• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting - PRS crossover scope $1 - 1.5k

Vicko

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Ok. So I've done a complete 360 and I'm now open to looking at FFP scopes again that will be put at first on my 30-06 deer and pig stalking rifle, and then get use on a separate PRS crossover style build on the way that will probably sit in something like an an MDT XRS chassis. I had been leaning towards f class longer range stuff and SFP (and almost ordered the new Razor HD LHT although it was so damn tight to adjust the mag range), but now I'm back to PRS style mid range (out to say 600m) and FFP as I think it will be more beneficial to my hunting capabilities.

Budget is around the $1k-1.5k US mark (I'm from Australia so our pricing can be a little different, but will be thereabouts).

Bearing in mind that it will be running crossover duties I'll figure I'm wanting:
Something around the ~4- ~15x magnification range. Preferably 3x low end but I would go to 5-25 as long as the reticle is actually usable at 5x for hunting closer ranges like pigs
Usable reticle at low range as well as up higher - more than likely Illuminated reticle for this
Assuming a 50mm objective or higher for lower light hunting
Weight <30oz
Locking turrets - this will be used as a stalking rifle and I don't want turrets being moved accidentally. Am I overly worried about this?

I've looked at:
the Optika 6, 3-18x glass and was pleasantly surprised, but I was only able to view a SFP with BDC reticle. Not sure how I feel about the look of the FFP MRAD 1 reticle though...
I also looked at the Strike Eagle 5-25 today with the EBR7 reticle). Glass looked ok. Didnt blow me away compared to the Razor HD LHT or Optika 6 but it would probably get the job done - and the price is obviously lower which would let me spend on a range finder and other gear. I figure I could use this to get used to that reticle (which is the same one thats in the higher end Razors). Then put something like a Razor Gen2 on the PRS rifle if I find it holding me back.
Nightforce SHV 4-14 F1 is getting a smidge out of my comfort zone price wise (but I could do it) although it doesn't have locking turrets. Keen to hear if anyone is using one of these for hunting and if they've had their turrets move inadvertently.
What else am I missing in that tier that has the above criteria?

OR...

Should i go for the Razor HD LHT SFP 3-15x42 with the HSR5 reticle (I don't like the BDC reticle on the 50mm) and just see how I go with that on the PRS crossover rifle to start with.
Obviously better glass for hunting. And any holdovers when I get to PRS stuff would be done at 15x anyway... I'd just need to be able to free up the mag adjustment a little.

In your locale look for a used March 3-24 x 52.
Very light and solid tracking and glass.
Mil reticle gets it done but not a great one.

R

Can you get Brownells scopes in Australia? Their MPO 3-18x50 should be at the top of your list. Ditto for Tract 4-20x50UHD.

If you can find a used March 3-24x52, that would be best, but I do not know if you can get one in your price range.

ILya

Appreciate the suggestions

I cant seem to find the Bushnell LRHSi - has it been renamed to LRTS by any chance? I'm not overly familiar with their lineup.
The LRTS looks to go for about 2 grand down here (more money then a PST Gen2, similar to an SHV 4-14F1) DMR2 3.5-21 is a couple of hundred more.
I don't think I can get Brownell or Tract here. There appears to be a website for Brownells, but it looks dodgy AF. Pity, I like the look of the Tract especially.
And yes that March is also going to be a struggle in my price range...

I just found a listing of the Optika6 3-18 FFP with the MRAD reticle.. just checking to see if they aren't confusing it for the MRAD1. Good price...

I could always just buy the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42mm now and use it for hunting. Then by the time Covid goes away and I can get the PRS rifle sorted there might be an updated Viper PST or Razor FFP that doesn't weigh half a tonne. If push came to shove I could probably use the HSR-5i reticle from the LHT at full power in PRS anyway couldn't I?
sub_RazorLHT_3-15x42_HSR-5i_mrad-v2.jpg

If you can find a used March 3-24x52, that would be best, but I do not know if you can get one in your price range.
ILya

Just came across a second hand SHV 4-14F1 for a couple of hundred bucks less than the Razor LHT is new. But that reticle doesn't give much more info than the LHT. I get that it will be correct at all magnifications, but from what I can see aren't you pretty much leaving the mag alone at about 15x in a PRS match, dialling elevation and holding for wind? The MilR in the SHVF1 doesn't have any more detail than the HSR5 does...

How do you guys rate the Athlon Ares BTR gen2 2.5-15x50?
Compared to say, the PSTgen2?

It doesn't have locking turrets but the Gen2 Ares BTR's have more defined and stiffer clicks than the Gen1. SS internals as well and of course a zero stop.

