• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope help ... In rural Africa

leendertp

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2021
The Mooooon
Hi.

New, here. No better way to introduce oneself than a scope question.

I want a new scope for a hunting rifle. I will shoot African antelope, no further that 400 yards or so. I will probably also plink at some steel for fun out to 1000 yards, but I have other rifles for that.

There are two elements that make this difficult. With Covid lockdowns and living on a farm far from a big city, I won't be going to see any of these scopes in person. Secondly, I live in South Africa, so prices are different. European scopes generally are cheaper, American more expensive. So for example MEOSTAR, cheaper for me than Arken, but it's also a bit up and down comparing American scopes. Obviously there are scarcity problems too, but I'll do my best to present options, although I will research any recommendations people make. I'll impose a hard R16 000 price limit.

So far as what I would like: I like FFP, I would insist on turrets I can dial. A 3 ish to 12ish zoom ratio should be plenty. Low light capabilities, hunting will almost always be dusk and dawn. I like nice reticles, hash marks, holdovers, Christmas Trees, but it really doesn't matter. Weight also isn't irrelevant, but not a deal breaker.

Some options, please bear in mind I cant actually see these scopes and am limited to Google.

MEOSTAR R1 4-16x44

MEOSTAR R1 4-12x40

Meopro 3-18x50

Lynx LX3 2.5-15x50 Tactical

Arken SHV4 Gen 2 4-16x50

Leupold Scope VX-3HD 4.5-14X40 Side Focus CDS-ZL

SIGHTRON SIII 3.5-10x44 M/D SCOPE

Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10

Steiner Ranger 3-12x56 or 4-16x56

Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x44

I sure there are more I'm forgetting. I've backed out of buying the Meoptas so many times, because I can't see the turrets. If pushed I'd probably get the Leupold.

Please help. Thanks everyone in advance.

Well out of those IMHO the Meostar has excellent optical quality and the Leupold 3HD has some neat features like the custom drop dials and so forth. Don't think either one has an FFP reticule. Looking at a south african sporting goods website the prices you pay over there are out of this world. Apart from the currency difference it looks like a newer leupold tactical that sells for 2000USD over here sells for 50-60000 over there.

Hi,

@BCP, thanks for the reply. I think with the Meostar, R1 is FFP, R1r is SFP. I might have that the wrong way round. I think your right about the 3HD, but the turrets look nice.

I have obsessively look at everything I can find. The list I posted is pretty comprehensive for the price bracket I mention and my requirements.

My question, incase I didn't make it clear.

Given those that I listed all cost more or less the same, which would you recommend.

If you think of anything I don't have listed that might work, I will see if I can find it this side, and if it fits the budget.