• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Hunting over dead pile

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
When starting a new dead pile (dead hogs), how often does it typically take for coyotes to start hitting it?
They're all over the area, we're just trying to concentrate them to shoot w/ thermal.

They‘ll probably be on the dead pigs the first night. Problem Ive had with baiting coyotes is it’s difficult to sneak up on them without being detected. I’d think setting up your pile where you can approach from an elevated position or from cover down wind would be best.

Last edited:
Reactions: NukeMan and Anb618
They‘ll probably be on the dead pigs the first night. Problem Ive had with baiting coyotes is it’s difficult to sneak up on them without being detected. I’d think setting up your pile where you can approach from an elevated position down wind would be best.

We do this with deceased dairy calves whenever my buddy ends up with one that didn’t make it through birth. They’re always on the carcass overnight as soon as it’s dropped off.

Piling them up in a pasture at 50-100 yards and doing slow drive buys with a blacked Vehicle works well. Any white light will spook them.

We have the issue of coyotes dragging off pigs to the tree line. Debating using bailing wire to run around there about and hooking it up to a T-Post. If we shoot any volume of pigs, there are always at least one missing the next day.

Reactions: Charlie112
Cold weather will get hits sooner. If Buzzards get on them they will be little utilized by coyotes. Not a factor in cold weather.
Driving a T post through the bait will keep it in place. I don't seem to have issues with spooking coyotes at night. 100-150 yards is a good distance if you have a quiet, concealed path of approach. I try to set up for two different wind conditions.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
I don’t but others might. I don’t want to attract attention to my position or create confusion. YMMV

Reactions: WoobieJ
I stake down dead hogs. I mostly hunt over dead cows though. Keep your pile about 100yds out from where you plan to set up. I typically make sure to keep it out in the open fields about 50 yds from a treeline.