• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting/Plinking build - thoughts on weight?

Berzurker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
PARTTYPEWeight
ChassisXLR Element w/ Folding stock57 oz
BarrelSendero Stainless 26" - 300 win mag68 oz
TriggerTriggerTech4 oz
ActionKelbly Atlas Tactical - Rem Long33 oz
BrakeKelbly Klaw5 oz
ScopeBurris XTR iii30 oz
RingsSimmons Low 5 oz
12.6 LBS

Hey everyone.

I'm putting together my first custom and I just figured I'd get some thoughts on the build. This is for Elk hunting mostly with some long range steel plinking as well.
The main drawback that I see is the weight. 12.6 lbs is a lot to be hauling around in the mountains, but there really aren't too many places I could still shave off weight.

I could go carbon barrel for an extra $350 and lightweight stock on the chassis for $150. That $450 would save just over 2lbs producing a 10-11lb gun. What do you think? Hump the extra weight or drop the extra cash? Thanks!

That's gonna be a heeeavy and long gun. If you really feel that you need the range of a magnum, I would consider a 300 Win Short Mag in a short action with a 20" barrel. Huge weight and length savings with almost the same ballistics.

I also have strong feelings about chassis that have me touching exposed aluminum or that have a lot of snag points.

If we kinda flow chart this out:
- If it's deer/black bear/antelope or similar or smaller, a magnum is overkill. Most shots are taken within 200yds, very few present past the 500yds that a .308 is capable of.
- If it's Elk, and you're in very open country like E. Oregon or some places in Idaho or Montana, etc., can present, then a magnum can make sense.
- If it's Elk season, the weather probably sucks and I wouldn't want to touch anything aluminum

I switched back to a 6.5 creedmoor for long range shots using 142gr Accubond Long Range cartridges and a lightweight .308 AR for anything else after running the numbers. 700-800yds is the absolute max range I'd take a shot on an animal because that is cross-canyon distance where you're really messing with different with layers and a 1+second flighttime. If I shoot an Elk at 650 with an ABLR I'd be happy. If I shoot a blacktail at 50yds with the same round I'd be happy, but if I took that shot with a magnum it'd destroy a lot of meat.

If you want the magnum though, I'd shorten the gun up with a short action magnum cartridge and shorter barrel in the 20'ish range. I'd also consider how much you're walking with it. Last season I did 13 miles on the last day. My gun with a can was 9 pounds and that didn't bother me, and I wouldn't want to go more.

That scope is also a bit heavy and has a reticle that's hard to pick up outside of ideal situations or at close ranges. Great scope, but I don't think it's a good option for hunting.

Things to consider:
  1. A Defiance AnTi action will save you about 10oz
  2. A PVA ultralight jet-blast will save you 3oz
  3. A Manners Ultra Classic is going to save you a lot of weight. If you want the extra options that a folding chassis offers look into the MDT HNT. The HNT is a little lighter than an XLR and is made of composites so that it doesn't have the cold feeling of handling metal.
  4. A Vortex LHT 4.5-22 will save you weight and the magnification range is acceptable. If you are willing to accept a bit more weight for a do it all crossover scope then a March 4.5-28 is really worth looking into. The March is a much nicer scope but very pricey and weights 30oz
  5. A CF barrel is the way to go as the weight savings are significant and cost effective compared to the other options.
I believe in spending the money as a heavy gun just sucks.

And ditch anything with the Simmons name on it.

Honestly, you could just build a 22" 30-06 on the An-ti action with a lightweight stock and barrel and you'd be fine.

Hunting rifle? Light is right and lighter is righter.

Reactions: Franko
Getting A leupold scope can save you roughly a pound.
Shorten the barrel.
And get the magnesium xlr element for a couple more pounds shaved off.

The MDT HNT26 is only a little lighter than the XLR? The HNT26 is 26 oz. I assembled one and it was nice. Super light. Balanced extremely well with a CF barrel.

The Snipers Hide version of "lightweight hunting rifle" is always amusing! LOL

I'd go something more like this myself.

Defiance AnTi
Manners MCS-UC
Short shank a Bart 2b @ 20" and chamber 7-08
Bushnell 3-12 LRTS in Hawkens LW mounts

Hunting? Just buy this at 6.3lbs shoot as is, and to shoot steel swap the barreled action into whatever chassis or stock floats your boat. You could even buy a heavy barrel for steel shooting and an action wrench/barrel vise.

your trying to make the "do-all" rifle

we have all tried that (some of us multiple times, but ill never admit it)

dont waste your time

buy a decent, light factory rifle

a factory rifle with a modern cartridge will take a deer at elk at 500 no problem

use the same scope if you want to save a few bucks

then actually build what you want to "shoot steel" if you have your eyes on certain components

shooting 2-5 animals a year (1 box of ammo with a few shots for confirm zero) is not worth compromising every other range day of the year

or

build off the receiver/trigger you want and buy 2 chassis and 2 barrels...swap for the "day"

with the availability of end user changeable prefits and accessories, think modularity of the weapon system

not a certain "type of rifle"

That's gonna be a heeeavy and long gun. If you really feel that you need the range of a magnum, I would consider a 300 Win Short Mag in a short action with a 20" barrel. Huge weight and length savings with almost the same ballistics.

