• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hunting scope input desired - NF vs. Nikon Gold

Short Round

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
Glens Falls, NY
I've been kicking around replacing my Zeiss conquest on my custom sporter weight .260, it's a 3.5-10x40 with their Zsomething or other range compensating reticle. Frankly on dark gloomy days at the magic evening watch time you can't use that reticle as it pretty much disappears. Would work if it was illuminated but it's not.

I've been kicking around 3 scopes;
Nikon monarch 4-16x50 (1" tube)
Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10x50 (30mm tube)
NF compact 3.5-10x32 (30mm tube and lit reticle but not real happy with the reticle choices, they're all moa except the mildot, no MLR avail in that line)

Max range is about 500 yards, can get lots of wind off the lake so I generally self limit to 400 yards. That blind is just about a bench rest and we leave bags in there. If the conditions were right yea I'd take a shot.

Anyways I am not sure about the NF compacts with the downside of no knob covers, not big on their reticle choices, not sure if the NF compact is as bright as the tactical scopes. Plus is it's a lit reticle so that would eliminate the loss of the reticle issue at dusk. Their new compensating reticles have a slow, medium, and fast version and are a near twin to the zeiss only lit.

The Monarch Gold is about half the price, not lit but reported to be pretty damn bright and usable with a 30mm tube and a 50mm obj. Doesn't hurt I know a nikon rep that can get me a heck of a deal on any in the line.

The regular Monarchs are no piece of crap either, I was thinking about the 4-16x50 just to give a little more magnification for grading racks. good knobs for reliable changing for range instead of using reticle holdovers. I have binos, good ones too, but really don't want binos, a spotting scope, and an oversized rifle scope. (I'm not glassing with the rifle but at 400 yards the 16x beats the 8x kowa's when I've already spotted a deer)

OK, I've blathered on. Any dirt on the Monarch Gold and the NF 3.5-10x32? Got to be some opinions here on what works. I didn't get many hits on the monarch gold with my searches other than in the for sale ads. That's not reassuring to me. In fact even searching the whole net I didn't find a lot of pros or cons on the Monarch Gold.

Re: Hunting scope input desired - NF vs. Nikon Gold

Damn, nobody has nothing on these scopes?

I realize they're not my NXS 5.5-22x50 on the heavy SPR in .260 but I figured there'd be some hunting rifle scope discussion here.

I want to say nikon but nightforce has SUCH a good rep. i guess its personal prefrence, what you need while hunting.

Another option would be an US Optics 1.8-10x37

Interesting, didn't know about the US OPtics scope.

Chris, is the NF 3.5-10x32 noticeabley better than the zeiss conquest at dusk? I was rather disappointed with the conquest and all the reviews said how bright they were. I couldn't use my compensating 600Z reticle on cloudy dark days.

I tried your number but you guys are on Miller time now. (no shame in that!!!)

I got my last 2 NF's from you guys, I could easily be up for a 3rd if will do what I want. Still not a fan of their reticle options, only mil is in the mil dot with 3 or 4 MOA reticles available.

I saw on your website that they have a mil dot/mil with tactical knobs but not one with capped knobs, that only comes with mil dot with moa knobs :-/. Also didn't see what the inside adjustment knob is like. Heck I didn't even see the capped knob option on the NF web site.

I keep coming back to the NF for the lit reticle.

What about a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10?

+1 I would seriously consider the vortex.

I can't comment on the Nikons, but.... the Nightforce compact is awesome. I have one on a 6mm turbo custom AR build that I coyote hunt with. I love the Velocity illuminated reticle. Its fast, precise, light and clear. I would think the range you are talking about, it couldn't be beat. Just my two cents.

I am very happy with Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 that I have on my hunting rig. Glass is bright and eye box is forgiving in different positions.

I have two Gold’s, a 2.5-10x50 (niko plex)and a 1.something-6x42 I think... it has the German 4 reticle and is my low light scope for my muzzleloader. The other resides on my squirrel rifle. Both are great in low light.

The only reason for pause on the NF is the small objective size and a few folks that hunt in dark environments have posted here in the past that they wish for a larger objective size.If they had a model with 40mm or 42mm obj I’d have one to go along with my 3.5-15.

I will add, the muzzleloader took a drop last year from about 6 feet (my own stupidity in the dark) and landed right on the scope. Later that morning when I came in for lunch I shot it to make sure the impact had not been affected. The shot hit true.

Thanks for the input guys. Always like hearing from guys with in hand experience with stuff.

FWIW I'm not looking for another big honking tactical scope, more a standard sized hunting scope but with good knobs, possibly low profile tactical knobs for dialing. I'm starting to think dialing and a more basic reticle are more reliable than the don't mess with any knob use reticle approach.

The conquest was supposed to be the no dialing everything is on the reticle choice but if you can't use the reticle in the final minutes of still legal hunting hours....well you get the issue.

Well I may just be waiting one more season before making a change based on Chris's offline advice.