• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting pistol optic questions

Jrb572

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I was not sure what section would actually be best for this question. So I will try here. I am looking to purchase a Smith and Wesson 460 for alternative deer season. I want a scope for at least shots out to 100 yards.

I am trying to figure which model will work best with a scope. I do not want to spend a bunch of money and find it sucks for the setup I want. Of course I would prefer the cheaper route but if it is not a good set up I would rather purchase the more expensive model.

The one model below has a Picatinny built into the barrel And the other you can purchase the pictured rail to add a scope. The cheaper route is buying the pistol and the add on rail. If it would work fine with a scope I’d rather do that route. I was thinking a Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle Or something similar.

looking for opinions because when it comes to hunting pistols I know absolutely nothing. I appreciate any help.

1670985538709.jpeg

1670985563542.jpeg

1670985592258.jpeg

Last edited:
    I think all S&W revolvers (K frame and larger) are drilled and taped for optic rails. They work well, but you will need a long eye relief "pistol" scope.

Mike

Both of those guns will do the job

they Are drilled for the short mount which puts the scope back further.

So I am looking for a pistol scope?

Yes. You need a scope specifically for a pistol with long eye relief.

Just something to consider, but last time I looked at Missouri’s alternative weapons season rules you could use any pistol. Which means you could get like a 12.5” 308 and use it. You could also do a smokeless muzzleloader

• Love
    Reactions: HOOFER
    You're going to go to the hospital or the morgue if you put that optic on that pistol. You need a pistol optic and you need a good one not a chinese POS if you want it to actually hold up to the ride on top of a 460.

The Leupold pistol scopes are good for the $$. Or buy a serious red dot like Trijicon RMR/SRO, Aimpoint, Eotech.

You're going to go to the hospital or the morgue if you put that optic on that pistol. You need a pistol optic and you need a good one not a chinese POS if you want it to actually hold up to the ride on top of a 460.

The Leupold pistol scopes are good for the $$. Or buy a serious red dot like Trijicon RMR/SRO, Aimpoint, Eotech.
    That is why I am asking. I stated I know nothing about pistols with scopes.

Just something to consider, but last time I looked at Missouri’s alternative weapons season rules you could use any pistol. Which means you could get like a 12.5” 308 and use it. You could also do a smokeless muzzleloader
    Thought about that. But wouldn’t you have to have a tax stamp for an SBR?

Not for an ar pistol. Just put a brace on it (for now until ATF changes their mind) even without, it’s still probably easier to use than a 460 revolver

Based on my experience I would go with a 44 mag, added rail, and an RMR. I say this because in theory you can (and I guess some really can) shoot 100 yds with a scoped pistol. But in FIELD hunting conditions, I sure couldn’t! I don’t push past 50 yards and a red dot is good for that. Does Missouri require more than a 44 mag? Most deer move right at dawn and dusk and red dots are a lot better then. on several occasions I have watched bucks chasing does right at dusk and I couldn’t find the cross hairs. Very frustrating! If possible find somebody that has a scoped pistol and try it before you buy. Also shoot a 454 Casull or 460 before you buy. They are a handful!😬
    And btw pistol hunting is SO fun!!

Based on my experience I would go with a 44 mag, added rail, and an RMR. I say this because in theory you can (and I guess some really can) shoot 100 yds with a scoped pistol. But in FIELD hunting conditions, I sure couldn’t! I don’t push past 50 yards and a red dot is good for that. Does Missouri require more than a 44 mag? Most deer move right at dawn and dusk and red dots are a lot better then. on several occasions I have watched bucks chasing does right at dusk and I couldn’t find the cross hairs. Very frustrating! If possible find somebody that has a scoped pistol and try it before you buy. Also shoot a 454 Casull or 460 before you buy. They are a handful!😬
    And btw pistol hunting is SO fun!!
    I started pistol hunting 30+ years ago. I shoot a 7 1/2" 45 colt Ruger Blackhawk with an old 1.5-4 Weaver scope. I haven't shot it much lately but used to shoot it very well at 100 yards. Longest I took a whitetail was about 70. I'm sure there are much better scopes today. I shoot a 335 grain hard cast at just under 1200 fps, it just hammers deer. 454 Casull would be a great choice, can also shoot the 45 colt out of them for lighter loads.

Reactions: 260284

I’m going to Missouri new years for alternative means and taking these pistols.

Barrel under 16” and OAL under 26”.

Both 300 blk out

Braces are specifically allowed…. Don’t ask me I didn’t make the rules 🤣

Attachments

• 07A0B100-98C2-4A8A-95E0-BB04F2091D4A.jpeg
      07A0B100-98C2-4A8A-95E0-BB04F2091D4A.jpeg
      615.6 KB · Views: 78
    I’m going to Missouri new years for alternative means and taking these pistols.

Barrel under 16” and OAL under 26”.

Both 300 blk out

Braces are specifically allowed…. Don’t ask me I didn’t make the rules 🤣
    That’s crazy. I didn’t think they would allow something like that.