I also have strong feelings about chassis that have me touching exposed aluminum or that have a lot of snag points.

If we kinda flow chart this out:
- If it's deer/black bear/antelope or similar or smaller, a magnum is overkill. Most shots are taken within 200yds, very few present past the 500yds that a .308 is capable of.
- If it's Elk, and you're in very open country like E. Oregon or some places in Idaho or Montana, etc., can present, then a magnum can make sense.
- If it's Elk season, the weather probably sucks and I wouldn't want to touch anything aluminum

I switched back to a 6.5 creedmoor for long range shots using 142gr Accubond Long Range cartridges and a lightweight .308 AR for anything else after running the numbers. 700-800yds is the absolute max range I'd take a shot on an animal because that is cross-canyon distance where you're really messing with different with layers and a 1+second flighttime. If I shoot an Elk at 650 with an ABLR I'd be happy. If I shoot a blacktail at 50yds with the same round I'd be happy, but if I took that shot with a magnum it'd destroy a lot of meat.

If you want the magnum though, I'd shorten the gun up with a short action magnum cartridge and shorter barrel in the 20'ish range. I'd also consider how much you're walking with it. Last season I did 13 miles on the last day. My gun with a can was 9 pounds and that didn't bother me, and I wouldn't want to go more.

That scope is also a bit heavy and has a reticle that's hard to pick up outside of ideal situations or at close ranges. Great scope, but I don't think it's a good option for hunting.
Thanks for the input! I primarily elk hunt and live in Colorado. I’ve been elk hunting for 20ish years with a standard store bought Remington 30-06 or 300 win mag and honestly most of my kills have been inside of 300 yards - but I’d like to be able to poke out to 6 or 700.

I think I might have to get a 20ish barrel in 6.5 to make something a bit handier and lighter for hunts in heavy brush. I did get the illuminated reticle for the Burris!

Things to consider:
  1. A Defiance AnTi action will save you about 10oz
  2. A PVA ultralight jet-blast will save you 3oz
  3. A Manners Ultra Classic is going to save you a lot of weight. If you want the extra options that a folding chassis offers look into the MDT HNT. The HNT is a little lighter than an XLR and is made of composites so that it doesn't have the cold feeling of handling metal.
  4. A Vortex LHT 4.5-22 will save you weight and the magnification range is acceptable. If you are willing to accept a bit more weight for a do it all crossover scope then a March 4.5-28 is really worth looking into. The March is a much nicer scope but very pricey and weights 30oz
  5. A CF barrel is the way to go as the weight savings are significant and cost effective compared to the other options.
I believe in spending the money as a heavy gun just sucks.
All great options to look at! Thanks for taking the time to point those out.

Reactions: Franko
Hunting? Just buy this at 6.3lbs shoot as is, and to shoot steel swap the barreled action into whatever chassis or stock floats your boat. You could even buy a heavy barrel for steel shooting and an action wrench/barrel vise.

That’s the plan (barrel swapping eventually), the only downside I found with the tikka action is that I don’t think they can accommodate a long, high bc bullets like the 215 Berger that I’m planning to use.

Reactions: carbonbased
your trying to make the "do-all" rifle

we have all tried that (some of us multiple times, but ill never admit it)

dont waste your time

buy a decent, light factory rifle

a factory rifle with a modern cartridge will take a deer at elk at 500 no problem

use the same scope if you want to save a few bucks

then actually build what you want to "shoot steel" if you have your eyes on certain components

shooting 2-5 animals a year (1 box of ammo with a few shots for confirm zero) is not worth compromising every other range day of the year

or

build off the receiver/trigger you want and buy 2 chassis and 2 barrels...swap for the "day"

with the availability of end user changeable prefits and accessories, think modularity of the weapon system

not a certain "type of rifle"
Haha that’s exactly what I’m trying to do!

I already have a few factory rifles that have been getting the job done, so I think I’ll er on the side of having a long range tac driver and if I hate hauling the behemoth around enough, then I’ll put my new fancy scope on one of those instead. I don’t take game over 500 with those rifles, but that’s been more a scope limitation than a rifle limitation. Some of those factory guns shoot pretty damn well with the right loads. I just haven’t invested in glass with solid and repeatable turrets/tracking until now.