over whiz-bang features, regardless of cost.
I've got a .300 weatherby I was also considering for elk, and may put glass on that eventually as well, but the thing is already like 10 lbs to begin with. It shoots pretty well though. I wanted to build a .308 because its a good intermediate "all-around" caliber, and for deer hunting it won't knock the piss out of me as much as the .300, which is overkill for deer in my opinion. But thanks for the info

Reactions: Ronws
I've got a .300 weatherby I was also considering for elk, and may put glass on that eventually as well, but the thing is already like 10 lbs to begin with. It shoots pretty well though. I wanted to build a .308 because its a good intermediate "all-around" caliber, and for deer hunting it won't knock the piss out of me as much as the .300, which is overkill for deer in my opinion. But thanks for the info
If you haven't built the rifle yet, i'd take a good long look at the 7mm-08 Rem. It's a phenomenal deer cartridge, and if you reload, you have TONS of good 7mm bullet options to choose from. Also, modern 7mm bullets have excellent BC's so you can really reach out there with it, too. I have a couple of 7mm-08's, and my first bolt-action deer rifle was an old (it was new back then) 90's Ruger All-Weather Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 with a 20" pencil barrel. It's slayed many a deer. I bought a new 7mm-08 late last year for a more modern deer rifle, and it's a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 20" 7mm-08. It has the 1:9 twist, so I'm shooting Berger 175 Elite Hunters out of it, with amazing results. Also, my MV's aren't bad (2,400 FPS), but I just bought an 8 lb'er of that new Winchester StaBall 6.5 powder, so hopefully I can get over 2,500 FPS with it safely. But even at 2,400 FPS, my rifle and load holds enough velocity and energy to take whitetail sized game at 1,000 yards.

IMG_5790.jpeg

I have two meoptas, one is a optika 6 3-18 50mm FFP and the second is a optika 5 4-20 50mm SFP. The glass is superb and the reticles are very fine on both of them. They are excellent scopes for the price and I will continue to buy them. If you go FFP you will have to be on 6-8x power to see the reticle though. I also have a leupold vx5 which is an awesome scope.

I have two meoptas, one is a optika 6 3-18 50mm FFP and the second is a optika 5 4-20 50mm SFP. The glass is superb and the reticles are very fine on both of them. They are excellent scopes for the price and I will continue to buy them. If you go FFP you will have to be on 6-8x power to see the reticle though. I also have a leupold vx5 which is an awesome scope.
which do you prefer between the two? Leupold or Meopta?

If you haven't built the rifle yet, i'd take a good long look at the 7mm-08 Rem. It's a phenomenal deer cartridge, and if you reload, you have TONS of good 7mm bullet options to choose from. Also, modern 7mm bullets have excellent BC's so you can really reach out there with it, too. I have a couple of 7mm-08's, and my first bolt-action deer rifle was an old (it was new back then) 90's Ruger All-Weather Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 with a 20" pencil barrel. It's slayed many a deer. I bought a new 7mm-08 late last year for a more modern deer rifle, and it's a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 20" 7mm-08. It has the 1:9 twist, so I'm shooting Berger 175 Elite Hunters out of it, with amazing results. Also, my MV's aren't bad (2,400 FPS), but I just bought an 8 lb'er of that new Winchester StaBall 6.5 powder, so hopefully I can get over 2,500 FPS with it safely. But even at 2,400 FPS, my rifle and load holds enough velocity and energy to take whitetail sized game at 1,000 yards.

View attachment 8117050
I do have reloading equipment, that's not a bad suggestion.

Reactions: FuhQ
which do you prefer between the two? Leupold or Meopta?
For the price I definitely prefer meopta, you get a lot more bang for your buck. They have been making glass for roughly a 100 years. But on the flip side leupold has an awesome warranty, the cds option and you have way better resale value. I prefer leupold but when it comes to budget its definitely meopta. I just don't like the fact that leupold charges 2-500 dollars more for different reticles in the vx-5's.

For the price I definitely prefer meopta, you get a lot more bang for your buck. They have been making glass for roughly a 100 years. But on the flip side leupold has an awesome warranty, the cds option and you have way better resale value. I prefer leupold but when it comes to budget its definitely meopta. I just don't like the fact that leupold charges 2-500 dollars more for different reticles in the vx-5's.
And Leupold only does fudd reticles, other than the HTMR thing which they don't illuminate or do a Firedot version like they did in the VXR/VX Patrol (Firedot TMR, Firedot Tri MOA FireDot Windplex etc).

Just Leupold doing Leupold things

Reactions: FuhQ
And Leupold only does fudd reticles, other than the HTMR thing which they don't illuminate or do a Firedot version like they did in the VXR/VX Patrol (Firedot TMR, Firedot Tri MOA FireDot Windplex etc).

Just Leupold doing Leupold things
Lol. They're good hunting reticles, but I agree that they're lack-luster for target shooting

Thank you for the input. The Tract scopes seem impressive for the price point. I'll have to compare specs to some of the other options.

@want2ride did you have the same issues with the XTR3 reticle being too coarse for hunting, or was it just too busy?

Also, the Veracity PH is not legal for hunting use in Arizona, because it's an electronic/calculating scope.
The reticle is too thin on the XTR3 (and most target reticles) for hunting, not too thick.

I do have reloading equipment, that's not a bad suggestion.
I have a few .308's and 7mm-08's. Taken plenty of deer with both. Both work excellent with the right bullet for the job, with the right shot placement.

That said, my personal opinion having used both, is that the .308 Win makes a better target/tactical cartridge. And for hunting, with modern 7mm bullets, the 7mm-08 has the advantage. Modern 7mm bullets are much sleeker and have higher BC's in the same weight category as the .30 caliber bullets. And the 7mm-08 shoots a just a tad flatter. So, the 7mm-08 gets my nod for hunting, over the .308 Win.

If you're wanting speed & energy, get some Hornady 150 ELD-X for the 7mm-08 and those will be devastating on deer. But if you want some awesome hunting/target loads for the 7mm-08 that will allow long range, the Berger 175 Elite Hunters are perfect. My Ridgeline FFT is putting 3 into a 1/4" group at 100 yards.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-16 17:10:28.998749.jpg