• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting rifle - what barrel profile is light but rigid enough for short strings at the range

rulellis

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2018
I want a fairly light hunting rifle, but my pencil barrel groups open up typically after 2-3 shots - at least in my Kimber 84M in .243 and Remington 700 in 30-06 with pencil barrels. I have a custom rifle with a 3B hawk hill barrel on it in a 300 WM that shoots strings plenty well, but I would like to know if I can go lighter than that (without going carbon wrapped), and be able to take 5 shot strings without the opening up. I am not looking for a range gun, just a hunting rifle that I can practice with without quite as much waiting between shots.

This would be for a mountain hunting rig - I'm thinking likely 280AI or perhaps a 270WSM. Would be primarily a sheep (if I ever get drawn) and mule deer gun.

I would think a good quality barrel sporter barrel will shoot 5 shot strings without walking the shots.

FWIW, my 700 CDL 30-06 with the factory sporter barrel will shoot 5 rounds into 1/2" or less regularly.

A friend just built a Defiance, sendero, manners combo that came in a little heavy at 8lbs but it’s in a PRS style stock.

I’ve used Bartlein #3s on three of my rifles and have not seen any issues at the range with reasonable usage. I have a #2B on hand to try on the next one.

I appreciate all the information. I think the 2b seems like the way to go. Then when it works well, I'll have a reason to try the 2 next time. Thank you for all the input.