• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope advice?

MTS308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Lake butler fl
I'm currently looking at 3 different scopes. The new vortex razor hd lht 3-15x42 mrad. Leupold vx6hd 3-18x50 firedot duplex. And a Nightforce nxs 2.5-10x42 milr. The rifle it's going on is a christensen arms mesa in 308. The purpose for the rifle will mainly be for deer/hog hunting out to 500 yards max. Steel plates out to 800 maybe a 1000 yards. Probably going to be mostly 90% hunting 10% target.
I'm strongly leaning towards the nxs and my only hesitation is 10x I like the vortex scopes but from what I've read the nxs is practically indestructible. The leupold is added because a friend has one he would sell for a decent price. But I've never been a leupold fan.
What scope would you get and why?

Of those 3 the NF would be the superior scope all around

I'm leaning towards the nightforce. And that's probably what I'm gonna get. Just curious what others think about the vortex and leupold. Vortex has a great warranty but warranties won't do any good when you are in the woods with a busted scope.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Well, as a hunter for 50+ years, my belief is that you can't go wrong with any of the choices you mention with regard to hunting. I own a V. Razor (4.5-27) and a VX6 3-18 and am quite satisfied with both. I can't speak for the NF since I don't own one, but being that it's a premium quality scope, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it as well. You mention, however, that 90% of the time your setup will be utilized for hunting out to 500 yards. Do you need more than 10x power for that range? If you feel you do, then select one of the others. My choice would be the V. Razor only because of the high power range since your occasionally (10% of the time) going out to 1000 yards. With some advise from others, I'm sure in the end you'll make the right choice. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: MTS308