• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting Reticle Options

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
So Im currently building a lightweight hunting rifle off of a Tikka Lite in 6.5CM. For glass Im still open to options but one thing Im finding is that its very difficult to find a mil based scope in a lightweight package, and also that majority of hunters are using a duplex style reticle.
This had me wondering if us tactical/practical shooters are using our “busy” target reticles for hunting, or if you too use a duplex.
If so, does anyone find themselves lacking in a duplex reticle or for hunting purposes does the duplex work just fine?

I use a Leupold duplex reticle but most of my hunting is within 300 yards (whitetail deer in Texas). If I was to hunt at longer ranges or bigger animals, then I would use my other rifle with a mil scope.

I find no problems with the duplex reticle within 300 yrs. I know my drops for my Tikka light 308 win.

I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 with Firedot Duplex it is lightweight has the custom dial system CDS and works like a charm. I like simple uncluttered crosshairs. I shot a mule deer at 300 Yards this year. We ranged him at 301 Yards I adjusted my CDS as I had one made for my gun and factory Hornady 143 ELDx 6.5 Creedmoor and hit him exactly where I was aiming.

The guys I was hunting with were impressed so we ranged a Yucca tree and 800 yards and all 3 of us proceeded to take 2 shots each and we all hit it with ease.

I can’t say enough about the scope the clarity is awesome even in low light you wouldn’t be disappointed.

2175123A-971F-4E70-B92D-E55A862D1E2C.jpeg
34AC882D-2014-48E6-A366-8EE67AF739A4.jpeg

I use the S&B 3-12x42 Klassik Precision Hunter that has the P3 mildot reticle and elevation turret with 3.2 mils of adjustment. Weighs 21 ounces and I have found the tracking and return to zero to be spot on. Worked great on my 7mm08 last fall, twisted up for my shot at 370 yards and bullet hit where I was aiming...

I like the scope so much I put another one on my Tikka 6.5x55, but used the MT rail and APA low rings.

Hard to beat NF C461 2.5-10x42 mil-r on a synthetic semi tactical hunting rifle
Light
Durable
Reticle usable but not cluttered
Most of your hunting calibers are going to be .7-1mil @ 300 yards; dial beyond that or hold @ 10x

That being said for me certain hunting rifles for stand / overlook hunting within 400 yards of said quarry a duplex works fine. Shoot your rifle and determine the drop on a SFP duplex at the top of the post below crosshairs.

I am not putting a tactical scope or can on my custom wood stocked .280 Mauser; a 6x42 German SB duplex graces it and gets the job done out to 400 easily.

My around favorite is still the NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Mil-r albeit a midweight for a midweight setup on my favorite LR hunter Blaser R8 in .300N and 338 Lapua = 100 to 800 easy

When I go to my R8 Luxus wood receiver I run a Swaro Z6 2-12x50 duplex; 20” .308 barrel or 25” 300 Win...light and right to 400 easy

It’s a question of the right tool or least what is appropriate for your intended purpose or self imposed limits

BCF25447-D1F4-416A-BA18-07993FC8D0B3.jpeg
82A9BDA4-EF88-4DCC-97B9-B63D2F0C350C.jpeg

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Thanks for all the input!

Yeah, Im shooting a 6.5CM now so Im think 600m and in are going to be my ethical limits (likely stick to 500 and in). Im looking very closely at the Leupold Vx5HD 3-15x44 and have been considering either the Fireplex or the Windplex reticles. This will be my lightweight mountain gun so weight is definitely a concern, but Im not sure I can go full capped turret duplex, with no parallax just yet (hard enough going MOA when Ive gone solely Mil on all other guns)

Reactions: DXT_Shooter
Thanks for all the input!

Yeah, Im shooting a 6.5CM now so Im think 600m and in are going to be my ethical limits (likely stick to 500 and in). Im looking very closely at the Leupold Vx5HD 3-15x44 and have been considering either the Fireplex or the Windplex reticles. This will be my lightweight mountain gun so weight is definitely a concern, but Im not sure I can go full capped turret duplex, with no parallax just yet (hard enough going MOA when Ive gone solely Mil on all other guns)
Get the VX5HD with the zero lock exposed elevation turret, the winddage is capped and you have the parallax adjustment. I love mine and as far a the reticle either one would work but I do really like the fire dot feature.

You won’t be disappointed I love mine ??

I’ve looked st this same application extensively and theres always some trade off. If you want the lightest you can get for a mountain gun that will be 500 yards and less here’s a few options.

12.4 oz Leupold 3x9, TMR. Glass is great for that range and for hunting. If you want paralex adjustments they make a mildot in the 4-12 that will do that, but it’s a few oz heavier.

https://www.swfa.com/leupold-3-9x40-mark-ar-mod-1-riflescope-106666.html

The weights go up from here as the glass goes up in quality.

Also, I have several of the first gen Zeiss Conquest scopes with the Rapid Z-800 reticle and these are my actual first choice for light hunting scopes, but you need to understand how that reticle works and if that fits your needs.

I like the scope so much I put another one on my Tikka 6.5x55, but used the MT rail and APA low rings.

Just curious as to why you didn't use rings that mate up to the Tikka's dovetail. Probably could have lowered the scope a little more.

I like the Vortex with 2 moa hash marks left and right up an down. It works perfect with the Wind calls on my G7 BR2 range finder. I use the range finder to give me my elevation adjustments, then the Hash Marks to hold for windage rather then adjust.

I really have come to prefer the P3 mildot on my S&Bs. I picked up a Premier LT with the XR reticle and going to give that a go.

So far Ive narrowed it down to either the Leupold Vx5HD with the Windplex or the Vortex Razor HD LH with HSR-4 reticle. Truthfully I would love Mil in order to keep all my platforms the same, but for a lightweight hunting build these are about the best I can find within my weight and price range.
Honestly if the HSR-4 was in the Leupold Id be sold, but its a decision between which I prefer more, dialing for elevation, or holding with a good reticle.

Honestly I think I’ll be going with the Windplex in the end. Only thing Id say Id like to see is the firedot in the windplex on the Vx5HD.

Reactions: DXT_Shooter
I really like vortex MOA reticles on the razors, and Trijicon MOA reticle like in the 2.5-10x56.