• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Hunting rifle search

siscoe308

Dimachaerus
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2012
Usa
I’m looking to upgrade from my trusty old Ruger m77 .270 Win. It’s a near MOA rifle with factory Ammo that has never failed me BUT I’ve grown into something of a elitist & Am changing over my collect to left handed bolt guns.

Looking for semi customs in the Cooper/ Dakota/ Christiansen arms/ Gunwerks/ Kimber class of rifles.

Wishlist:
  1. Lefty
  2. Synthetic stock
  3. Cerakoted metal
  4. 270 Win chamber
  5. Some Accuracy guarantee w/ factory loads

Any ideas or companies I should look at?

A Tikka costs less and will likely out shoot most on your list .

This, why we all look for custom / semi custom performance when Tikka off the shelf cost $650 and will perform side by side and possible out perform those you mentioned. Left handed too.

I got the elitist bug too years ago but after dropping the nuggets I realized I was not gaining much but a cool pop gun.

My opinion:

Cooper no
Dakota dont know much
Christianson OK
Gunwerks OK
Kimber, had some accuracy issues but in a short action, lighter and shorter than Tikka for around $700.

Fierce is worth looking at if you want to and have the nuggets. Don't know about left hand.

Good luck

Reactions: Stooxie
with an anti-gun non 2A VP of sales, Ryan Busse, I’d stay away from Kimber. How companies employ and support people like this is beyond me.

Get a Barrett Fieldcraft. Ronnie Barrett walks the walk.

Thanks for the replies, Gents.
I want grade (or two) above the Tikka....again not because of function but just because I can.
Blaser R8 isn't completely ruled out either.

Ill check the Barrett out.

@bhanley Western SD deer hunting, hiking/spot&stalk/laying on a hay bale in ambush

Pick your favorite gunsmith and have what you want, built for you.

If you are not building a custom rifle I would just get a cooper.
Every cooper I’ve had or worked loads for had shot excellent.
Kimbers can be finicky.
No experience with Dakota or Christianson.
Gunweks shoot great but cooper seems like a better value.

This is my purely anecdotal evidence based opinion.

Careful traveling down the Blaser road. Its addicting and not cheap. I recently started moving to Blaser from Sako. Not because I dislike Sako but like you, just wanted something slightly more elevated. Its arguable but the Blaser is pretty sweet.

Barrett Fieldcraft is tough to beat if you want a lightweight, or NULA for more $$$.

Custom will get you exactly what you want too.

Or you could use the rifle you have and put alpha glass on it (if it doesn't have that already), or a great rangefinder, or a class, or an out of state hunt?

Thanks for the replies, Gents.
I want grade (or two) above the Tikka....again not because of function but just because I can.
Blaser R8 isn't completely ruled out either.

Ill check the Barrett out.

@bhanley Western SD deer hunting, hiking/spot&stalk/laying on a hay bale in ambush

Just go to First Stop Gun in Rapid City and have a look at their Dakota and Cooper rifles in stock. If it's not on the shelf, they probably have it in the basement.
605-341-5211

Reactions: cornhusker86
Just go to First Stop Gun in Rapid City and have a look at their Dakota and Cooper rifles in stock. If it's not on the shelf, they probably have it in the basement.
605-341-5211
I will be there this weekend. First Stop has a special place in my heart. Bought my first rifle there. A Mannlicher 10/22 that got water damage when the old place burned.

Reactions: cornhusker86
My first centerfire rifle (Savage 7mm-08) came from there around 1988-89.
I still have it.
I had moved to Idaho when the fire happened. After I moved back, I went into the basement with Mike and was sickened to see all the damaged guns down there that couldn't be sold.

It's still my favorite gun shop and I make lots of time to swing in there when I'm in the area.

Reactions: siscoe308
HS Precision PLR or SPL. I believe there is $100 up charge for lefty. They are in Rapid City and you can take a tour doing the week if your schedule allows.

I’m looking to upgrade from my trusty old Ruger m77 .270 Win. It’s a near MOA rifle with factory Ammo that has never failed me BUT I’ve grown into something of a elitist & Am changing over my collect to left handed bolt guns.

Looking for semi customs in the Cooper/ Dakota/ Christiansen arms/ Gunwerks/ Kimber class of rifles.

Wishlist:
  1. Lefty
  2. Synthetic stock
  3. Cerakoted metal
  4. 270 Win chamber
  5. Some Accuracy guarantee w/ factory loads
Any ideas or companies I should look at?

Gunwerks man! I’d love to own one of them rifles. Nothing wrong with their actions, but if I was putting that kind of $$$ into a rifle, I’d have them (or someone) build me a rifle around the Lone Peak Arms Fusion TI Action, Proof CF Barrel, Gunwerks Clymber or Magnus CF Stock, Bix n Andy 2 stage and Leupold MK5 3.6-18 to top it off.

FWIW, The way these actions are nowadays, you can order you action, action wrench, and prefit barrel and just put it together yourself. Probably cost you less too. Now that Gunwerks has their stocks in production you could order that too and just put the whole thing together.

Just a thought....

Last edited:
Wicked hunting setup is the Steyr Scout in .308 with a Burris 2-7x32 with the ballistic plex reticle. It is money. Has become my go to for hunting pigs, and whitetail. Plenty of better options out there. This sucker is just handy af, and gets the job done for me.

Sake 85.
All kinds of stocks and such
Wonderful rifles
As good as some customs
5 shot moa or better from factory

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Kimber is factory mass produced, not semi custom. No LH action either.
Barrett Fieldcraft is only RH, no LH action either.

Suggestion would be to buy the parts you want and send them to a gunsmith/builder known for tack drivers, and pay heed to their advice.