The reticle thickness in the Ares BTR is a hair thicker than some reticles which is better for FFP scopes on low mag. Other nice things about the reticle which make it easier to see on low mag are the crossing over hashes, and the center cross, both of which appear bigger on low mag compared to a center dot and a thinner reticle.
This APLR2 reticle is my favorite one in the Athlon line up and the Ares BTR G2 4.5-27x50 because of the value it represents.

Some of the scopes you've mentioned for consideration are long and heavy which isn't bad for Comps but can be annoying for walking around with.

Appreciate the suggestions

I cant seem to find the Bushnell LRHSi - has it been renamed to LRTS by any chance? I'm not overly familiar with their lineup.
The LRTS looks to go for about 2 grand down here (more money then a PST Gen2, similar to an SHV 4-14F1) DMR2 3.5-21 is a couple of hundred more.
I don't think I can get Brownell or Tract here. There appears to be a website for Brownells, but it looks dodgy AF. Pity, I like the look of the Tract especially.
And yes that March is also going to be a struggle in my price range...

I just found a listing of the Optika6 3-18 FFP with the MRAD reticle.. just checking to see if they aren't confusing it for the MRAD1. Good price...

I could always just buy the Razor HD LHT 3-15x42mm now and use it for hunting. Then by the time Covid goes away and I can get the PRS rifle sorted there might be an updated Viper PST or Razor FFP that doesn't weigh half a tonne. If push came to shove I could probably use the HSR-5i reticle from the LHT at full power in PRS anyway couldn't I?
sub_RazorLHT_3-15x42_HSR-5i_mrad-v2.jpg

Magnum Sports have one last Bushnell LRHSi for sale at clearance prices. Suggest you give them a call...

I've used a 2.5-12 BTR briefly and was very underwelmed.
The FOV was average and the glass was lack luster, turrets and reticle were ok though.
The PST Gen2 is a far better scope in my opinion.

I think the LHT would work fine as a precision scope, I've used SFP scopes on long range rifles and for PRS type shoots multiple times.
95% of the time SFP has not been an issue, the remaining 5% would have been nice to have FFP but I managed without, with a 3-15 you'll find yourself on max magnification for hold over shots anyway.

For a true cross over scope I think the 3-18x50 Optika6 with the MRAD-1 reticle would be my choice.
Usually the downfall of a tactical FFP scope for hunting is retcile visibility at minimum magnification and quick target aquistion.
I've trained a fair bit with my 3-15 PST Gen 2 on 3x shooting at small targets, yes you do get used to it and no it's not completely useless but it does leave a bit to be desired.

I think Ilyas design of the MRAD-1 reticle does a pretty good job of addressing those issues and would be my choice for a true cross over rifle.
I was all set to buy one for my cross over but decided to go down the path of separate rifles for PRS and hunting, as ultimately my version of a cross over rifle was somewhat of a futile endeavor.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Thanks Beetroot - that’s my current thinking too. To get the Razor LHT 42mm (id get the bigger one if it didn’t have the bdc reticle) and a throw lever.
It should be great for my stalking rifle and adequate for dipping my toes into PRS on a crossover 243 setup and then as a backup scope if/when I get a fully setup.
I’d had second thoughts after watching some of Piets hunting videos on the Impact Shooting channel where he uses his chassis setup for hunting.

Time to pull the trigger and stop dicking about :)
Update - an order has been made ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: beetroot
Thanks Beetroot - that’s my current thinking too. To get the Razor LHT 42mm (id get the bigger one if it didn’t have the bdc reticle) and a throw lever.
It should be great for my stalking rifle and adequate for dipping my toes into PRS on a crossover 243 setup and then as a backup scope if/when I get a fully setup.
I’d had second thoughts after watching some of Piets hunting videos on the Impact Shooting channel where he uses his chassis setup for hunting.

Time to pull the trigger and stop dicking about :)
Update - an order has been made ;)
Definitely, I've shot a heap of PRS type shoots with my 260 Tikka with a sporter weight barrel and done extraordinarily well, beating guys with much more fit for purpose rifles.
Shot my first PRS type matches with SFP scopes, Leupold VX5, VX6 and Vortex HST and again done very well.

How much does a LHT set you back in Aussie?
They seem to be about 2000NZD here, basically same price as the PST Gen 2.

Cheaper than a PST here atm (just). Au$1650
That's a damn good price, much better than the shafting we get here.
Post a review/thoughts once you've spent a bit of time with it. Will be keen to see what you think.

Reactions: Vicko