• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing hunting pack

chucknelson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2007
Alberta
What do you guys think if this pack as a general purpose hunting pack?

longbowpack.jpg

00small21122316.jpg

00small10006544.jpg

00small62199661.jpg

00small49773616.jpg

Re: hunting pack

looks sharp.
cool.gif

any type of hydration compartment ?

how many Cubic inch pack is it ?

lots of accessory places, good compression system and hip/shoulder straps look comfortable and easy to adjust.

looks like a good 3 - 4 day setup
grin.gif

Did I win one ?? If so, PM me for my address. I'll put it thru the gauntlet and let you know how it does... LOL

I beleive its their Assault pack which is around 2000ci and weighs in the neighborhood of 5 and half pounds but they have been known to stretch their advertised weight. Too heavy for the volume for me. That is the main complaint with Dana designs, full frame system on small volume high speed speed packs.

It is not the Mystery Ranch 3 day assault but their new "Longbow". It is used with the NICE frame. With the frame it is 6lbs 9oz's and has an internal capacity if 2200 cu in. I like the design and concept enough that I've got one on the way. The attraction is the design and ability to add 70+ lbs of boned out meat between the pack and frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what benefits over a Just 104 or similar from Eberlestock ?
confused.gif
</div></div>

I've used the J105 quite a bit, but IMO it is best served as a daypack, and then it's plenty big. Beyond carrying 40lbs it isn't very comfortable.
P1060029.jpg

does anyone like the X2 pack by eberlestock? if so how is it and what is the + or - and can i use it to pack ing a base camp then as a daypacker with a rifle holder.

the X2 eberlestock is a fine pack, albeit a bit small and no scabbard.

It can hold 100 pounds of gear although i dont know where you would fit it unlees it were mostly ammo.

I prefer the gunslinger, the scabbard can be folded when carrying your rifle, and it is 2900 cu.

If you pack light, you can get 3 to 4 days of gear in one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think if this pack as a general purpose hunting pack?

longbowpack.jpg

00small21122316.jpg

00small10006544.jpg

00small62199661.jpg

00small49773616.jpg

</div></div>

Chuck,

Thank you for this excellent posting. A little research enlightened me as to how significant the design features are on a Mystery Ranch pack. Looks like I'll be talking to them when I'm able to upgrade my current system!

grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so what benefits over a Just 104 or similar from Eberlestock ? confused</div></div>

The 104 is junk compared to the MR. No comparison except night and day.

You'll be able to carry heavy loads with far greater comfort with the MR.

I found out the hard way. the 104 does not carry weight well and is to big for a day pack.

Just FYI...

While the Eberlestock may make some good packs for certain applications, handling heavy loads is not one of them. The rifle scabbard is neat, but it forces the load further away from the frame and your back which decreases comfort and balance. Due to the design, and construction they will not handle loads as well as MR packs.

Now 6.5lbs is kind of ridiculous for a 2200ci day pack... Unless you envision having to carry 60-80+ pounds on the way out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI...

While the Eberlestock may make some good packs for certain applications, handling heavy loads is not one of them. The rifle scabbard is neat, but it forces the load further away from the frame and your back which decreases comfort and balance. Due to the design, and construction they will not handle loads as well as MR packs.

Now 6.5lbs is kind of ridiculous for a 2200ci day pack... Unless you envision having to carry 60-80+ pounds on the way out. </div></div>

That is exactly what I envision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucknelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just FYI...

Now 6.5lbs is kind of ridiculous for a 2200ci day pack... Unless you envision having to carry 60-80+ pounds on the way out. </div></div>

That is exactly what I envision.</div></div>

The Blue Widow pack from Eberlestock eliminates the large gap left by an integral scabbard, letting you pack the load closer to your back. I had the J017 in 2007, and it performed exceptional for me. I changed to the Blue Widow for a pair of hunts last fall, and packed 2 deer out of the backcountry with it.

The reason why the J014 doesn't feel comfortable when you haul a load is because it doesn't have an adjustable torso, and my guess is that you were not molded to fit that pack.

All things considered, it is hard to beat an Eberlestock for the money.

You still have the issues of why Eberlestock packs do not carry weight well. They are just not designed for it.

I have not had any issues at all with my Eberlestock "Just One" pack. I have carried a TON of stuff too. The only thing I have to compare it to is a Mountainsmith pack I have used for years as well. NONE of the "issues" that you describe above. The MR pack described does appear quite nice though.

The photos make it look very good. It's a little bigger than my day pack. But maybe slightly smaller than my exterior frame Jansport. Close call on the size.

Looks like a very good system. Main question is, are YOU satisfied with it and the way it works? You are the one that has to work with it in the woods.