I’d buy a T/C pistol scope work great on my 30-06 encore pistol

I have killed a lot of deer with a .44 Mag never felt the need for more gun, made shots out to 100yrds with a T/C contender with a red dot sight.
    I'm shooting a T/C encore .44 mag pistol now with a Holoson green dot on it have no problem hitting pop cans at 100 yrds from a rest.

I’m sure all I would need is a 44. But I want a 460. I use a 300WM for deer hunting also. I know I could get away with something smaller. I always buy a bigger than needed in case I would like to hunt something else with it at a later date.

The good thing about the 460 S&W, you can shoot 454 casull & .45 colt out of it. 460 has a hefty recoil, not exactly a pleasure to shoot…the other two rounds are quite a bit more tame.

Like mentioned, you’ll want a pistol scope for the longer eye relief. There aren’t many “high end” options for pistol scopes, but there are a lot of cheap scopes. Personally, but once, cry once…don’t go cheap on optics, especially on something with the recoil of a 460.

The Leupold vx3 2.5-8 is about as good as it gets, and is still relatively cheap (compared to rifle optics). That’ll easily get you to 100 yards with either pistol above.

Getting that same scope for my 460 has been on my long “to do” list.
    241BA7E8-7387-441A-8A45-5A91C39AAC3D.jpeg

Reactions: XP1K and Jrb572
    After blowing out the reticle on this Burris, I'd get a Leupold. Burris replaced it under warranty, but I expect it to happen again.

And yea, 460 is quite a handful.

0T5sHPT.jpg

So, OP, did you ever get you a 460 ? Absolutely love mine. I've had it at least 12 years now. It's the standard 8⅜" model Xframe. I used a weigan (hope I spelled that right) base and a 2.5-8x weaver on it. The scope has survived a couple hundred rounds now and is still going strong. Don't cheap out on the rings though. I had to upgrade rings on mine due to the scope sliding in the rings. And get a good holster because they are a boat anchor to carry.

So far I've killed two whitetail with it and one javelin. One deer with a 200gr ftx factory load and one with a handloaded 240gr xtp mag and the javelina also caught a 240. The factory 200's are moving 2300fps. My 240 handloads are moving along at 2000fps.

One deer at 25 yards, the next at 60 and the javelina at 96. Deer in the pic was the 60 yard shot. He limped about 35-40 yards after the shot.
    20221106_083938.jpg

Screenshot_20230101-194515_Messages.jpg

20230204_181547.jpg

The good thing about the 460 S&W, you can shoot 454 casull & .45 colt out of it. 460 has a hefty recoil, not exactly a pleasure to shoot…the other two rounds are quite a bit more tame.

Like mentioned, you’ll want a pistol scope for the longer eye relief. There aren’t many “high end” options for pistol scopes, but there are a lot of cheap scopes. Personally, but once, cry once…don’t go cheap on optics, especially on something with the recoil of a 460.

The Leupold vx3 2.5-8 is about as good as it gets, and is still relatively cheap (compared to rifle optics). That’ll easily get you to 100 yards with either pistol above.

Getting that same scope for my 460 has been on my long “to do” list. View attachment 8025855
    I'm really liking that grip. Who makes it ?

Yep I purchased one used that had a leupold scope on it. I got it and the reticle was canted. Sent the scope to them and it was a discontinued model. They ended up letting me trade up to another model. So far I’m very happy with it. Now looking forward for deer season this year.

Reactions: Langford and XP1K
    Handgunning was my speciality for most of my adult shooting life. Used scoped handguns since the late 1990’s.

The Bushnell variables do not have great eye relief. Their fixed target models were much better but totally irrelevant to the current discussion. I had reason to return one of my Burris 7X target scopes (which by that time was well our to production), they repaired it quickly and properly and even threw in a new set of scope caps. Gotta give them an ATTABOY.

The Bushnell 2x-6 were great scopes, fine eye relief and quite rugged and are still in very high demand. If you can find one in good condition, at a reasonable price, go for it. Doubt you will though.

The Leupold scopes seem to be the gold standard of handgun scopes at this time. Stay away from the 2x model. They seem to actually reduce the size of the target in the scope. All’s you are getting is a cross hair. The 4x models I have handled are fine scopes. The 2x-8 is the best of the line and probably the best handgun scope around. Good eye relief, rugged and with the rare exception well made with few defects.

Red dots are great at putting the gun on the target. For short range work, much better than iron sights. Regardless of using a scope or a red dot, for hunting purposes, at ranges today’s revolvers are capable of ethically putting down game, plan on shooting from a support.

For single shot handguns, they are heavy enough that shooting with some sort of support is a requirement.

If you have not made a purchase, do look into the Freedom Arms revolvers. From our experience, the most accurate revolvers made. On this I have No Dog In This Hunt, but shot a bunch of handguns and The Freedom Arms can almost shoot with the very best custom bolt action single shot handguns such as my XP-100 below.

645E0ABE-DF23-4529-8DBD-4E01A687B807.jpeg

For optimal scope compatibility on a budget, consider the model with the built-in Picatinny on the barrel. Pairing it with a Vortex 1-8x24 Strike Eagle should work well for shots up to 100 yards. Your choice seems suitable.